Current time: 11-15-2018, 12:30 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving to Hawaii from Canada
07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Moving to Hawaii from Canada
Hello,

I will be visiting my boyfriend in September for 6 months in Hawaii. He is currently living and working there as an electrician. (FYI - 6 months is the maximum allowed time to visit hawaii with a canadian citizenship).

Anyways, I'd like to eventually live and work in hawaii.... I will be job hunting while i'm there and i will try to find a company that will sponsor me. However, am I allowed to apply for a work visa WHILE I am in Hawaii? or do I need to do this prior to entering Hawaii?

Thanks,

Mel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 07:15 AM
RE: Moving to Hawaii from Canada
Aloha Mel and welcome to our forum. I have heard from friends who have been in this position that you need to apply for a work visa before entering the U.S. if working in the U.S. is what you plan to do. In other words, a tourist visa (or entering under a visa waiver program) is for tourist purposes only. Also, you don't apply for a work visa yourself. The company that wants to sponsor you will have to do this. I would do some research on the official .gov site. The link is uscis.gov.
08-13-2015, 12:32 AM
RE: Moving to Hawaii from Canada
Living in Hawaii can be paradise everyday but there are many things to consider before packing your bags and buying a one way plane ticket. Although it is hard to imagine anyone not wanting to live in Hawaii there are some who move to the islands without visiting first or have no choice in the move and find that Hawaii is not for them.