Current time: 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Popular Oahu hiking trail renovated
09-10-2012, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:37 PM by eleakai.)
Popular Oahu hiking trail renovated
One of the best and most popular hikes on Oahu is the Diamond Head Crater hike. The last stretch of the trail is the new section that was completed last year in the fall. In the past you had to climb a narrow and winding staircase to reach the top viewing platform. Now with the new trail and stairs in place it is much easier to get to the top. Here are some pictures from today showing the stunning views you can see as you climb up.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Popular Oahu hiking trail renovated
That is great. last summer(June 2011) I carried my 1 1/2 year old son all the way up as he squirmed in my arms and on my shoulders, and that spiral staircase with people coming down at the same time was a killer. And what really looks good to me is it looks like they replaced the guardrail at the top after you come out of the pillbox. I am scared of heights, and after that long hike, I came out on top, but part of the railing (the bottom part) was missing and all I could see was me sliding on the path and right off the volcano,so I turned around and went back. Now I will be able to make it to the top. You should have seen me at the Pali lookout last July, as I crawled over to the edge so I could take a picture as I clung like a cat to the cement wall.....
09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I just went to the Pali Lookout today. It was super windy. I could barely stand straight. I cannot imagine how you could crawl over to the edge! That picture must surely be one of a kind Smile I saw a feral cat there today who was doing the same thing, walking very close to the drop-off.
09-12-2012, 05:26 AM

No not over the edge, but TO the edge at the barrier( I attached a picture of the barrier I am refering to), the great picture would have been of me looking like an idiot on my hands and knees as I held the camera over the edge (I got a great picture of a bush!!) and yes it was super windy and my son loved it!!
09-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Great shots and a great story! Smile
09-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Unless I completely missed it, they have no notification that you can go the new way. At least not that I saw when I brought my boys there this past March. The stairs killed my already messed up upper back, the boys had fun playing on them of course but it sure would have been nice to know had we gone left instead of right, we would have gotten a whole nother lol view as well!!