Current time: 12-14-2017, 07:14 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some general question about Hawaii :)
07-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Some general question about Hawaii :)
I'm a Swiss student, and i've planned to come in Hawaii to improve my english for 3 month.
I discoverd your website that is AMAZING ! Thank you very much for all the information !

I have 2 question about Hawaii, and was wondering if you could maybe help me ?

As i'll be there for 3 month, i would like to take a "pre-paid card" so i can have a number in Hawaii in case of emergency etc...What operator can you recommand me ? (I wont use so much, so i'm not interested in refliling like 60 $), so just something very simple (and yeah, i already have a phone)

My other question is about supermarket. I'll located in Waikiki (445 Seaside Avenue) and i was wondering were can I buy cheap "food" (like supermarket and so) (I dont have a car).

And, yeah, maybe a last one, i'm looking for buying a cheap bicycle, do you have any idea where i can get a old and cheap one ?

Thank's a lot

See you maybe in a few weeks in Honolulu

Nicolas Weber
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 08:38 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: Some general question about Hawaii :)
Aloha Nicolas and welcome to our forum.

You could get a prepaid phone from here http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone.html They have very cheap phones. I’m not sure you can just buy just a card with number here.

Regarding supermarkets, there really aren't many choices in Waikiki. There is one called Food Pantry (located on 2370 Kuhio Avenue), but it’s rather expensive. Other than that there are many restaurants and smaller eateries in Waikiki, as well as the 7-Eleven stores, where you can find smaller pre-packaged sandwiches. Then there is Don Quijote (located on 801 Kaheka Street) in the neighborhood Ala Moana. It’s about a 20-30 minute walk from Seaside Avenue. It’s a large supermarket, with many regular American foods, as well as Japanese foods. There’s also a Foodland at Ala Moana Shopping Center, next to the post office. And then there is another Food Pantry in Waikiki (on Hobron Lane). You can take the bus to get to Ala Moana for shopping (Bus 8, 19, 20 or 42). Bus 2 and 13 go near the Don Quijote supermarket, see thebus.org for route information.One ticket is $2.50 and a monthly bus pass is $60.

You can find used and cheap bicycles on craigslist.org. On this site people sell all kinds of stuff, including bicycles. Also, Walmart sells cheap, but new bikes.
Find all posts by this user
07-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you !!! I've read everything tree times and make a copy for when i'll be in Hawaii !!!

Another question, is there some place that i should avoid in Honolulu (like "dangerous" place, with crime and so ? )

Thanks !

Nicolasweber8
07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
You're welcome Smile
I can't think of a place in Honolulu that is "dangerous". Here it's not like in many big cities on the continental U.S. where there are entire neighborhoods that it's best to stay away from. Certainly there is crime here too, but if you use common sense, you'll be fine. For example, you're more likely to encounter trouble at night. Stay away from unlit side streets, parks, etc. Also, there are areas where you're more likely to see drug dealing after dark. One example that comes to my mind would be Chinatown. In Waikiki, Kuhio Avenue has prostitutes at night.
Also, if you get a bike, make sure you lock it very well. Bicycle theft is very common here. You'll even have to get a lock for your bicycle seat and make sure you lock each wheel. Otherwise you may come back and have missing parts!
07-28-2015, 10:08 PM
(07-19-2012 06:56 AM)nicolasweber8 Wrote:  I'm a Swiss student, and i've planned to come in Hawaii to improve my english for 3 month.
I discoverd your website that is AMAZING ! Thank you very much for all the information !

I have 2 question about Hawaii, and was wondering if you could maybe help me ?

As i'll be there for 3 month, i would like to take a "pre-paid card" so i can have a number in Hawaii in case of emergency etc...What operator can you recommand me ? (I wont use so much, so i'm not interested in refliling like 60 $), so just something very simple (and yeah, i already have a phone)

My other question is about supermarket. I'll located in Waikiki (445 Seaside Avenue) and i was wondering were can I buy cheap "food" (like supermarket and so) (I dont have a car).

And, yeah, maybe a last one, i'm looking for buying a cheap bicycle, do you have any idea where i can get a old and cheap one ?

Thank's a lot

See you maybe in a few weeks in Honolulu

Nicolas Weber

Hello,
There are many stores providing sim cards you can get while you are in Hawaii. Just to let you know I used TCAWireless, got it all sorted before I left, and they were great. I got unlimited plans with international calling and texting. Now for the cheap food you can check Hi Steaks or Pai’s Deli