Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
T & C Surfer Magazine Grom Contest this weekend in Waikiki
05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
T & C Surfer Magazine Grom Contest this weekend in Waikiki
This is a surf contest for child surfers age 14 and younger. It takes place on May 21-22 from 7 am to 5 pm at a legendary surf spot in the heart of Waikiki, right on Kuhio Beach in front of the popular Duke Kahanamoku Statue.

T & C Surf organizes this event each year to introduce kids to the world of surfing in a fun way. The contest is only for young shortboarders, longboarders and bodyboarders who are not ranked in the top 15 NSSA or HASA standings. There will also be an adult/child tandem surf event where parents can join in the fun.

All participants receive a goodie bag that includes a T-shirt. Wahoo’s Fish Tacos, Enza Apples and Naked Juice will provide lunch. Entry forms for the contest are available at all T & C Surf locations, as well as online at TCSurf.com/grom11
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2011, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 03:10 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: T & C Surfer Magazine Grom Contest this weekend in Waikiki
Great post! I took my kids to this event last year and I got us t-shirts also. It's funny, whenever I wear this t-shirt, I get compliments from all the locals here. This event has been around for some time now.
Let me say something about their t-shirts though. The shirt is really nice except they put the decals on backwards. They put this little tiny writing on the front for the sponsors and the really nice decal on the back. Like if they were put on backwards. The nice decal should by all means be on the from and the sponsors on the back. If it wasn't for this mistake, I would wear the t-shirt more often.
Now they set up a lot of tents for booths along Waikiki Beach behind Duke's Statue and it goes eastward towards the ponds. They usually have one or two stages set up for some great rock n roll and what I call, "local beach' music. Sort of what it must of been like when the Beach Boys first came on scene in California. Just good,easy music to listen too.
There's plenty of shade to sit down either on the wall or on the grass and kick back. There's a shaved ice stand right next door behind the HPD substation for food and drinks or you can hit one of a dozen ABC Stores right across the street. Only in Waikiki, you will find every other store is an ABC Store and surprising enough,they are all busy.
If you really want to get a closer view of the surfing in this contest,the only way you can do that is taking an Outrigger ride on a canoe for $20 and lasts about one hour.
Now, I saved on our these Outrigger canoes about six months ago when we had some really high tides and one of them floated into the water and almost crashed into the two jetties that are located right along the shore there. I hurried over to the HPD substation to notify them and they called Phillip from that company and I ended up helping him to get it back onto the shore. He had to swim out to sea with a paddle to the canoe and paddle it back into the surf and then shore. I was able to ask a couple surfers who just finished doing some night surfing to help get it out of the water and onto dry ground. I was offered a free canoe ride someday but I wanted to wait until summer when the water is warmer,lol. Am I spoiled or what?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Time for your canoe ride because summer has arrived, lol. It's definitely getting warmer these days, including the ocean. I have been thinking of doing this canoe ride myself, but haven't had the time yet. Let me know after you're back if you would recommend it.
Find all posts by this user
05-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Hey bro! You can do that canoe ride while I am there and I will sit in the front of the canoe with a pina coloda while to ride me all over Waikiki!!!Big Grin