Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Planning a big move in July!
01-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Smile Planning a big move in July!
My husband and 2 boys and I are planning on making a big move to Hawaii from NY. I would like to keep going to school to work towards my RN. How hard is it to transfer all my stuff to HCC? Plus, we are wondering how the locals react to new people coming in to Hawaii? We moved to GA in '95 and they were really nice to us as long as we weren't in our vehicle with NY plates. We have noticed there are a lot of jobs on Craigslist for construction, cleaning and medical. Do a lot of employers hire people from Hawaii as much as they hire outsiders? And how is the cell phone reception? We are currently Verizon. Do they have towers on the islands?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 04:07 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: Planning a big move in July!
Aloha Traycar and welcome to our forum. Which Hawaiian island are you moving to? I guess to Oahu since you mentioned you'd be studying at HCC? I don't know how easy it will be to transfer to this school. I think best is to ask the school. As far as how locals react to newcomers, I think on Oahu no one will really know you're a newcomer simply because the island is home to almost a million people so you can't tell who is new and who is not. People move to Hawaii all the time so you won't be standing out. When it comes to finding a job the same is true in Hawaii as elsewhere. It's always easier to find a good job with connections. But of course employers also hire outsiders if they feel the person is qualified for the job. In Honolulu I've never had problems with cell phone reception. You can see cell phone coverage maps of various providers here: http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/hi...page1.html
01-04-2013, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 06:55 AM by kaniamea.)
Aloha! Thanks for the information! We are currently doing a ton of research to make sure this is the move for us. Do you have any suggestions or advice? It is scary and exciting all in the same breath!
01-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Yes, a move is always a lot of work. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to help with what I know.
01-06-2013, 09:48 AM
My husband and I have been checking craigslist for rentals. We came across one that said taxes and utilities included. Does this mean that when we rent a place that they are going to charge a tax that is not mentioned in the ad? And when it comes to car insurance, is it really expensive? Do a lot of people ride scooters more than drive cars?
01-06-2013, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 11:42 PM by kaniamea.)
Normally the taxes are included in the rental price, but most ads don't mention that. So usually the price you see in the ad will be the total rent. I don't know much about car insurances. But I don't think all that many people drive scooters in Hawaii because they want to save on insurance costs. Most scooter drivers that I see are male and young and they drive a scooter because they want to. I myself wouldn't get a scooter because I don't think Hawaii is a safe place to drive a scooter. Quite a few accidents every month. If you plan to live in Honolulu you can get by without a car. The public bus runs often and goes to all important locations. And it's even cheaper than a scooter.