Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:21 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving - Need LOTS of advice! Like which neighborhood to look at in Honolulu
03-15-2012, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2012 01:45 PM by kaniamea.)
Shocked Moving - Need LOTS of advice! Like which neighborhood to look at in Honolulu
Aloha!

My boyfriend and I (and later, dog) are moving to Hawaii this July. We've both been accepted as transfer students (University of Hawaii at Manoa and Kapiolani Community College). I am going to have a TON of questions, so if you're in a similar situation or feel like you have advice to offer, please send me a private message or even a direct email!

MOST IMPORTANT... We are trying to narrow down the neighborhoods so we can do a better job looking. Also, we have found websites like Craigslist/Oahu, Easy Roomate, and RoommateFinder pretty helpful, but if you know of any others don't hesitate to share them with us!!
We are planning to start out sharing a house/apartment with other students (ideally another couple, but we like everyone!) to save on rent/bills/furniture. We would like to live within walking distance to as many of these as possible...one of the 2 universities, some kind of nightlife, maybe a general store to pick up milk/basic needs, and the beach. I am sure that there's no way we can be walking distance (10-20 blocks or so) to all of these things within a reasonable price, but the most important is one of the two schools! I would realllllly love to be able to walk/take a bike to a nearby cafe or two :-D

We also have questions about saving money, utility company/companies, cable company/companies, gym memberships (incl. student gym), less expensive groceries and fuel (I've got a gas buddy app, but I know I'll be missing out on my super Kroger discounts!!)

We also really enjoy involvement with the local Indian community where we live now, Gurdwara/ Temple, Indian restaurants, Indian -style bars/clubs, etc etc!! If any of you guys know about perhaps a "Little India" in Honolulu or any good places to check out let us know :-)

I hope you guys have some good feedback; Mahalo !!!

Chelsea & Ujjwal (Current location: Memphis, TN)
Quote this message in a reply