Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severe Weather Events in Hawaii
02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
RE: Severe Weather Events in Hawaii
No,we're fine here. Got a tiny bit of rain last night that lasted about five minutes and that was it. Then this morning,I was wondering why I'm getting messages from DEM about a new Flash Flood Watch and went to check out the radar on this site under our weather forum. What I discovered is that I don't think that I would like to live on Kauai over the last 72 hours. They are about to get pounded again this morning and it's massive. It stretches from the far side of Kauai all the way across the Kauai Channel to the west side of Oahu. It looks like I'm in the clear for this morning but will need to check the radar to see if we need to stick close to home today. I kinda was thinking of taking the kids to the Discovery Center over at Point Panic as an option.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Well, yesterday's weather has all the local weathermen scratching their heads today and wondering what happen. Yesterday morning I posted that a massive storm was approaching Kauai but then changed directions,moving towards Oahu. It looked like it was going to bring us a ton of rain and severe thunderstorms. What we got was about a half hour of thunder and lightning, and about ten minutes of light rain and that was it. So the bottom line was that what we were seeing on radar is not what we were seeing on the ground. Guy Hagi from channel 7 news here was speechless last night as to what was happening. So out of a massive storm, we basically didn't get any rain. They were still talking about this on the news this morning and the need to review all the data.
From my view, you could see last night's storm coming with lightning and thunder and the very high winds moving across the ocean even before it reached land. This the rain started and then stopped and then quiet for the rest of the night without rain.
Right now,it's dry and sunny but they are talking about more thunderstorms after midnight,we'll see I guess?
02-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I saw a fairly recent pic of Diamond Head, which was really green, unlike the dry brown it has been for several years. Are you needing rain, or just want it to do something or leave Smile
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
(02-22-2011 07:35 PM)mauibeachbum Wrote:  I saw a fairly recent pic of Diamond Head, which was really green, unlike the dry brown it has been for several years. Are you needing rain, or just want it to do something or leave Smile

Hello Rich,
This weather is being very elusive for the moment. It is popping up like popcorn and then disappearing as quick as it appears. Seriously, thunderstorms can appear out of nowhere and then vanish all in the same hour. We've had several lightning strikes(cloud to surface) with very loud thunder,start to ran and vanish.
So yeah,either get busy or get off the pot,lol. Now they are saying that tomorrow "could" be a very busy weather day. Maybe our Gov't is fine tuning their H.A.A.R.P. Project and causing our weird weather and earthquakes at the same time?
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 05:06 PM by kaniamea.)
It is really strange weather. Right now I can hear loud thunders I have never heard before in Hawaii. For a moment I thought Diamond Head is erupting, LOL! But seriously, the thunders here usually never last long and now I can hear thunders several times a minute for the last 15 minutes. I wonder what's brewing up there!
Find all posts by this user
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
(02-23-2011 05:05 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  It is really strange weather. Right now I can hear loud thunders I have never heard before in Hawaii. For a moment I thought Diamond Head is erupting, LOL! But seriously, the thunders here usually never last long and now I can hear thunders several times a minute for the last 15 minutes. I wonder what's brewing up there!

And that was only the beginning of what came out to be a fantastic evening and morning. We have a system that is sucking up tropical moisture from the south and firing at will. As it rotates in a circlar motion around the islands just to come back around again over and over. There was a crowd of photographers along the Ala Wai last night trying to capture the perfect shot and I got to talk to a few of them. They were trying to capture the lightning within a 30 second exposure shot and it then boils down to timing. I'm sure that some of them got lucky. I was content to watch it safely from my lanai but then walked onto the beach around midnight to watch lightning firing off like a strobe light for what seemed like hours. Now this is suppose to continue until noon on Friday and maybe we'll have another fantastic night again.
02-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Hope everything calms down in Hawaii! We are supposed to get winds up to 60 here in maryland today. Hopefully we are lucky and it does not get that bad!
02-25-2011, 05:26 AM
(02-25-2011 02:31 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  Hope everything calms down in Hawaii! We are supposed to get winds up to 60 here in maryland today. Hopefully we are lucky and it does not get that bad!

Oh no,Dude, I look forward to more weather like this,lol. I started a new thread about yesterday's wild weather events. I have included some pictures and videos.
As far as your weather, all I can say is-TAKE COVER!!!
I think 60mph isn't that bad unless you have a shake roof,lol?
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
From the NWS and D.E.M.-

FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH 6AM FRIDAY MORNING.
05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey you guys, you may want to check out this link to a thread below in a couple of hours. I believe it's going to be rockin n rollin soon and you can see everything with only a 6 minute delay. In fact,we have Kauai getting hit already,check it out.

http://www.to-hawaii.com/forums/Thread-L...an-Islands