Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oahu in the 1970's?
05-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Question Oahu in the 1970's?
I would love to hear your story about People, Places, Things, during the 1970's - hotels, clubs, restaurants, local story, entertainment. Also interested in story about the BareFoot Bar at Queens Beach, Kuhio Grill (South King or Beretania?) Pieces of Eight, Da Discos, Waikiki Beach, any and all photos from the time. I lived there at the time. Loved it. All story about the 70's welcome. Aloha. This is my first thread with ToHawaii.com.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: Oahu in the 1970's?
(05-18-2013 02:12 PM)Jimmy Fadink Wrote:  I would love to hear your story about People, Places, Things, during the 1970's - hotels, clubs, restaurants, local story, entertainment. Also interested in story about the BareFoot Bar at Queens Beach, Kuhio Grill (South King or Beretania?) Pieces of Eight, Da Discos, Waikiki Beach, any and all photos from the time. I lived there at the time. Loved it. All story about the 70's welcome. Aloha. This is my first thread with ToHawaii.com.

My most recent memory of Hawaii was in 1981 (sorry, a couple of years out of the seventies, but I also visited in the seventies but can't recall that far back).

When I was little (up until the age of 10), we used to travel as a family (usually my Mum, Dad, my sister and me; but on one occasion my Aunt and Grandparents also came along), to Hawaii every three years. We would stay for four weeks.

On the last trip, which I remember quite well, we rented an apartment in 'Foster Towers' (which is still there). It was on the 14th floor, facing the beach, and had two massive double bedrooms with the biggest beds I've ever seen (and I remember the floral bedspreads well) - I had to top and tail with my older sister, much to my disgust! - a massive lounge area, a large kitchen with a round table (which was very foreign to me we had a rectangular-shaped one at home) - two huge bathrooms, and a large deck off the front on which we ate our breakfast each morning. The deck was quite strange in that it had a railing, but you stepped up to eat at the table (it was on a stage, if you like), which must have been incredibly dangerous, being so high up! I remember being fascinated by the number of VW Beetles driving on the road below - just about every second car had to be one.

I remember it being excruiatingly hot at night, but we weren't allowed to leave our windows open.

I've looked at listings for 'Foster Towers' more recently, and aside from one for an apartment on the third floor (which has an open space balcony like I'm describing), they're all glassed in ... so maybe they made some changes to the building after my last visit or something?

Foster Towers had a huge rooftop pool and the building seemed a lot higher than other hotels surrounding it ... I remember being fascinated by looking down from the rooftop at all the other hotel pools being at ground level.

I still remember the smell of the Foster Tower apartment building like it was yesterday - it was that now-familiar 'hotel smell'. I'd never ridden in an elevator before going there, so it was quite a novelty, pushing the buttons and taking the ride.

We used to eat out at 'Jack in the Box' on a regular basis (I remember their delicious vanilla milkshakes), and I recall one evening very late we went into a Playboy store! (As in it sold merchandise, nothing else).

I remember going to a hotel restaurant somewhere within close proximity to Foster Towers. I don't recall the name of it, but we used to sit in lovely red velvet tub chairs where my sister and I would have 'Shirley Temples' (coke, with a cherry or two), and our parents would have something stronger. I think they did shows at this place as it it was huge, and there were many, many round tables dotted around. It also had a really high stud - the room was probably a couple of storeys high. I vaguely recall something about a large fish tank - whether it was being constructed at the time, or did exist, it was floor to ceiling in this bar, and spanned the entire width of the wall. It probably contained speciality fish. I wonder if it's still there?

I have lovely memories of Hawaii. It used to take us aaaages to get there (we traveled with Pan Am), but it was well worth the travel.

Nowadays, as an adult, I tend to go to Rarotonga which is far closer to my country and on par with a very unspoilt Hawaii ... it doesn't have all the high rises and excitement of Hawaii, but it does have the gorgeous weather, a currency I'm used to, and fantastic resorts.

I remember the bread tasted very different to what I was used to eating at home - it tasted like the bread rolls I buy at KFC now (almost sweet) - and the milk came in a carton ... ours came in bottles at home, so this was quite a novelty!

When we went to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre, we did so via black cars - sometimes limousines! - with dark blue-tinted windows! Now that was cool - we didn't have anything like that at home. (The limousines must have just been regular taxis looking for a fare, as we were just a regular family [as opposed to wealthy]).

I don't remember too much about Ala Moana, other than it had an underground parking lot (we didn't have anything like that at home), and there was a supermarket named something like 'Foodland' which had a bit of a ramp leading down to it (if my memory serves me correctly). I don't remember going to JC Penny, but my mother tells me I used to get really excited about going there.

I remember the long list of things people asked us to bring back for them as we didn't really have a lot of electronic stuff back home ... things like transistor radios were always at the top of the wish list.

I remember going to the beach for most of the day, and seeing people on blow-up lilos / beds, bobbing around in the ocean ... there was a large brick wall so they could only go so far, but that was amazing to watch as we didn't have people using things like that at our beach back at home (we still don't). Every night a tractor would come along and re-settle the sand, and people would be out with metal detectors trying to find precious items that others may have left behind.

I remember the air being hot, and the permanence of coconut oil and suntan lotion - both of which are triggers now and remind me of Hawaii.
Quote this message in a reply