Current time: 12-12-2017, 09:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Recommendations for cheap Oahu hotel and best beaches
11-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Recommendations for cheap Oahu hotel and best beaches
I will be traveling with my wife to Oahu (Honolulu) from Dec. 07 until 9 or 10, depending to our activities. Could you be so kind to tell me where is the best area to find hotel not too expensive (near to the beaches) to stay, because i have been reading about the traffic congestions in the city and we are not going to rent a car. So we will be moving by bus, taxi u other.
Other thing: are these beaches allowed to visit? There exists any restrictions or private areas?
Thanks again for your cooperation and sorry for my poor english.
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 04:00 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Recommendations for cheap Oahu hotel and best beaches
Aloha Ricardo,

Regarding your questions:

On Oahu, most of the hotels are located in Waikiki. That's east of downtown Honolulu. In Waikiki is where most visitors stay. And any hotel in this area is close to the beach. When my parents visited back in March, they stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel. This hotel is not directly in Waikiki, but right next to it. There's a good beach within walking distance (5 min.) and this beach is better than the one in Waikiki because Waikiki Beach has a reef and when you swim there, you can scratch your knees. Ala Moana Beach only has sand. But if you don't like swimming but rather surfing or bodyboarding, then Waikiki Beach is better. But even from Ala Moana Hotel, buses to Waikiki run every 5-10 minutes. The bus system is very good on the island and one fare costs just $2.25 no matter where on the island you want to go. You can use a bus ticket twice if it's within the time frame of about 3 hours (the tickets have an expiration time). If you take the bus, always ask for a ticket (sometimes the bus drivers only give you one if you ask for it). The buses go everywhere, no matter if you want to go to the north shore, east or west or within the city. Bus number 8,19,20 and 42 run between Waikiki and Ala Moana.

Another affordable hotel is the Big Surf Hotel (my parents once stayed here too). It's a budget hotel, between Ala Moana Beach and Waikiki Beach. See here: http://www.vrbo.com/10316

Here on this website are more listings, including the Ala Moana Hotel. Another more affordable one is the Ilikai. It's right on the beach.
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa...hu/waikiki

Now to the beaches. All beaches are open to the public in Hawaii. That's by law. So no matter what beach you want to visit, you can go. There is no such thing as a private beach. It's all open.

Also, there are many white-sand beaches on Oahu. Oahu and Kauai have the most white sand beaches. My personal favorite ones are:

Ala Moana Beach, Waimanalo Beach and a must-see: Kailua Beach and Lanikai Beach (on the east coast of the island).
https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k...chpark.php
https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/lanikaibeach.php

To get to Kailua, take bus number 56 (departure of all buses to the east coast are from Ala Moana Shopping Center). This is the major transfer point. Most routes leave from here. So it's quite convenient if you plan to stay at the Ala Moana Hotel.

Here is the link to the bus schedules: http://www.thebus.org/Route/Routes.asp

Whenever you're on the bus, just ask the driver where to get off. There are friendly and will let you know when it's time.
I hope this info helped.
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2010, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2010 05:46 PM by jeanlery2010.)
There are lots of hotels in Oahu. Fifty of them were luckily recognized by some sites. You can follow the advise of a friend in this site or you can try Pacific Beach Hotel if you are still planning to go back there. The guest service there is absolutely great. They have a perfect Room and Breakfast Buffet service starting from $159.
Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 07:23 AM
One of the first tidbits I learned from the locals here in Honolulu was about a company called Discount Hotels Hawaii. Many of the locals here seem to use their services when they come into town and then decide to stay the night,maybe because they were having too good of a time and didn't want to risk driving.
This company's mission is to fill up empty rooms at a discount that would normally go empty,of course. It's just next to impossible for a hotel to book every room every day. I deal with Hector and Grace who runs this company on a regular basis and they are top-notch at what they do. Keep in mind that they only do last minute bookings and up to 90 days at the most. I believe their cheapest bookings are around $49 for a standard room and $65 for a partial to full oceanview. Oceanfront rooms does cost extra but they will save you a ton of $$$ either way.
Their website is http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com or you can call them direct at 808-394-2112. I use them so often that I know their number by heart.Smile)
Give them a try, come back here and post how they worked out for you. I think you will like this company and the awesome service that they provide. Thumbs up!!!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 09:21 AM
(12-23-2010 07:23 AM)WonderinginWaikiki Wrote:  One of the first tidbits I learned from the locals here in Honolulu was about a company called Discount Hotels Hawaii. Many of the locals here seem to use their services when they come into town and then decide to stay the night,maybe because they were having too good of a time and didn't want to risk driving.
This company's mission is to fill up empty rooms at a discount that would normally go empty,of course. It's just next to impossible for a hotel to book every room every day. I deal with Hector and Grace who runs this company on a regular basis and they are top-notch at what
they do. Keep in mind that they only do last minute bookings and up to 90 days at the most. I believe their cheapest bookings are around $49 for a standard room and $65 for a partial to full oceanview. Oceanfront rooms does cost extra but they will save you a ton of $$$ either way.
Their website is http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com or you can call them direct at 808-394-2112. I use them so often that I know their number by heart.Smile)
Give them a try, come back here and post how they worked out for you. I think you will like this company and the awesome service that they provide. Thumbs up!!!

Hi all! I'm new to the site..but will tell you to avoid the Waikiki East!

It is dirty , terrible and the people were rude! My daughter an I were there in June..the room was very dirty, and I forgot an took my socks off and my feet were as black as coal! after waslking on the carpets.

I felt ill and they wouldn't even leet a friend and his family come up and check on me! In the mean time my daughter qwas trying to find a pop machine and was approached by a sleazy jerk that offered her money
for sex!

Needless to say..we moved to another hotel!

anne
12-23-2010, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 08:49 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Aloha Anne,
I know this place very well,both Ohana East and West. They are both owned by Outrigger Hotels and were not aware of this little known policy that both managers were doing to their customers.
In fact,they said that they only check for negative comments on Tripadvisor.com and then investigate it from there. I told them that I was giving Outriggers Hotels the benefit of a doubt and that I choose to call them instead of posting something negative on Tripadvisor. They did ask me to call them back in two weeks time and would let me know if they discovered any merits to my orginal call. They did say on my second call that what was happening wasn't their own policy and that the two managers would be handled by their HR department and thanked me for my calls. Which in a nutshell,doesn't mean anything and maybe still going on as we speak. I sure hope not because this is a civil rights violation in modern form.
So thank you Anne for bringing this to my attention and letting me know about this while you were visiting to take care of Eldon's ashes and sincerely thank you for trusting me with handling of his service on the North Shore. It's not a request I get too often but I have no fear in doing it. As you can tell, it's something that I was use to from my years in Vietnam after the war was over when the Vietnamese were afraid to go back to their country in the early 1980's to take their loved ones back to their place of birth.
This coming year when you come back or hopefully move here, I'll help you with your bookings so this doesn't happen to you again.

P.S.- I talked to Rich tonight and he will be coming over here to post also. I am getting all the Ohana together again and he has lots of pictures from his recent trip to Maui also.
12-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Aloha Anne!!!! I am out of the pokie!!!!LMAO Good to be in the same forum with you and the Hawaii ohanna! Looking forward to jibjabbing again!Smile
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Aloha Anne - I'm on here too. I won't be able to post very often, but I will be looking in daily. My fingers and feet are totally numb and it takes me too long to post since I can't feel the keys. Enid
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
(01-11-2011 03:53 PM)Guest Wrote:  Aloha Anne - I'm on here too. I won't be able to post very often, but I will be looking in daily. My fingers and feet are totally numb and it takes me too long to post since I can't feel the keys. Enid

Hello Enid,
It was great talking to you again always. I hope you can make the trip again on April 4-14th with your family. Tell Todd that I said "Aloha!" and that I hope he can help you dig out of the 9+ inches of snow. I am posting a picture of you from the Honolulu Toys for Tots Run that I'm not sure that you've seen before. I look forward into spending more time with you. I also would love for you to start a thread about your history of Hawaii from back in the 1960's until now. When was your first trip to Hawaii and what was that like? What was Hawaii like then? Was Kalakuaua always a one way street(I already know this answer but I don't know when it was changed) and how was the beach different then compared to now? I love your stories of Hawaii but I would love to see it here for everyone to read. Almost like your personal history of Hawaii. It would make for good reading.
I hope you like the picture?

01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
It looks like the April trip is off for now. The one girl who was coming lost her job because of her sick daughter, so she won't be able to afford it for a while. Darn I was really looking forward to it. As for me, I spent the whole day in emergency today. I caught a very bad cold, and they ended up putting me on an antibiotic to keep me from getting pneumonia.Thanks for posting the picture. As some of you will see, I don't look as good as I did a year ago, but I'm still fighting this cancer with all I've got.