Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:47 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Parts of Waikiki Beach Under Construction
02-11-2012, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:38 PM by eleakai.)
Parts of Waikiki Beach Under Construction
If you're currently visiting Waikiki, you may wonder why there's this large barge offshore and construction going on right on Waikiki Beach. It's because popular Waikiki Beach is literally disappearing due to the erosive force of the ocean. So the City decided that it's time for a sand replenishment project to bring the sand back. A barge is collecting about 24,000 cubic yards of sand offshore and pumping it through a pipe to the beach. Some local residents are concerned that the sand is being taken from the same area where ashes of the deceased have been scattered for generations. These include the ashes of famous people, including Don Ho and Duke Kahanamoku. Prior to the start of the 3-month project the state held a blessing ceremony and officials from the State Department of Land and Natural Resources told the people that work crews are sensitive to their concerns.

Kuhio Beach

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
RE: Parts of Waikiki Beach Under Construction
I recently booked a vacation to Waikiki through Costco for 3/21-3/28. At the time, I didn't realize there was a huge construction project going on. It will be my first real vacation with my husband and we are bringing along our 17-month old daughter. We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Can anyone comment on how much of the Waikiki beaches are closed (especially near the Hilton) or how disruptive the construction is to hanging out on the beach if they are open? I would greatly appreciate knowing what to expect.
Thanks so much, Debra
03-19-2012, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:39 PM by eleakai.)
Aloha Debra and welcome to our forum. Yes, I can understand your concern. The construction project is currently still going on. I'm posting some pictures below that I took last night and today. If you're staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, there is no construction in this area. In fact, this is the nicest area of Waikiki Beach because it has the widest stretch of sand. Also, a great place to swim for your little daughter is the calm Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon. The construction is only in the middle section of Waikiki, which is far from the Hilton, so you also won't hear the noise. Another nice area of Waikiki Beach is on the other end. It's called Kaimana Beach. There is also no construction there. So basically you don't have to be concerned because there is still plenty of Waikiki Beach without construction. Also, you may want to visit Ala Moana Beach Park because it's very family-friendly. For an overview of all areas of Waikiki Beach, see here: http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/mo...hotos.html

And here are some more photos from last night and today:

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach Sand Replenishment Project. They are currently pumping offshore sand back to Waikiki Beach in an effort to widen the beach.

Waikiki

Queen's Surf Beach

Waikiki Beach at night

Waikiki

03-20-2012, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 07:31 AM by kaniamea.)
Thanks so much for the response. We greatly appreciate it. We leave tomorrow and are looking very forward to our trip.

Thanks again, Debra
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
You're welcome. Have a great trip and enjoy your vacation!
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:39 PM by eleakai.)
The Kuhio Beach Sand Replenishment project is still going on. It is scheduled to be completed by the end of April. Here are some photos from today.

04-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Aloha everyone,
Unfortunately, there has been many delays for this project due to the weather and a early south swell. Also, during our last big thunderstorms,lightning hit the barge with the crane on it and some repairs had to be done. The goals and timeline for this project hasn't changed but I would not be surprised if this project went longer.
This project needs to move over to Ala Moana Beach Park and Magic Island. These are man-made beaches and has lost much of it's sand from the last two tsunamis and the beach has become rocky. They ran a story last week on channel 7 news here about that and the fact that the city has no plans for doing those two beaches while all the equipment is right there.
On the other hand,this does not surprise me at all though. The city of Honolulu is use to paying double for everything because the city leaders never have vision or foresight.
A good example would be the torches along Waikiki Beach or Kuhio Beach Park. Cheap,low quality gas lines were installed for the torches. Years goes by and a gas line develops a leak. Instead of spending the $600 to detect the leak and make the repairs,they tear out all of the torches and gas lines.
Once everyone noticed that the torches were missing and that they fired the torch runners,the complaints started coming by the sackfuls. In the meantime,the city spends another $50,000 to put new grass and sod in where they tore out the gas lines.
Then they re-install part of the torches on both sides of Dukes Statue and guess what, another ton of money for cheap gas lines and to replace the sod again.
Nothing this city does ever makes sense to the average person. I suppose part of the reason also is the fact that nothing in this town is done without the consent of all the local unions here. They seem to have a union for everything and payoffs is the name of the game here.
I've heard of people that started businesses here say that after you open a your business,that there is a constant flow of people from unions to just plain old thugs asking about who loaned you the money to open your business just to tap on their shoulder and ask why they didn't go through proper ($$$) channels to help you open your business.
If that is the way things are done here, I want no part of it here. It is easy to rock the boat here if you didn't grow up here and don't know a lot of people. It takes friendships to do things right and not ruffle feathers here. It's very understandable after you live here a while and start to understand how things are done. It's like a local chess board of sorts.
As to this project, the sand is very grey after it's been on the ocean floor all this time and has to be piled up for the sun to bleach it back to white again. At times, it has looked like Diamond Head on the beach. It's kind of an eyesore right now but it will look much more beautiful again after everything is done.
Plus, it's good to see something different every once in a while. The tsunami last March did so much damage to Waikiki Beach and I just feel that this is part of the recovery process. I just hope this year's tsunami does do this much damage as last year's tsunami did. That is why everyone here is so calm and serious when it comes to tsunamis,because they happen every year here. Just not as bad as 2004 and 2011 in Japan.
I store extra food and water for that and got my weather radio with the S.A.M.E. alert on it and bought it at the Hawaii Red Cross store which is now closed.
So,let's hope the sand sticks around for a while so we can enjoy it!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Hello, My family and I are planning a trip in October to Castle Waikiki and I was wondering how long is the construction going to last
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
It is scheduled to be completed by the end of April. See here for the official press release (download the PDF): http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/chair/pio/nr/2012...1.pdf/view
04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I think the city of Honolulu must of read my post above and will now be replenishing the sand at Honolulu #1 family beach,Ala Moana Beach Park along with Magic Island. They just announced on the evening news a couple nights ago that they will be trucking sand in to this beach park very shortly after all of the proper permits are secured.
They didn't specify where they were going to get the sand but if they are going to get some permits from DOT, then maybe it will be from the current project going on now at Waikiki and Kuhio Beach Parks? Either way,this is good news and that there must of been a lot of pressure from residents and tourists alike to make these improvements.
I can see that happening because Ala Moana Beach Park is only a short drive through Waikiki by way of the Hilton Hawaiian Village area. The two areas where the sand is coming from is already approved and all the equipment is already in place.
I like this idea a lot and really should be done if tourism is the only source of income for the city and state of Hawaii. Now if we can just get the Powerball Lottery game going here in Hawaii,everything would be just perfect!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user