Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Moving to Hawaii
05-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Moving to Hawaii
Hi Everyone Smile I have been visiting Hawaii since 2006 a couple of times a year. I fell in love with the people the culture and the peace that I have when I am there.
I have been wanting to live there for years, I am just trying to think of a way to make it happen. I was living in San Diego Ca for the past 14 years. I work at a private art school. I recently was transferred to our sister school in Portland Oregon. I have been here since February, my heart is broken as i really want to move to Hawaii.

It would be just me and my husband as my kids are grown. I have been applying to many jobs but I either get no reply or sorry you have not been chosen to move forward. I even spoke to a headhunter there and she said they dont like hiring anyone from the Mainland, you need to live here. I dont want to move without a job unless I have to.

I have a Masters Degree and I am educated. I work as a Assistant Director at the moment. I am leasing a house at the moment and my lease is up in July. So I have to make a decision soon. I am thinking of selling what things I can and trying to ship the rest. I just dont know how to make my dream happen.

If I stay pass July I will have to sign a years lease. I cant imagine staying here any longer. I wanted to know if anyone knows how I could go about to find a job and a place to live? and Maybe a shipping company as well. I am under no delusion as to how my life will be different but the hustle and bustle and sitting in traffic and the corporate world is soul crushing at my age. I dont have alot of money but I am hoping enough to get me there and on my feet for a couple of months or less.

I am still young enough I have years ahead of me to work I just need someone there to give me a chance. I need some advice anything you can tell me to help will be greatly appreciated. I need help to make my dream come true. Most people here think I am crazy for wanting to sell everything and just move there without a job but staying here and working myself to death and not living is even crazier. HELP Please !!! NEED GUIDANCE ...

Mahalo!
Fayeb54
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 03:54 PM
RE: Moving to Hawaii
Aloha Fayeb and welcome to our forum! It sounds like an exciting dream to move to Hawaii, but I can also understand your concerns (what if you don't find a job right away, a good place to live, etc.). Many people have been in your shoes before. Some have tried and been successful while others didn't like Hawaii as much as they had thought and moved back to the Mainland after a couple of years. It is good that you have visited Hawaii a few times already (there are quite a few people who move to Hawaii who have never been here before). Just keep in mind that being on vacation in Hawaii is different than living here. You're probably aware that salaries are typically lower than on the Mainland, while everything else (rent, cost of food, etc.) is more expensive.

It's true that many employers require that you already live here before they hire you. If it's your dream to live and work in Hawaii, why don't you move here for a few months and try it out? You could rent a place for maybe 6 months and during this time apply for jobs. If you find a good job and you work here for a few months, you will know if you like it or not. If you don't try it, you will never know. Of course there's no guarantee that you will like it or if you'll be able to find a good job. So before you move here, plan to have at least 9-12 months of living expenses in a savings account. This way, you'll have enough money to cover your costs in case you can't find a job right away. Also, it might be best to put your belongings in a temporary storage on the Mainland. You can always ship things to Hawaii later once you're really sure you want to live here permanently. Oh, and one more thing. You said you don't like "the hustle and bustle and sitting in traffic." Keep in mind that Honolulu has really bad traffic. And many people work 2-3 jobs just to get by here because of the high prices.
Find all posts by this user
05-18-2015, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 07:20 AM by eleakai.)

Thank you so much for your reply, Great information and I am glad that you replied I was hoping someone would. It is nice to be nice to people as we all want the same in life happiness and peace and to leave a nice life, no matter where we live.

I am fortunate to have visited many times to Hawaii so I know the cost and how living there is different than a vacation. I think that you have one life to live so no matter where I end up living that it should be about my happiness and Hawaii gives me the peace and I truly admire the people and love the culture.

I dont want to regret not trying to fulfill my dream, thank you so much for your advice and kindness. If there is anyone else who reads my post please reply. I am looking to move there around July or beginning of August. I guess my greatest fear is going there with out a job but, if anyone knows anyone who maybe hiring or a place to rent as I am looking on craigslist but nothing so far. Also any advice on short term rental like extended stay hotel as i cant find one on the internet so far. Also how to get a PO BOX?

Thank you so much !!

Faye Smile
05-18-2015, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 08:27 AM by eleakai.)
It's not that there aren't many vacant apartments in Honolulu. There are tons! Most of them though are $3,000 and up per month. How much money are you hoping to pay on a rental?

It's easy to get a PO Box. You just go to any post office that has PO boxes and open one right there. You can choose to get one for 6 months or 12 months. Sometimes certain post offices don't have available PO boxes.

Not sure about extended stay hotels. There are short-term rentals here as well as vacation rentals, but again, it all depends on your budget.

Also, it will be difficult to rent a regular place on craigslist from the Mainland. Most landlords/rental agencies want to see you and they want you to inspect the place before you rent it.
11-18-2015, 02:20 AM
i wish you only the best for your Hawaii-Dream Smile

i am planning too, but im not sure if i want this really.