Current time: 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
See what would happen if a mega tsumami hit Oahu
04-15-2011, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 01:19 PM by eleakai.)
See what would happen if a mega tsumami hit Oahu
I found this interesting and very scary video today on YouTube that I wanted to share with you. It was done by National Geographic and shows what would happen if a mega tsunami (generated by a landslide on the Big Island) was to hit Oahu. This tsunami could be in Honolulu within half an hour, they say. Let's hope this is never going to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 07:54 PM by kaniamea.)
RE: See what would happen if a mega tsumami hit Oahu
Wow! that is both amazing and scary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 02:00 AM
That would not be a fun day in Hawaii!!!! Yikes!
05-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Yes, it is really scary video. I hope this will never happen!
05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, it's even more scary when you live in one of the first buildings that gets hit in this video. Actually,those are clips from a Japanese movie from two or three years ago. There is nothing you can do if this ever happens.
Now,the finer points. We have 30 minutes from event to impact,not a lot of time. The reason that the wave will be so high here in Waikiki and Honolulu is because Waikiki is located inside the crest of a very large bay that has a coral reef that goes out a number of miles. The more gradual the coast line is, the more the wave gets to build in height.
Keep in mind that a portion of the south point of the Big Island has begun to separate since the big quake from December of 2006 and would give way like a hinge of a door and just break off and slide to the bottom of the ocean. Actually,this is a normal process from volcanoes to do this.The wild card in all of this is the fact that we have a new submarine volcano forming just outside of the south point called Loihi. This will form a new island in time. It is the formation of this new island that can somehow minimize the worst part of a landslide or make not so destructive,in theory only.
This is caused by the Pacific Plate moving westward over the magma hotspot to form new volcanoes and islands. By the way,the plates move about the same speed that our fingernails grow each year. So imagine how long your fingernails would be if you didn't trim them over a year's time.
So the wave flow would take go in about 6 to 10 miles,that would put it inland past the H-1 freeway. Actually, Waikiki would get hit from two directions at the same time. We discussed the scenario of a mega wave hitting Waikiki bay but we would also have a mega wave coming from Sandy's Beach Park to Kahala coming over the hill at University of Hawaii-Manoa and pushing the main wave into downtown Honolulu.
Now, we are looking at the same scenario of the east coast with such big cities like New York City to Miami from a massive landslide on the Canary Islands that is over a 1000 miles away to the east.
Let's just pray that this doesn't happen in our lifetime or our children's lifetime. You can worry yourself to death over this stuff or just accept the fact that we are on this earth for a very short time anyway. That is why we should live each day as if it was your last...
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, I like what you said at the end of your post. We should live our lives like every day is the last. It is true there is always a threat of a tsunami here, but there are potential threats elsewhere too, such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, volcanoes, etc. If the world comes to an end it would be for all! LOL. What do you think of the 2012 conspiracy theory? When you go to any bookstore there is a whole section of books about that date. I noticed in the last 5 years books about 2012 really became plentiful, while before that there were just of few of those. I think many of these authors just try to make quick money.
05-13-2011, 02:36 AM
So there was a book that says we are done in 2012? What date? I will need to try to get to Hawaii before it happens next year!
05-13-2011, 10:36 AM
It is really uncertain what exactly is going to happen and I haven't read any of those books. In fact, I have not been in a book store lately and didn't realize that there was so many books on the subject.
Please bare in mind that I an a veteran of a 1000 Psychic wars, Y2K, the cold war and a few others. I have learned that you can't judge things just on face value. I do understand that for some unexplained reason,the Mayan Calendar ends on December 12,2012. I really don't think the scientific community really knows the answer to that question either or the answer is so horrific to think about that our government can't and will not say what it is. Tie that in with one of the most deceptive presidents we've ever had in recent U.S. history and it's anyone's guess.
What I can offer is this. Start do and thinking like the way we should be thinking. Store at least three months of food,water,and medical supplies. Back up all your personal information on a thumb drive such as everyone's medical records in your family,creditors(accounts and phone numbers),deed to your house,vehicle pink slips and so on. Also, if you own a business,back up your files for all your accounts receivables so that you can get paid,don't worry about creditors,they will always find you or anyone you owe money to. Store extra cash,ATM's don't work when the power is off.
Think about putting yourself in a "what if" frame of mind and what would you need or how could I do this without that mode. Living on an island that has to be re-supplied every 8 days worth of food by Matson is a good enough reason to stock up on supplies. There is a lot of cool stuff on the market right now that many people are taking advantage of right now. I do own an emergency crank radio but I also own a WaterBob. It's a 100 gallon blatter that you lay down into your bathtub and fill up with water. This keeps water fresh for one month or more if you know how to treat it.
You can also buy a solar crank radio at your local American Red Cross or buy it on ebay. This will also charge up your cell phone with a USB port. So you can power your laptop also with one of these.
You can also pack "Go Bags" and be ready to move in a moments notice like I had to do when I lived in California with all of their wildfires. Which is nothing more than a backpack with your thumb drives, spare clothes,meds,five days of food(three days on mainland) back up all of your pictures on another thumb drive(comes handy if you are looking for a loved one like after a tsunami), ID cards with family members fingerprints(which can be done free at public events a couple times a year for children) and this is one of the ways that family members are found in hospitals and makeshift morgues. This is the reality of a disaster whether you like this last statement or not. I personally would rather know the truth than the uncertainty.
It is a fact,that people don't think about their own safety and survivability until something happens and then it's too late.What I am talking about is a lot of work just to get ready,try to do this in 10 minutes? It can't be done and that is very valuable time that will be wasted during an evacuation whether it is a tsunami,flood or earthquake.
The bottom line is that earth and us are a lot more fragile than we believe. I once went to the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago and looked down. The people and cars were just specks of salt and pepper, they had no value to me because I could not really see them,I knew it was people and cars but it was a reminder of what we really are in this world and that wasn't much.
I saw an interview on the Discovery Channel recently of a family that survived the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. One parent was in a position that none of us would ever want to be in and that was to decide which child they were going to save. They couldn't save both at the same time but by some miracle,they both survived. That must of been the worst feeling in the world to decide which one lives and which don't.
That is why we need to think ahead, pre-plan meeting points and points of contact so that we are not put into these positions. Sure it's a lot of work but you can sit down,write everything out and do it day by day until finished. Here is something else to think of, duplicating these "Go Bags" in a way that if one gets lost,it won't be as big of a problem. Like dividing the food and medical supplies among all the "Go Bags" instead of just one.
Here's another biggie, printing out your cell phone contacts instead of leaving them in your phone. Cell phones don't work so well after they get wet unless you have a waterproof phone like I have. My phone has been underwater a few times already and still works. Use a lot of ziploc bags for power cords,clothes,shoes,work gloves or everything dry and dust-free. There is another good reason for this also,these "go bags" will float and hold your weight if packed correctly. Here is one of my personal tricks- put the clothes in a vacuum "space bag". After you are in the water,you can release the cap and put more air into them.
As to theory, it's a take your pick situation. There is fires,floods,super volcanoes,asteroids,earthquakes,tsunamis or the earth could stop spinning and change magnetic poles. No one can really say. I have a friend that stored his garage with cups of noodles from top to bottom for Y2K and still had some left after so many years,you do remember Y2K?
05-14-2011, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2011 08:38 PM by kaniamea.)
Yes, I remember Y2k. But I didn't prepare for anything and instead went to celebrate New Year's. When it was midnight in Australia and the lights didn't go off there I was sure that Earth and all the computers on it would be fine Smile

I agree it's a good idea to be prepared for any type of disaster, even though you can't do much for really major things such as pole shifts, super tsunamis, super volcanoes, etc. But for survivable events it's certainly good to be prepared, no matter where you live. Here we're on a crowded island and if food doesn't get shipped here regularly, then that's bad news. We can't all just walk into the fields and rainforests to pick our fruits.

For 2012, some theories talk about apocalypse, but many others talk about more positive changes, such as consciousness shifts for humanity. And just because the Mayan calendar ends, in my opinion, it doesn't mean that the world will end. That's a fearful interpretation I believe. As if we'd be scared each year on December 31 when our yearly calendar ends.
05-14-2011, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2011 11:34 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Napoleon, Hitler, and Obama, history always seems to repeat itself. In all of these cases, they all involve great wars. The crisis in the Middle East will only get worse instead of better.
It was once asked what kind of weapons will be used in WWIII and there was no answer. The only reply is that WWIV would be fought with stones. Does this mean that man will destroy the earth? I can believe that if you can.
Man seems to have the tendencies of destroying everything in it's path. Pollution, DDT,oil spills,the ozone layer, IMF's, global warming and so on,we seem to be very efficient in destroying things to suit our own needs and I am guilty of that one myself. Every time I drive one of my cars or even turn on the light switch. Our carbon footprints are everywhere.
I would rather own a farm,own a solar power house and car(oh,I forgot,those don't exist yet?) and many other things that I should be doing.
I have thought about this for years now and I hope one day I could do this. I want to build my own self-sufficient home. Self-powered by solar, gas-powered by methane gas from my own septic tanks to operate my pool,spa and fire pit. Recycle my own trash into energy. I believe that this is all possible if our government takes the first steps first. Remove all the red tape for many of these projects. Let's see how we can improve our own environment. Let people build windmills for power without our neighbors complaining, let our cars power the power grids and so on. There is a lot more that can be done that we are not doing yet.
I have talked to Rich about this in the past. How my grandparents after WWII were only interested in farming and farming they did. They grew corn,Concord grapes,pickles,green beans,apples, and the list goes on. The point is that people are not interested in that anymore. Our youth isn't interested in that anymore either. It's too much work,too much to learn and isn't as fun as a video game either. What I have learned over the years and it did take a long time for me to learn is this, farmers are some of the smartest people on our planet. Go ahead and laugh.
How many of you know the Farmer's Almanac or even how to read it? How many of you know how to birth a calf? Raise horses,cows,chickens? How about how modern technology has been incorporated into farming with GPS? Yes,GPS, is now being used to keep track of the crops and even the soil. A GPS can tell you which section of a farm that needs soil sample to be tested and why it doesn't produce as much or when it's time to re-plant a crop because it's reached the end of it's life cycle. How many of you know about fertilizers and how they work?
This subject could go on and on. The point is that maybe we, as people, need to go back to the basics again and take what we know, and make them better. Take care of what we need to take care and not worry about what other people are doing. If anything,observe and learn. We simply can't afford to help the whole world anymore. They don't seem to appreciate our help anyway? We seem to care for the homeless in other countries than our own homeless in our own country. That is a very sad part of our lives these days. People need to learn to help our own people first.
End of the world? It could happen I suppose. Have you built your bomb shelters yet? Have you stocked up three years worth of food supplies? Have you gone out and try to educate yourself in Advance First Aids? How about some free classes with FEMA or the American Red Cross?
So if you haven't done any of this,then what have you done? As a first responder, I know that I will be disappointed with many people for not doing the basics. I can't feed you and I can't house you either. What I can do is get you to safety, treat your wounds with your own first aid kits and organize people's need to survive the best way that I've been trained. What I can offer is only what I've taken the time to learn and nothing more. After a disaster, it's to late to say "poor me, I should have learned to do that". Oh,you didn't take advantage of the free classes?