Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Seeing all of Oahu
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:03 PM by eleakai.)
Seeing all of Oahu
One of the more frequent questions asked is about getting around the islands and the need for a rental car.
To narrow that comment down a little bit further, “I am staying on the beach in Waikiki, Oahu and want to experience some of the ‘must see’ things myself. How much time do I need to allow for ………………………”
Well, here is a chart I bumped into on the net. It should help with some of those comments.
Note at the very bottom, a remark that travel times will vary greatly at peak travel times so this chart is a suggested time and at non-peak hours.
The thumbnail as a attachment should open the file on your computer show you wish to print the chart.
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
RE: Seeing all of Oahu
This is a great chart! Mahalo for posting it here, Rich. I'm sure it will be very useful for the site visitors!
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Great post Rich!!!!! You da man!!!!!
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
(01-25-2011 02:27 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  Great post Rich!!!!! You da man!!!!!

I second that Rich!!!!! You Da Man!!!!!!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Is Laie near goat island. I'm thinking about snorkeling there. I understand it's a bird sanctuary, and I'll be totally respectful. I'm just very curious....
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
(04-20-2011 09:44 AM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  Is Laie near goat island. I'm thinking about snorkeling there. I understand it's a bird sanctuary, and I'll be totally respectful. I'm just very curious....

Yes it is. Just a quick note for folks that like to drink (Dude) and maybe excessively,lol. Laie is dominated by the Mormons and therefore no beer,wine or spirits are sold in this town. There are small markets north and south of this town that does but the best prices can be found at the Foodland store at the only traffic light on the North Shore, across from Pirate's Cove.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-21-2011, 02:25 AM
You can't drink at the Polynesian Cultural Center but I still love spending an entire day there. I can't wait to see the new show they do there now!
04-21-2011, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:03 PM by eleakai.)
(04-20-2011 09:44 AM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  Is Laie near goat island. I'm thinking about snorkeling there. I understand it's a bird sanctuary, and I'll be totally respectful. I'm just very curious....

Yes, Laie is near Goat Island. But to get to Goat Island, you would have to go through the Malaekahana campground (at the yellow gate that's on Kamehameha Highway), right after Laie. There is another campground further north that has a similar name (Malaekahana Cabins), but that's the wrong entry.

I have snorkeled right there a few times in the past. I actually have been to Goat Island twice and liked it there. The best beach on this small island is the one that's visible as you swim over. When I was there, I also saw a turtle. There was no one else on the island when I was there (I visited two times). The first time I was there, that was a few years ago, I walked a few steps inland, but there is a sign that says that the center of the island is off-limits because it's a seabird nesting area. I actually saw some eggs on the ground. So I went back to the beach.

Even though this is an exciting experience, I wouldn't recommend it for children or novice swimmers. On my first trip over, the ocean was calm, but the second time it was a bit rough. I swam over with a bodyboard. I wouldn't recommend walking over because there is a coral reef that is sharp and can hurt your feet (plus you can damage the coral easily by stepping on it). So it's best to swim over with a bodyboard, surfboard or kayak. It is tricky to swim over with nothing under your belly because the ocean is often times rough in that spot. The reason is because the incoming waves wash around Goat Island on both sides and in front of the island (between Oahu and Goat Island), they clash. This is right in the channel where you swim over. So the waves there come from the right and left.

Also, it is best to wear fins. The second time I paddled over there, I went with a friend of mine. He also had a bodyboard, but no fins. He had a hard time getting to the island because there was a strong current.

It's also good to be aware of the tide. The water is very shallow during low tide in this area, but deeper during high tide. I myself wouldn't try to snorkel there when the ocean is rough. The tricky thing is also that the ocean may appear calm, but then once you're out, you notice the currents. There are no lifeguards there. You can see pictures and a video here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/attractio...island.php
04-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Thank you kaniamea. I watched some Youtube videos, and it looked kind of dangerous. I'm the curious type, but I also don't want to over step my bounds, disturbing the nesting area. I may go there when we're in Hawaii, but maybe just looky, no touchy. And I thought maybe paddle boarding over but if the currents are rough, that probably wouldn't be a good idea.