Current time: 12-17-2017, 12:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Moving Back to Hawaii
10-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Moving Back to Hawaii
Aloha! This is my first post and my first thread. I am an American man married to a Thai lady. We are both graduates of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. In fact, that is where we met. After spending 2-1/2 years in Honolulu, we graduated with master's degrees in public health in December 1993 and moved back to Thailand the following month. (I had also lived in Thailand for a couple of years before Hawaii, so it was not that big of a move for me.) So we've been in the Bangkok area for coming up on 21 years now.

We're both mid-50s and thinking about returning to Hawaii. I was born and raised on the mainland but have no family left and no home in America anymore. Hawaii was my last American home. My wife has used her degree in her career as a university professor in Bangkok, but I never used mine, segueing into newspaper editing instead.

Our savings certainly would not last long in Hawaii, and I would need to find employment. I know a lot of people hit these boards with this topic, but I'm wondering what the market is these days for a man of late middle age such as myself. Again, I am a US citizen, so green cards or work permits wouldn't be an issue, at least not for me. We'd be looking to make the move in a couple of years probably and so would be even closer to 60 then. Any advice would be appreciated. A trip to Hawaii to test the waters would not be out of the question.

Mahalo!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: Moving Back to Hawaii
Just to add, I've already checked with the UH Alumni Association, of which the wife and I are members, but they don't offer much help in that regard.
10-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Aloha Don and welcome to our forum! That sounds like an exciting idea to move back to Hawaii. Here are a few tips that I can give you, but they are just that - tips. I'm no expert in any way. In case your wife is not a U.S. citizen, you'll need to sponsor her for a green card. She will need this permanent resident card to be able to live in the U.S. legally (even if she doesn't plan to work). To sponsor her, you will have to fulfill certain criteria. It is best to check the official government website for the criteria. To name just a few, you'll have to have filed U.S. income tax returns (even if you have been living abroad) and you have to prove U.S. domicile (or intention of creating a U.S. domicile). You'll also have to have U.S. sourced income or a certain amount of money in the bank to be her sponsor. I agree it's a good idea to visit first to test the waters and to see where exactly you would like to live. Maybe start networking while you're here and see what jobs you could get.
10-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks. My wife is not a US citizen, and she's not interested in citizenship. I have no family in the US anymore, and her family is all here. She does keep a 10-year visa in her passport, the latest in a series of them, and so far she's proved responsible. We don't anticipate any snags with red tape for her, and we'll check with the embassy here in Bangkok first.

I have been over here since before the Internet took off. Have heard of Craig's List, although mostly complaints about it. How reliable is something like that for job searching?
10-28-2014, 08:13 AM
It's ok if your wife is not interested in citizenship. However, to be able to live in the U.S. legally, she will have to obtain a permanent resident card (aka green card). One can remain in green card status forever (in other words, no need to become a citizen). What your wife now has in her passport is a 10-year B-2 visitor visa. This visa is a tourist visa and is valid for tourist purposes only. This visa allows people to visit the U.S. and spend a limited amount of time here on a vacation (usually 6 months at a time). So yes, while it's possible that the two of you visit Hawaii together, you will have to jump through some more hoops in order to live here together. You as the U.S. citizen will have to sponsor your wife for a green card, even if she has no intention of becoming a U.S. citizen. The visa she will initially get is called IR-1 visa.

Yes, craigslist is quite popular when it comes to finding jobs. I've seen all kinds of jobs advertised on craigslist, from entry level to executive level jobs. Also check monster.com and careerbuilder.com. Many jobs are also advertised on company websites directly. If you're really serious about moving back to Hawaii, I would first sort out the visa though to make sure you fulfill all the visa criteria. Otherwise looking for a job in Hawaii might be a waste of time.
11-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Thanks again. One more question. Is it true that local employers will often give preference to a UH grad? I left Hawaii right after receiving my degree and never tested that out.
11-17-2014, 08:09 AM
I don't know. I would think they give preference to the candidate with the highest qualifications and most experience.
12-01-2014, 06:14 PM
(11-17-2014 08:09 AM)eleakai Wrote:  I don't know. I would think they give preference to the candidate with the highest qualifications and most experience.

True. But if all other factors are equal, I've heard being a UH grad gives one an edge.
08-30-2015, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 05:25 AM by Bangkok Don.)
Aloha again. It's been awhile since I logged on, but now it looks like we'll be moving back to Hawaii in early to mid-2016. I was wondering about employment agencies. Not necessarily temp places, I know a lot of employment agencies are really temp help services. But are there any good actual employment agencies there?

(08-30-2015 05:01 AM)Bangkok Don Wrote:  Aloha again. It's been awhile since I logged on, but now it looks like we'll be moving back to Hawaii in early to mid-2016. I was wondering about employment agencies. Not necessarily temp places, I know a lot of employment agencies are really temp help services. But are there any good actual employment agencies there?

Just posted the above and have another question. We were wondering about the cost of living -- housing, basically -- in Pearl City. We have never spent much time in Pearly City but wondered how much rents are there compared with Honolulu. Just seems like it would be close enough to Honolulu for us and yet hopefully cheaper.
09-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Anyone?