Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:17 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Moving to Hawaii Regret
06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
RE: Moving to Hawaii Regret
You know, Hawaii isn't for everybody and everybody's vision of what Hawaii will be for them is different. In other words there's as many Hawaiis as there are people who live here. And remember there are four main Hawaiian islands, and each one offers a unique living experience. Here are my three main pieces of advice for anyone contemplating moving here: 1. You MUST be able to accept Hawaii on its own terms. It's part 50th state and part third-world country. If you cannot accept Hawaii on its terms, quite trying to make it conform to your mainland memories, then you won't ever be happy here. 2. Living in Hawaii is not the same as vacationing here. My suggestion is to come for at least a two to three month stay and see how the fit feels. Realistically Hawaii's main attraction is its "Best weather on the planet," as one of our local weather broadcasters likes to proclaim. For many folks that just isn't enough. 3. If you're not giddy, head-over-heels happy about being here and absorbing what Hawaii offers, then, yes, the downsides can mount and the happiness wanes. In my experience the folks who are happy here for the long term keep an open mind and are adventurous of spirit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I have to say that Tokyo is MUCH more expensive than Hawaii...

But it's too bad you didn't have a good experience. Maybe it was below what you were expecting? Usually our expectations of something determine is we love or hate something... Hope you find better places mainland.
03-05-2016, 07:46 AM
(04-20-2014 03:47 PM)tminker Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:13 AM)et123 Wrote:  In conclusion, do not move here. It is awful. Yes, the scenery is beautiful but the people are mean and it is not worth it. I wish I could go back in time and not move here.

I first visited Hawaii when I was 13. Fabulous experience. Moved to Oahu in 64-64 for my dad's health. I was "tested" at Kalani High School and apparently passed. Was odd being the minority but found mean people in all colors and wonderful people in all colors. Visited again and again and finally moved to Kihei, Maui for a test run of a year. Locals were generally friendly and helpful. The haoles (and I don't consider it a dirty word) in the condo complex we leased in, WERE stand-offish and snobby. Took a Hawaiian friend to the pool there and everyone got out of the water and left the area! I was shocked. I got lectured about "having THAT kind" in the complex and how we endangered ourselves and others by letting him STAY several nights at our place. With that attitude, if locals resent haoles, who can blame them???

OTOH, when we were looking for housing, a young man smilingly welcomed us and yelled, "Grandpa, some people want to look at the ohana". G-pa came out, took one look, said "wrong color" and left.

In general, if you're nice, obey customs and traditions and are friendly yourself, I found it was generally reciprocated. We're hoping to move back to Maui in the next two years, hopefully buying a house in a mixed neighborhood. We're not rich, but know how to DIY and live frugally.....in fact, prefer a simple life. We don't leave messes on the beaches, push into lines, trespass on private land or beaches, or act like we're superior or entitled. It's THEIR islands, despite history.

We're from the Pacific NW also, Lynnwood, but my heart is in Hawaii. Don't go if you expect Hawaii to adapt to you. You will have to make the adjustments and earn your place...as with any where else.

Marti

Good lord, I hope that your experience is a rarity as we've been making our moves to move there, to Oahu, in a year or so. I was born there (though I'm not Hawaiian),but never had a chance to live there as shortly after my birth my parents moved us to the mainland where they were from.

I grew up in the PacNorthwest, around the Seattle region (loved it there until the early/mid-80s influx), but have lived for the last twenty-six years in a little remote college burg in the South Western section of Washington for education/work reasons and desperately need to get out of this region and into a whole other kind of environment, both geographically and socially, before I get much older (I'm 54 now) and have always wanted to live in Hawaii since I was a little kid and would see the old family films and photos.

I've been researching Hawaii and Oahu for some years and do get jittery as not ever having been there I read some stories such as yours and from some native folks and think, wow, sounds almost like South Central L.A. But then I read other peoples' experiences and think, maybe those first folks are just overreacting or, if native, just trying to keep people from moving there. And so far, I've yet to be able to decide what the real experience is and would be.

After reading your post earlier today we discussed it and it just seems to reaffirm our idea of leaving everything in storage somewhere on the mainland and going over, with the idea of permanently staying, with just a backpack-sized situation and give it our best go and if after, say, two, three years things don't workout, then we could just pack our packs and skedaddle and not have to ship our stuff back with the attendant cost.

Despite my university connections and quite a few Islanders going to school here, really, they haven't been able to offer a true picture of what it would be like for a non-Hawaiian to move there. And even though my having been born there supposedly gives some degree of cache known as being a "local", as I've read and been told, I suspect that won't hold much water for Hawaiians.

But the fact is, the islands have been calling me since I could first remember. And over all the years of my life I've always felt something's missing, that being the I am NOT where I was born and need to live. I've always loved warm weather, tropical climes and being outdoors. And that's what I want for life in Hawaii.

I'm really bummed for you that you're having such an awful experience there. I hope it will somehow get better for you and the happiness you sought there will come to be. Best wishes.

I'd sure like to hear from others on here about their experiences moving to Hawaii from the mainland.

(03-05-2016 07:46 AM)akamarti Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 03:47 PM)tminker Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:13 AM)et123 Wrote:  In conclusion, do not move here. It is awful. Yes, the scenery is beautiful but the people are mean and it is not worth it. I wish I could go back in time and not move here.

I first visited Hawaii when I was 13. Fabulous experience. Moved to Oahu in 64-64 for my dad's health. I was "tested" at Kalani High School and apparently passed. Was odd being the minority but found mean people in all colors and wonderful people in all colors. Visited again and again and finally moved to Kihei, Maui for a test run of a year. Locals were generally friendly and helpful. The haoles (and I don't consider it a dirty word) in the condo complex we leased in, WERE stand-offish and snobby. Took a Hawaiian friend to the pool there and everyone got out of the water and left the area! I was shocked. I got lectured about "having THAT kind" in the complex and how we endangered ourselves and others by letting him STAY several nights at our place. With that attitude, if locals resent haoles, who can blame them???

OTOH, when we were looking for housing, a young man smilingly welcomed us and yelled, "Grandpa, some people want to look at the ohana". G-pa came out, took one look, said "wrong color" and left.

In general, if you're nice, obey customs and traditions and are friendly yourself, I found it was generally reciprocated. We're hoping to move back to Maui in the next two years, hopefully buying a house in a mixed neighborhood. We're not rich, but know how to DIY and live frugally.....in fact, prefer a simple life. We don't leave messes on the beaches, push into lines, trespass on private land or beaches, or act like we're superior or entitled. It's THEIR islands, despite history.

We're from the Pacific NW also, Lynnwood, but my heart is in Hawaii. Don't go if you expect Hawaii to adapt to you. You will have to make the adjustments and earn your place...as with any where else.

Marti

Good lord, I hope that your experience is a rarity as we've been making our moves to move there, to Oahu, in a year or so. I was born there (though I'm not Hawaiian),but never had a chance to live there as shortly after my birth my parents moved us to the mainland where they were from.

I grew up in the PacNorthwest, around the Seattle region (loved it there until the early/mid-80s influx), but have lived for the last twenty-six years in a little remote college burg in the South Western section of Washington for education/work reasons and desperately need to get out of this region and into a whole other kind of environment, both geographically and socially, before I get much older (I'm 54 now) and have always wanted to live in Hawaii since I was a little kid and would see the old family films and photos.

I've been researching Hawaii and Oahu for some years and do get jittery as not ever having been there I read some stories such as yours and from some native folks and think, wow, sounds almost like South Central L.A. But then I read other peoples' experiences and think, maybe those first folks are just overreacting or, if native, just trying to keep people from moving there. And so far, I've yet to be able to decide what the real experience is and would be.

After reading your post earlier today we discussed it and it just seems to reaffirm our idea of leaving everything in storage somewhere on the mainland and going over, with the idea of permanently staying, with just a backpack-sized situation and give it our best go and if after, say, two, three years things don't workout, then we could just pack our packs and skedaddle and not have to ship our stuff back with the attendant cost.

Despite my university connections and quite a few Islanders going to school here, really, they haven't been able to offer a true picture of what it would be like for a non-Hawaiian to move there. And even though my having been born there supposedly gives some degree of cache known as being a "local", as I've read and been told, I suspect that won't hold much water for Hawaiians.

But the fact is, the islands have been calling me since I could first remember. And over all the years of my life I've always felt something's missing, that being the I am NOT where I was born and need to live. I've always loved warm weather, tropical climes and being outdoors. And that's what I want for life in Hawaii.

I'm really bummed for you that you're having such an awful experience there. I hope it will somehow get better for you and the happiness you sought there will come to be. Best wishes.

I'd sure like to hear from others on here about their experiences moving to Hawaii from the mainland.

See above your post........be glad to communicate our experiences with you. Marti