Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paintings of Hawaiian artist Herb Kawainui Kane
05-22-2011, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 09:49 PM by kaniamea.)
Paintings of Hawaiian artist Herb Kawainui Kane
One of the greatest Hawaiian artists was Herb Kawainui Kane. He passed away on March 8, 2011, at the age of 82. He has done some great paintings of ancient Hawaii. The amount of detail in his works is amazing. He has also written a few books. One of my favorite ones is titled Ancient Hawaii, which also includes color prints of many of his paintings.

His paintings are on display at several locations in Hawaii. One of them is the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel in Waikiki. I was there today and took a few photos. The paintings are in the hotel lobby. Another of his paintings I saw in the Jaggar Museum in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. It is of Pele, the Hawaiian fire goddess. There are more of his paintings there too, but I only photographed the Pele painting.

Kane was also the one who designed the replica of an ancient Polynesian voyaging canoe, called Hokule'a. The canoe was launched on March 8, 1975, and has since then logged more than 100,000 miles on voyages between the Hawaiian Islands and the South Pacific, all without modern navigation instruments. So Herb Kane passed away exactly on the same day as the Hokule'a was launched.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2011, 01:50 AM
RE: Paintings of Hawaiian artist Herb Kawainui Kane
Nice pics
07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Sorry to read that Mr. Kane died last year.
09-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I didn’t realize he had past, or I would have paid more attention to his work the last time I was there. I really enjoy his style. I also have his book Ancient Hawaii. I think I will go and re-read it. I didn’t realize (of forgot about) him being the one that was so instrumental in the canoe voyage across the Pacific. I remember seeing it on TV when I was a kid and being fascinated by it. I saw a rerun on Natgeo channel(I think it was that channel) maybe a year ago and it truly was a epic event.
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
He was really a gifted artist, writer and historian. I also read his book Ancient Hawaii and the paintings in there are amazing too!
Find all posts by this user