Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maui and Lanai
10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
RE: Maui and Lanai
Bob-
You are certainly right. During the years of traveling on business, I spent many hours in airports and enjoyed walking through the gate areas that we inbound or outbound from/to Hawaii. It was a happy experience. Will be making my 18th visit to the islands in January. We so enjoy Maui but will include a few days on Kauai this trip also.
Thanks for your post! You are not alone Smile
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2011, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2011 06:27 PM by kaniamea.)
Glad we share some of the same observations! All the best on your next trip! Kauai is my favorite place, but we're headed for the Big Island, to live, in a couple of weeks. Every island has its character! Smile

--Bob
Find all posts by this user
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, they surely do and I love all of them. Envious I am, in your move to the islands. Good luck with the move. Can I ask what part of the island that you are moving to?
I like Kauai. It has some very pretty features and old world charm. I think that I am just spoiled by all of the beaches on Maui. I snorkel nearly every day when there and go to different beaches. We love the excitement of Oahu and try to go there every few years, but 15 minutes in the airport is about all that we will be doing on this trip.
Perhaps when you get relocated, you can become the "on the spot" reporter for the Big Island!
Rich
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Hello, Rich:

Thanks for your good thoughts! I'm not necessarily to be envied: I'm starting a new life, and there will be risks. But Hawaii isn't a bad place to fail, is it?
We have chosen Kailua-Kona on the Big island. There are many other parts of the Big Island which appeal to me (almost all of them, in fact), but Kailua-Kona at present has the better opportunities for employment and the conveniences of shopping, etc. It also has a sunny climate, with less humidity. This matters to me not just for comfort, but we also have books and electronics which are affected by humidity.
When you count the communities built near the Kohala luxury hotels as part of Kailua's orbit, it's a very wealthy area, yet ordinary folks can still afford to buy a house. I should have said "again afford", because five years ago it was hard to find a tract house for under half a million dollars. Prices now are back to mid-1990s levels.
Within commuting distance of Kailua is Captain Cook and the rural, old-Hawaii life of Kona coffee country, which has always been my desired area, but unfortunately there aren't many smaller properties available, so we'll plan on buying a modest home in the hills above Kailua.
I enjoy being an ordinary, educated person in an affluent community! The ability to network for employment and business opportunities, and the bookstores, historical sites and cultural life are stimulating.
That said, if you ask me where my dream would be, if earning a living were not an obstacle, I'll name a few other places on the Big Island: the towns of Hawi and Kapa'a in north Kohala (very remote, very old-Hawaii, but very expensive, because of the proximity to Kohala Ranch). I love Hamakua coast around Honoka'a and especially the highlands near Kalopa State Park and near Pauillo (crazy Roseanne Barr has her macnut farm up in there). North Hilo, near Onomea Bay and Laupahoehoe are magical, fabulous, with waterfalls everywhere. Hilo proper if you want to live in a friendly and very typical old Hawaii town, and it has a university.
But my present curiosity is one of the most fascinating places, that few people have visited: Pahala and Wood Valley, south of the the Volcanoes Park (on the way to Na'alehu). Past the great desert at the south end of the park, the scenery opens up to grasslands and mixed forest, with Pahala and a few other settlements. It's compelling for its remoteness, yet prosperous and self-contained, and the climate is near-perfect for anything. Coffee is being grown there now on the old sugar estates (and mac nuts also). Ka'u coffee, as it's known, may one day be the best coffee of all Hawaii. If I were ten years younger and had more money, that's where I'd want to be -- on a coffee farm in Pahala, a pioneer of an entirely new agricultural revolution! First tastings over recent years have me absolutely raving. [There: I've just let out the secret, LOL!]

About Kauai: it's hauntingly beautiful, maybe the most gorgeous island on earth. For about $5 million you could have a very nice piece of paradise in Hanalei. But anywhere, it's heaven. My personal preference for living would be around Lawai-Omao-Koloa, between Lihue and Poipu.

I've only been to Maui once, but it has arguably the best beaches and the livliest social life, and there is that spectacular drive to Hana which would never disappoint even a long-term resident. Work opportunities are probably fairly good, but real estate is higher than Kona (though less than Kauai).

I would LOVE to write a blog about Hawaii after we're settled! It would not only be for casual travelers, but would also include some in-depth reports on communities and history (both natural history and human history). The restaurants and tourist activities are already very well-covered.

I wish you all the best on your next trip, and I hope to remain a contributor to this discussion group (I'm brand new and still learning about everything).

Cheers,
--Bob

(11-01-2011 03:23 PM)mauibeachbum Wrote:  Yes, they surely do and I love all of them. Envious I am, in your move to the islands. Good luck with the move. Can I ask what part of the island that you are moving to?
I like Kauai. It has some very pretty features and old world charm. I think that I am just spoiled by all of the beaches on Maui. I snorkel nearly every day when there and go to different beaches. We love the excitement of Oahu and try to go there every few years, but 15 minutes in the airport is about all that we will be doing on this trip.
Perhaps when you get relocated, you can become the "on the spot" reporter for the Big Island!
Rich
11-01-2011, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:33 PM by eleakai.)
Hi Bob, it was really interesting to read your conversation with Rich. I wish you good luck with your upcoming move to the Big Island. It sounds very exciting. Kailua-Kona is a nice area and so much more affordable than many other areas in Hawaii. Also, what I like about the Big Island is that it is still relatively uncrowded (also when it comes to traffic) and that there is such a variety of natural environments and sceneries. One of my favorite areas is the Puna area and especially the Kapoho-Kalapana Road (also known as the Red Road). I like this scenic drive even more than the Road to Hana. I took a video and many pictures when I visited this area earlier this year. You can see it here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/blog/2011/03/2...-road-137/