Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:25 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prince Kuhio Celebration - Powerful kane (male) hula
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 03:36 PM by kaniamea.)
Prince Kuhio Celebration - Powerful kane (male) hula
A nine day celebration which began with 42nd Prince Kuhio Long Distance Canoe Race last Saturday 19th March comes to its culmination this Saturday, March 26th with the ‘Powerful Kane (male) Hula!’ This action packed Hula will be located in the main lobby of the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa on the South side of Kaua’i, the northern most of Hawaii’s main Islands.

The whole week has been held in celebration of Prince Kuhio, a man described as a true son of the Islands, someone who dedicated his life to the future well being of his people. As such the week has seen a plethora of events in his honor. By the time the hula comes around these will have included a Royal Dinner and Hawaiian Fashion Contest on Tuesday March 22nd, cultural demonstrations and craft fairs, Hawaiian entertainment evenings and even the first Island amateur boxing championship! The events are spread across Kauai, with many taking place at the Grand Hyatt leading up to the Hula on Saturday evening.

Saturday’s culmination of the week’s celebration will begin at 5:30pm in the main lobby and atrium of the Grand Hyatt Kauai with the magnetic sounds and amazing acrobatic feats of the Taiko Drummers! This rhythmic performance is sure to stir the senses with its wide variety of drums creating powerful sounds with metronomic precision and human elasticity!

The Taiko acrobatics are followed at 6:00pm by torch lighting, musicians and a keiki (children’s) hula. Then at 8:00pm, the main event takes place. This comes in the shape of the recently revived tradition of historic, native Hawaiian male chants and movement; performed by Na Kane O Keoneloa (the men of Keoneloa). The performance is a dynamic jaw-dropping display of strength, power and mystery produced through powerful chanting and hula in honor of Island traditions and of course Prince Kuhio!

All of the evening’s events are sure to attract a crowd and be fantastic entertainment for the whole family, as well as giving visitors a unique insight into Hawaiian culture and traditions. An added bonus is the beautiful grounds and surroundings of the Grand Hyatt Kaua’i Resort & Spa. So join in this Saturday 26th March to celebrate the life and work of one of Hawaii’s most famous and respected sons!

Where and When?

Lobby of the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
1571 Poipu Road
Koloa, HI 96756

Contact

Stella Burgess
Telephone: (808) 240 6369
Email: stella.burgess@hyatt.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
RE: Prince Kuhio Celebration - Powerful kane (male) hula
I like that part of Kauai! I stay at the Lawai Beach Resort that is close to that place. That part of Kauai is awesome. My resort is right across the street from one of the best restaurants on Kauai. I have also seen hawaiian monk seals in that area my last 4 trips!
03-29-2011, 10:43 AM
RE: Prince Kuhio Celebration - Powerful kane (male) hula
I hope you will have a great vacation on Kauai Smile Please take lots of pics from there and share them with us. I have seen the Lawai Beach Resort once but I did not get the chance to explore the area better.
Find all posts by this user