Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Moving Back to Hawaii
09-06-2015, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 01:07 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Moving Back to Hawaii
I personally have no experience with employment agencies, but it can't hurt to contact a few of them and see what they offer and how they might be of help.

On this site you'll find Oahu rental statistics:
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-...nt-trends/

As you can see, rents in Pearl City are a bit lower than in the metro Honolulu area.

Generally speaking, the further west you go (from Honolulu), the more affordable it gets. The same is not true though going east (the Hawaii Kai area is expensive).

Here is another article about Honolulu rental stats (this article is 4 years old though and in the meantime rents have increased):

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu...ezFepekbsk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 01:19 AM
Hey don, im originally from hawaii and grew up in ca.. Looking to go back possibly also, was in thailand last year, no way to pm you it looks like but if you leave a way to contact and talk that would be good. Aloha ted
03-25-2016, 02:00 AM
(09-08-2015 01:19 AM)Kauai808 Wrote:  Hey don, im originally from hawaii and grew up in ca.. Looking to go back possibly also, was in thailand last year, no way to pm you it looks like but if you leave a way to contact and talk that would be good. Aloha ted

I've been busy and off the site for a few months and so did not see your post until now. But things are happening. My wife has retired from her university position, and I've left my company. Some dental problems have cropped up, and that will take a few months to correct, but I'll probably head to Honolulu in about July. We're in the process now of getting my wife an Immigrant Visa. I'll head to Hawaii first, the wife will follow later. We're still undecided about selling our home in Bangkok or renting it out.

It will be challenging, a 57-year-old man looking for a job. Or 58 by the time I get there. We have enough to last for a while, but something will have to happen. My wife is 55 and may look to do some community-college work. She's a retired assistant professor with 30 years at a major uni here. Otherwise, she may continue doing translations, which she does some of now.
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
My Hawaii driver's license expired ears ago, and I no longer have a valid license from any state. However, I do have a Thai driver's license and an international driving permit valid for driving anywhere in the US. I'm wondering if I could get a new Hawaii license based on that.

Looks like I'll be there about mid-July.
04-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Aloha Don,
I think what you might have to do regarding getting a Hawaii driver's license is to first take the written test and then do the road test. This is what people usually have to do when presenting an international driver's license. You can get more info on http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/dllicense.html
Good luck with your move!
04-17-2016, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 03:18 AM by Bangkok Don.)
Thanks. I'll need something pretty soon after arrival to show US Immigration I'm really living there. I'm American, but we're trying to get my Thai wife an Immigrant Visa, and the only holdup on that now is my lack of a US address. I'll have to show proof I'm living in Hawaii -- an apartment lease, bank account, driver's license or state ID.

I'm not sure, but looking over the website info for the driver's license, I think I won't have to take the road test, just the written, due to my valid Thai driver's license and my international driving permit. It looks like they'll recognize those.

I recall the first time I lived in Hawaii, from 1991-93, changing my Texas license to a Hawaii license I took the writen exam but no road test. Had to surrender my Texas license though. I don't know if they'll make me surrender my Thai license since that's foreign.
04-23-2016, 05:24 PM
And I have my flight. I'll be in Honolulu in early August. I also have a place to stay secured until the end of that month.
07-02-2016, 12:00 PM
About four weeks away now. If there's any other advice, I'd be pleased to accept it. I'm a little discouraged that my thread has garnered a half-star rating, while the Moving to Hawaii Regret thread directly below it rates a full five stars. Sad But we've lived in Hawaii before, and I think we'll be okay.
07-02-2016, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 04:36 PM by eleakai.)
Have a great flight and first few weeks in Hawaii! Be prepared that the island has changed quite a bit since you were last here, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on the way you look at things. Good luck with everything! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences after you have settled here.
11-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Everything has gone well. I arrived on August 1 and have since found a nice apartment in Waikiki and a good job. The wife arrived in late September and is awaiting her green card. Yes, Hawaii is expensive, but it's all worked out so far. The only way it can work out is to be here. It won't work out if you're not here.

And as for the guy warning of $8-a-gallon milk (was that in this thread or another?), the place across the street from us sells it for $5.49 a gallon, while at Walmart it's $4.68. That's not much different from the $3 a liter I was paying in Bangkok.