Current time: 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Oahu west shore beach tour
05-29-2011, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 01:48 PM by eleakai.)
Oahu west shore beach tour
Today I went to Makaha Beach Park, which is located on Oahu's west shore. This is one of the best beaches in this part of the island. It's mainly visited by local residents since there aren't many hotels in this area and no tour groups go here. In the winter months, the waves are often times big here, 15+ feet, and this is when surf competitions take place. In the summer months, the waves aren't that high, but a strong current is still present. That's why you can see red warning flags posted on most days here.

The beach is quite scenic, with the Waianae Mountain Range in the background. Offshore, you can see dolphin and diving tour boats. If you plan to visit Makaha Beach, it's a good idea to bring water and some snacks with you in case you want to stay for the day because there aren't any stores near the beach. The closest supermarket is Tamura Supermarket in Waianae. Here are some pictures and a video of Makaha Beach, which I took today.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2011, 08:03 PM
RE: Oahu west shore beach tour
Those pictures are so beautiful, and I loved the video! The water looks so clear, and crystal blue.
I will be there in a month in a half, I'm so excited!!!
05-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, Makaha is one of the best beaches on Oahu's west shore. The best area for swimming is in the center of the beach. Towards the right where the hotel is, there is a reef. One time when I was bodyboarding there with a friend, he cut his toe and two weeks later it got infected and he needed surgery. He made the mistake of not disinfecting the cut right away, probably because it didn't look bad at all.

Besides surfing, the entire Makaha area is a prime diving and snorkeling destination. I have done a couple of boat tours here and the water is so transparent and crystal blue that it feels like you're flying across the reefs. It's so amazing. You can see all the way to the bottom, up to around 100 feet. If you do a tour early in the mornings, you'll be able to see many spinner dolphins excitedly jumping out of the water and doing their acrobatics. Some tours allow you to go in the water so you can observe the dolphins up close. There is also a place on the west shore called "cleaning station" for turtles. That's an area where you can literally see dozens of large and small green sea turtles on the ocean bottom and so-called cleaner fish swarming around them and cleaning their shells by eating off the algae.

There are two large pipes that pump warm water into the ocean here. The pipes are from the electricity-generating plant that is located across the highway. The plant uses ocean water to cool its turbines and then pumps the warm water back into the ocean via the underground pipes. This warm spot attracts plenty of tropical fish and in turn turtles who enjoy getting cleaned by the fish. There is also a coral reef on both sides of the pipes.
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm going to have to give the west shore (Makaha) a try. I have never been to that side of the island. I was also thinking about going to Ko Olina beach park. Maybe we'll go to Ko Olina, then head up to Makaha. Thanks for the great advice!!
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, Ko Olina is nice too. There are several sandy lagoons. And if you plan to do a boat tour, some of the tour boats leave from the harbor in Ko Olina. Other companies leave from the Waianae Boat Harbor, which is further to the north of Ko Olina.
06-02-2011, 06:45 AM
I wasn't planning on going on a boat tour, although I think it's something to consider. I just bought the Hawaii Entertainment savings book. Wondering-Waikiki told me I shouldn't go without one! I'm wondering if the book will have any coupons for boat tours? I should be getting it by next week, so I'll read through it Smile
Thanks for all the pictures and advice, I feel like I'm learning so much from everyone. And even though I have gone to Hawaii only twice, I am just skimming the surface of knowledge... But you guys are giving me so much great advice.
07-04-2011, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:59 PM by eleakai.)

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the west shore of Oahu. I first went to Pokai Bay. It was a bit busier than usual this time because of the long Independence Day weekend. There were many families barbecuing, playing in the water and having fun. I had a quick swim in the warm and shallow waters and after that I sunbathed for a while and then walked to the nearby small peninsula - Kane'ilio Point. The best spot here is at the end of the peninsula where you will find yourself surrounded by water on three sides. There is an ancient heiau (Hawaiian temple) that has three stone platforms. It overlooks the ocean and a long stretch of Oahu's west shore, all the way from Ma'ili Beach Park in the south to Lahilahi Point in the north. It's a great spot for a picnic and to enjoy the views of Pokai Bay, Waianae Boat Harbor, Waianae Mountain Range and Lualualei Beach Park. After eating my sandwich here I headed south to Ma'ili Beach Park, a long white-sand beach fronted by a shallow limestone shelf. Below you can see photos and videos from my trip. Enjoy!

Pokai Bay

Kuilioloa Heiau

View from Kaneilio Point

Lualualei Beach Park

Maili Beach Park

07-31-2011, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:58 PM by eleakai.)

Mauna Lahilahi Beach

This beach is called after a small mountain that you can see in some of the pictures. I stopped by today and walked along the shoreline. The southern end of the beach has a sheltered area that is great for swimming. It is in front of the Makaha Surfside condominium.

Turtle Beach

This is one of the best beaches on Oahu's leeward coast. Not many people know about it. The beach is called Turtle Beach beacause sometimes you can see green sea turtles feeding on the seaweed that grows on the reef. Today I did not see any turtles, but it was a nice sunny day and the ocean looked amazing.

Ulehawa Beach Park

Ulehawa is a very long and narrow beach park right next to the highway on Oahu's west shore. Even though the beach has strong currents and may not be the best spot for swimming, it is fun to sit down under a tree and look at the breaking waves.

08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Great beach pictures!
08-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks Rich!