Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severe Weather Events in Hawaii
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Severe Weather Events in Hawaii
We're had a serie of cold fronts with unstable air create some of the best lightning shows that I've ever witnessed. You had a full moon out illuminating every cloud and then cloud to cloud lightning dancing back and forth.
We're had severe flooding pretty much on all the islands with Kauai and Maui getting the worst of it. We've had large boulders roll off the mountains here and into people's homes. The good thing is that no one has died from these events.
Currently, we have two fronts merging together and should create some serious thunderstorms over the next 72 hours and a flash flood watch and advisory was issued this morning. We are having periods of heavy rain and then the sun come right back out. Not too bad in my book.
I'm looking forward to more lightning or Mother Nature's Light Show as I've heard it called here. Out of all these storms we've had the last several weeks,I've only heard thunder once.
I started this thread so people from other areas of the islands can post what happen where they live. We have a bunch thread coming for this section and it will take some time since I'm pretty busy over the holidays. Speaking of which, Happy New Years to everyone!
Below is also something wonderful that happens with our weather...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
RE: Severe Weather Events in Hawaii
I started this thread yesterday morning before we had such a wonderful lightning show last night. There were many Flash Flood Watches issue last night and they even interrupted local TV programming for these Severe Weather Warnings but as it turned out,even mother nature shows a lot of Aloha here. It was a bunch of flashes,then a very heavy rain downpour that lasted about 20 minutes here and then the rain stopped and the real light show began. This lasted until about 2:30 am in morning and done. I only heard thunder just once during this event and that was it. There was many people at the beach last night there to enjoy the show. Lots of ows and ahs and tried to shot some video to post here but it wasn't consistant enough to do that. Maybe I'll have better luck tonight or within the next 5 days or so. Only in Hawaii, is what I keep telling myself and how lucky I am to live here in paradise.Cool
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I also only heard one thunder and saw one lightning. But I was at home. Maybe outside it was more exciting. A friend of mine told me today that last night as she was driving home to Wahiawa she was terrified because of the lightning. She grew up here and because thunderstorms with lightning are such a rare event, she is not used to it. Because of all the recent rain, I also had some problems with my phone and Internet connection. My phone didn't work at all for 4 days. But luckily now it all works again.
Find all posts by this user
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011 11:53 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I has been cold here for over a week now and we just broke a new record of an overnite low of 57 degrees on the island of Kauai. That may not feel that cold to some of our ohana on the mainland but it does to us after you are use to the high 70's to mid 80's during the day. It is weather that will get you sick easy when you are only use to wearing shorts and a t-shirt everyday.
Starting tonight,we suppose to have a winter storm come in tonight and last all week with a break of sunshine on Tuesday. This winter storm is suppose to bring us localize flooding and a strong chance of thunderstorms,which I'm hoping for. More thunder and lightning leading up to a full moon soon. I'm hoping to capture a rainbow at night or what is called a moonbow. It will be a challege to capture but if I'm lucky enough to get one, I will post it here.
We just might see the weather here make the national news because of how large this storm looks like on the radar right now. Even if you don't see the clouds on radar,you can see it in the pictures below. If you are coming here for a vacation this week,I pray that you are not stuck in your hotel rooms the whole week. This is also suppose to be a severe wind event too and you add heavy rain and you will not be able to use an umbrella either. Not good,so good luck and try to stay dry.

It even looks cold here in these pictures and you definately need a jacket.
01-11-2011, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 02:19 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
As I started to explain last night about our incoming storm,it has officially arrived. We have bouts of light to heavy rain,thunderstorms on the westside of the island and then it hit Maui and Molokai counties hard.
They had a major landslide that blocked the main road in Lahaina that trapped drivers between that and the flooded roads in Kihei. The news footages here showed major thunder and lightning that came with the very heavy rains. They were not suppose to get this kind of weather until Wednesday or Thursday, so today was a "wet run" according to the mayor of Maui County. This is a good time for the county crews to spot problems before they become major disasters.
Tomorrow,we are suppose to have a break in the weather before the second and major portion of this storm front comes in. I cleaned up the lanai really good yesterday and took down all the christmas decorations and lights and just getting everything ready for this storm.
Today,we stocked up on can goods,cans of sterno,dry goods and general food items to last us a week so that we don't need to go out in this bad weather. If you noticed that I listed cans of Sterno Cooking Fuel,it is because these islands are prone to lose their electricty during storms and major earthquakes from the Big Island as we did in December of 2006 for one week and several days in 2009 as a result of lightning hitting our electric transmission towers and lines. It is also because we don't have natural gas here where we live and the stove and oven is electric. I actually feel safer without it and electric seems cleaner to me also.
Just a little known fact here unless you live here is that we experience broken water mains every single day somewhere on this island. Last week,we had a major break on Kapoilani at McCully,the week before that, it was at Kalakaua and Kuhio. Yesterday,was a real bad one on Ala Moana Blvd. So,all of my neighbors have told me to always have a heavy stock of fresh drinking water and soft drinks. You also need water to flush the toilets or to bathe with. Here is a trick that I have used before. Plug the bathtub before you bathe and then after you are done,you can pan that water into the tank of your toilet to flush it normally. Water that was used to clean dishes can also be used in the tank also.
To be really efficent,you can put a half or full gallon container of water in that same tank to do flushes with only half the amount of water needed to complete the flush. This is a trick you can do all the time to save water. It will save you $$$ on your monthly water bill.
Here is a tip that some people tend to be confused on. When you lose your power after a major event of any kind,use up the food in the bottom half of your fridge first and don't even dare open up your freezer until you are ready to cook and eat what is in there before losing everything. Opening the door to the freezer can speed up the thaw process by one or two days. A helpful tip,I like to fill up 20 oz. soda bottles and one liter soda bottles with water until 3/4's full and freeze them. Don't fill them to the top or they will balloon or break. I use them for my cooler on a daily basis and it will keep your freezer colder for longer in an emergency.
I try to make things light and fun because worry and panic is your worst enemy.
Now many people will be thinking that maybe they are suppose to use up their can goods first and the true answer is that you are suppose to use up your can and dry goods last.
I hope that these tips were helpful and informative. It is up to all of us to help each other any way that we can and this is my way of spreading the aloha to everyone here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
It was just announced that Maui residents are urged to boil their water before using it for cooking or drinking due to the very violent thunderstorms that hit them yesterday afternoon and evening. They were reporting from the Kula area,which I have no clue of exactly where that is located. Our second wave of storms is due to come in sometime tonight. Right now,it is just beautiful but I can see clouds building off in the distance. Maybe this will provide a wonderful sunset tonight and I hope to bring it here in a few hours. Gotta love this place!
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Guess I was lucky with my camping trip this past weekend. It rained a bit, but nothing too heavy. As for preparations, I always got food in my house that could last me for about a month. After the earthquake in 2006, I thought I better stock up in case something bigger ever happens. So I got some food bars and freeze dried food containers that have a 20-year shelf life. The only thing I can't really store is water because I have no room for that many containers. So I purchased a portable water filter. In a real emergency, I figured, I can always hike to one of the streams on the island and get water from there with this little portable device.
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
(01-11-2011 06:06 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  Guess I was lucky with my camping trip this past weekend. It rained a bit, but nothing too heavy. As for preparations, I always got food in my house that could last me for about a month. After the earthquake in 2006, I thought I better stock up in case something bigger ever happens. So I got some food bars and freeze dried food containers that have a 20-year shelf life. The only thing I can't really store is water because I have no room for that many containers. So I purchased a portable water filter. In a real emergency, I figured, I can always hike to one of the streams on the island and get water from there with this little portable device.

Yes, I guess that you could do just that,too funny. Yes,there is no easy answer to these things sometimes and we all need to manage the best that we can. Knowing your neighbors is helpful in these matters also. I will save you a bottle of water so that you don't have to look for a stream of dirty water,lol
01-12-2011, 03:19 AM
I just got back from the beach and the police are taking this merging storm front very seriously. We have two systems merging together at the same time and it looks pretty nasty on the radar screens here.
They were telling people to go back to their hotel rooms and they were telling the homeless to head to the local emergency shelter. One homeless woman was saying that they were not suppose to kick them out until 6am and that it wasn't about no storm. The surf looked bad also and was pretty rough.
I have about everything ready and even cancelled an appointment I had in the morning. Along with the storm and thunderstorms,we are suppose to have up to 50 MPH winds to go along with it according to NOAA Radio which you can also tune into on this forum site under our Weather Forums section. This maybe paradise 11 months and 14 days out of the year but this isn't one of those paradise days. I am sure that this storm will make the news in some way,shape or form before it is over. I will try to keep everyone up to date.
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 12:02 PM by eleakai.)
Based on the weather forecast I expected the rain to last the whole day, but it was just for a while. Here is a short video of today's rain.