Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about moving to Hawaii
04-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Questions about moving to Hawaii
Hey!

I am planning to move to Hawaii after next summer, (autumn 2013) I'm an american citizen but am currently living in Norway (grew up in Sweden) and have a few questions:

- Do I have to contact the Hawaiian government in advance before I just come there (how far in advance then)? or can I just arrive and bring all the paperwork then?

- Currently I'm working as a Visual Merchandiser at an interior decorating store, and was wondering if there might be any interior decorating stores to recommend, to apply for a job? (Will work with almost anything but would like to start with from the experience I have, as a VM)
And if there are daycares or kindergardens, do you have to have an education for that to get a job?

- What is the recommendation on searching for a job? I guess it would be easier to actually be in Hawaii and walk around with your cv, but is there a good website for applying for jobs via the internet that isn't craigslist?

These are just a few of the many questions, but I'll start slow and might find the answers on the way!

Thank you,
Lorenza
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: Questions about moving to Hawaii
Aloha Lorenza and welcome to our forum. If you're a U.S. citizen with a valid passport, then you don't have to contact the government before moving to Hawaii. Since Hawaii is a U.S. state, moving here is like moving to any other U.S. state. There is no paperwork (visas) involved for U.S. citizens who live abroad to move to the U.S.

I personally don't know any interior decorating stores so I can't recommend any. Generally speaking, job opportunities are most plentiful on the island of Oahu, so you may just google any store on Oahu and maybe something will come up. Yes, you're most likely to get a job in a kindergarten or daycare if you have a degree in this field, for example in early childhood education.

Yes, it's definitely better to apply for a job when you're already here in Hawaii. Besides craigslist, you can check the local newspapers, for example the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, as well as careerbuilder.com. There are also a few employment agencies you may want to contact.
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
RE: Questions about moving to Hawaii
Thank you so much for taking your time and answering my questions! Mahalo