Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Relocating to Hawaii in beginning of October '14
03-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Rainbow Relocating to Hawaii in beginning of October '14
Hello,
I joined this forum to get some advice on our journey to paradise! My husband and I have been planning this move for the last 2 1/2 years and as the time is quickly approaching, I would like to get some feed back from some people who had first hand experience with what we are about to go through. We are planning to move to Kauai with our 4 year old basset hound. We would love to live in the Princeville area but will probably have to settle in Kapaa or Lihue until we get work. Any advise on finding work when we first get to the island? My husband works in the construction field and I have always worked as a nanny. Also during our research we are coming across a lot of info about the insects on Hawaii. How bad is this? How bad are the roaches, centipedes and poisonous spiders? Is there any type of pest control available for the poisonous ones? We live in Texas now and have had our run-ins with different types of bugs but it seems like Hawaii may be on another level with insects. Any advise or even your stories of moving (good and bad) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Christen and Tim Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: Relocating to Hawaii in beginning of October '14
Aloha Christen and Tim and welcome to our forum. I myself haven't lived on Kauai, only visited, so I don't know how difficult it is to find a job there in construction or as a nanny. I would check jobs sites (craigslist, careerbuilder and the local newspapers - The Garden Island and the Star Advertiser) to get an idea of what types of jobs are posted and how often. Regarding insects, I have never found them to be much of a concern. But then I also don't live out in the country. However, I go camping and hiking often and other than a few mosquitoes I haven't felt bothered by insects much. It's true Hawaii has roaches (including the big ones that can fly), but they are usually out on humid summer evenings/nights. The smaller roaches are more noticeable because they sometimes make it into your house. But if the kitchen is kept clean and no food is left lying around, it's all good.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply