Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snorkeling on Oahu
09-25-2011, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:49 PM by eleakai.)
Snorkeling on Oahu
It was a very clear day today. I went to Hanauma Bay, Oahu's most popular snorkeling destination. There are several scenic lookout points on the cliffs and on a clear day, you can see three neighbor islands - Molokai, Maui and Lanai. Here are some photos of the beach, the park and the underwater world.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2011, 07:37 PM
RE: Snorkeling on Oahu
Ah yes, Hanauma Bay! I have spent many enjoyable hours (days) there. Years ago when the park wasn't regulated, one could go very early in the morning. It was then before the waves kicked up the sand and lotions clouded the waters that the large fish would come in over the reef. I have swam with Parrot fish as large as my leg there. My wife (while standing in the shallow water) had a Moray EEL swim between her legs.Smile When younger, I always enjoyed getting into the toilet bowl too. You take much better underwater pics than I do!
I could also point out for new visitors, there are van shuttles that will pick you up at your hotel and bring you back. It saves the risk of a parking lot full and perhaps a longer walk from the parking lot. I don't remember the exact cost but it didn't seem very expensive. We always have a rental car available when there but sometimes just easier to take the shuttle.
Snorkel gear is available for rent at the park, as well as a snack bar.
09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, it's a great place to snorkel. It must have been exciting in the early days when the park wasn't regulated yet. But I think I would freak out if a large moray eel tried to swim near me. One time a few years ago I went snorkeling there after dark. Once a month on a Saturday they keep the doors open for night divers (but I'm not sure if they still do that. This was a few years ago). So I got an waterproof flashlight and snorkeled over the reef. It was very spooky, especially when that big wave washed over me and filled my snorkel with water and I didn't dare to put my feet down because I was scared to step into an octopus or even worse, any critter with teeth!

Yes, it's a good idea to take a shuttle to Hanauma Bay. By lunchtime the parking lot is usually full and they turn people away. Or you can just take the public bus (Route #22). It leaves from Waikiki and it takes about 30-40 minutes to get to Hanauma Bay. So like that you don't have to worry about parking.

Toilet Bowl is closed. I think they shut access to it because it's a dangerous place and tourists often don't know the dangers of the ocean. Maybe the state didn't want to risk a lawsuit.
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Yes, I have heard that they have closed the toilet bowl some time ago. One has to be a pretty strong swimmer or one with a lack of common sense to do it. It was a good idea. At the same time, kids were diving into the lava tubes or vents and swim to the open sea. Now that one just took a lack of brains Smile I haven't even walked back there for probably 15 years.
I tried the public bus once and it was fun too. I was just too nervous in missing a return bus and having to walk all the way back home lol
I have never ventured past the reef. I have heard a few stories about the dangers there. In fact I am not comfortable after nearly 40 years of snorkeling to even go out after dark.

I have heard that folks do some whale watching from the bay. Have you ever seen any whale activity there?
10-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I have not seen any whale activity in the area. But also I don't think I have been to Hanauma Bay in whale season. I assume it is possible to see whales in the area too.