Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maui and Lanai
04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Maui and Lanai
I vacationed on Maui and Lanai in 2009. I miss the green landscapes of Maui and the tranquility of the island of Lanai. It is true there is not much going on Lanai, but it is truly a unique island. I loved the Koele Resort the most and the large grassy areas and pine trees surrounding it. The air is cool and crisp all day long because it is situated at a higher elevation. On the other hand, 20 minutes down the road is the tropical Manele Resort where you can have the typical Hawaiian tropical atmosphere with palm trees and azure ocean views.
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 08:02 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: Maui and Lanai
I read the title of this thread and thought to myself what I could add to this thread since I am a resident of Hawaii now. I thought back to all the reasons why I moved here and the changes that occured from the time I decided to move here until the time I actually did move here. It's been a very long time dream for me and it only took me 16 years to finally get it done.
I first visit Hawaii back in the early 1990's when the state of Hawaii was very different. It was in it's hayday so to speak.When tourism was going full tilt boogie and the economy was doing very well. But over the last seven years or so,many negative changes have seem to have taken place.
Even though any website about Hawaii always seems to come from the heart and love of Hawaii and the nature of it's residents,some things I just can't look the other way on.
Yes,it's true that many states are going through a rough time with their budgets and the need to save money and cut corners seems to take priority. I have always believed that if a machine is running well,then don't tinker with it,but that is not what's happen here.
When I finally did move here, I found many of the things that kept bringing me back to Hawaii was either turned off,torn out,taken away or no longer maintained. All the beautiful scenic fountains were turned off,the torches along Waikiki's main avenue were removed and torch runners were gone and most of the drinking fountains no longer in service. Sand and trash seems to line the pier and walkways leading to our beautiful beaches for days or even weeks at a time.
The Hawaii Tourism Authority seems to throw millions and millions of dollars away to only get short-term results and I feel that tourism in Hawaii should be looked at in the longer term by fixing and maintaining the items I mentioned above. I understand the arguments the city of Honolulu and the state of Hawaii with their budgets but they need to get back to the basics. I probably haven't said anything yet that residents and tourists disagree with yet but I do have some observations of my own. If the city truely wants to save lots of money,lets start with basic services or the waste of those services.
Day in and day out, I have observed police vehicles racing around town here as if they were on the track at Daytona Raceway just to have six patrol units pull over an elderly couple who were driving a rental car with a burned out tail light. This is a danger to our community and a total waste of resources. We are talking about fuel,tires,brakes,oil changes(due to racing the engines) and god knows how many mishaps involving this kind of behavior by an entire police department. Don't get me wrong,each and every officer that I have met has been a perfect gentleman so far. No problems here but I would rather see these expenses put back into that fine oiled machine that we all once knew. Maybe you have observed something that is different than before also. Right now, we need ideas to get tourism dollars back into Hawaii.
I do want things to be like they were before but I'm also realistic about the state of our economy and how progress must go forward. Even simple things like replacing the scared lens of the camera for Duke's Statue would be a fine beginning. The software for these cameras are as old as I am in some cases. Just take a look at the surveillance screen when you walk into a bank or even your local 7-11's and you'll soon understand what I am talking about.
Even the way our local homeless population is handled would fall under human rights violations in other countries.I have been kicking around the idea of "Homeless Safe Zones" for sometime now that could centralize services and save millions in tax dollars in areas of police,fire,social services and yes,even city maintenance.Broken sprinklers and busted plumbing can be a direct result of our homeless population not to mention wearing out our landscape in our once beautiful parks. We can look the other way and refuse to believe this happens or we can face this head on and call our new mayor and tell him how we feel and what we see wrong and how they should start handling it correctly from now on. We simply can not sweep the homeless under a rug anymore and push them here and there. They've tried that and it does not work. We are no longer talking about bums,mainlanders or veterans, we are now talking about whole families with children and pets.
Yes,this is all going to take money and lots of it but we need to start somewhere and if going back to fixing the tourism machine and restructuring city services,that would be a good start and maybe new productive ideas will rise out of the ashes. This is my opinion and my opinion is based on my own observations. I have no claims to be an authority or expert in any fields of city government and the only things that I can agree to here is that I love Hawaii more than anything or other place I ever been to or ever lived. I miss the Hawaii that I fell in love with and that's how I can relate to this thread. Your opinion is very welcome also. Mahalo!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, I can relate to that. Even though I have not been to Hawaii in the 90s, I have seen many changes just in the last few years, similar to what you have observed (waste of resources in some areas but neglect in other areas). For example, I agree what you said about the police here. Often times even in my neighborhood they come as if it's the end of the world. Many police cars, a fire truck or ambulance and you think something big and bad must have happened. You're almost in a state of panic yourself. And then it turns out there was a small fight between a couple or something like that. So this can be frustrating for visitors as well because for many of them coming to Hawaii is a once-in-a-lifetime trip that they have maybe saved for for many years. And it can be a disappointment to see how crazy things can be here. Not just for this, but also regarding the many homeless people who often times look quite scary. Others are poor families with children like you said. It can make you feel bad just walking through Waikiki. Some homeless may not be aware where they are because they are too drugged out, but many others are not and are homeless because of unfortunate circumstances. In their case, safe zones can save their life. I wish Hawaii can improve in these areas so that in the future it will still be an appealing travel destination and place to live as well.
Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 02:10 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Yeah, it makes me very sad sometimes and I feel helpless that I can't do more to help them. We have given them food,money and clothes over the past year too. Sometimes, I see young people on Kapoilani Blvd or Ave,I don't recall which,with boots and walk up to vehicles for cash donations but I never see any of that money go to the homeless or I would of heard about it by now.
I see many of them with staph infections and then later on become amputees and you know that we all pay for that too. What makes me sad is that these types of things are preventable and could be handled easily in a "homeless safe zone" where firemen,paramedics,nurses and doctors could volunteer just a little bit of their time. From there,job training,help them set up email accounts and job searches,soup kitchens and daily working paeties could be established.
Another sad thing you see is families that do work but have not home. I see a stationwagon at my kid's school where you can tell people are living in it but the kids still go to school. That must really hurt a child later in life in front of their peers. I am just speechless sometimes and to see our president spend his vacations here and not make the rounds and see what is happenning all over America these days. It use to be mostly veterans living on the streets but now even they have plenty of company on the sidewalks and parks.
I don't want this thread to be all about sadness but I want people to read this and truely feel compelled to do sometime about it in their own hometowns. It would be nice it there was an easy way to help them but nothing in life is as easy as that. I'm very well respected here because I will give away the last dollar in my pocket because I know they could use it more than I can. If you do give because you read what I wrote,please don't just do it for that,give from the heart and give until it hurts. The more you give,the more that you get.That is so true to me.
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
I miss many things in Hawaii. The sunsets, the smell of the ocean and flowers, the happiness, surf boards, I could go on forever. I have been to Hawaii twice. May '07, and May '08. As others have discussed, I remember the homeless. I have traveled to many places, and homelessness is something that happens everywhere. But it seemed much worse in Hawaii. On my first trip to Hawaii (which was my honeymoon) my husband and I decided to check out what Waikiki was all about. We stayed at Park shore so we walked up Kalakaua ave. That's when I noticed several homeless people. It made me very sad. I felt like I wanted to help them, all of them. It was very overwhelming. As we walked I noticed a very wealthy man walk out of an ABC store with a sandwich, a bottle of juice, and $10, he walked up to a homeless man and handed him the food and money. The wealthy man smiled, and walked away. It was a very special moment, and the homeless man looked very grateful. So throughout our 2 week stay, I promised myself to do the very thing the wealthy man did, every day. Sometimes I did it twice a day. By the end of our trip, we were pretty tight, very tight actually. We ended up buying a slice of Pizza at Pizza hut at the airport and we shared it. The whole time we ate it, I didn't feel bad for myself. I was so happy I was able to "somewhat" help a handful.... Sorry this kinda went on forever.
04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Aloha HawaiianBinky and welcome to our ohana forum! Thank you for sharing your experiences that you have had here in Hawaii. It is wonderful you have helped many homeless people when you visited Waikiki. Yes, there are really many homeless people in Hawaii and their number keeps increasing, but thanks God there are warm-hearted people like you who don't pass them unnoticed.
04-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Something that I want to add to this is about a robbery that happen about two months ago to a friend that works at the Waikiki Marriott. His name is George and he is a valet attendant. We talk about cars and fishing mostly. During the Pro Bowl, there was a lot of sports stars that stayed at the Marriott and most of them rented many of the high end cars such as Lamborghini and Ferrari,you know,expensive cool cars.
Getting back to the robbery. A customer gave him their ticket and he grabs the keys and starts to run across the street after he hit the alarm button on the key fob.That unlocked the doors and turned on the lights of the rental car but he had to wait for the traffic to clear before crossing the road.
In the meantime, a homeless man was hiding behind the cars in the valet parking lot behind my building. He slide into the backseat of the rental car and wrapped his arm around my friends neck and demanded his tips and wallet. George actually panic and bolted out of the car and screaming his head off. He didn't know if the guy had a knife or gun and was very scared.
The homeless guy tried to make a stand but several other attendants rushed to my friends aid. The guy then takes off down the street towards us and another buddy I was talking to near Kalakaua. The man runs right up to us with all these guys chasing him and my buddy just cold-cocks the guy to the ground and holds him there to the ground until the police arrive.
As it turns out,the guy was drunk but admitted to police that he's done this before and never hurt anyone. He was from upstate Washington and got into a lot of trouble up there and the state of Washington bought him a one way ticket to Hawaii before winter started there.Now we are going to have to house and feed this guy in our prison system plus he becomes a resident of Hawaii in the meantime. That is one big crappy deal for the residents of Hawaii to put up with. This state's budget is already in trouble and now we have other states adding to our existing problems.
So our homeless issues are very complicated to say the least.In spite all that, this is still the best place to raise a family by far.
Look at the mainland, there is a country right to it that has a very violent war going on that has spilled out into the streets of America. Plus we have a president that wants to legalize these folks that slipped past our security,across our border and we know zip about them. Many of them are hardcore criminals and we are going to give them a free blank check to our homes and access to our children? The process has already begun and we as people of this country can't stop this process. We are given labels the minute we raise our voices and told how wrong we are for seeing or thinking what we see is true. Press 1 for English, give me a F%KN^%G break! I'm sorry,if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck,chances are it is a duck! We base our thinking and responses by what we see and what we experience.
If that isn't a good reason to move to Hawaii alone, I don't know what is? Even our schools are now better than the mainland. We changed our schools here and won the "Race to the top" program and now get $75 million dollars pumped into our public schools now. My son is in kindergarten and his class just got five new Mac computers.My kids are showing us how to find apps that we didn't know about.
As you read this, I want you to think about why Hawaii is the number one state to raise a family now and almost number one in every other category. We have the least amount of gun violence and the best police force in the country. That is what makes this state number one. On the other hand, this is one of the few places in the world that has tsunamis every year it seems. I'm still trying to get use to that one,lol.
04-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Wow, that is a lot to take in. I agree with what you're saying. I can't believe Washington would just ship him off there. I had no idea those kind of actions were taking place!!! And I may have felt bad for these particular homeless people. And I get a lot of them are taking advantage of the system. Its a hard call to make. DO you help them, or walk away cuz they'll most likely get something form someone else. I remember spending a vacation in San Diego, my friend and I decided to go clubbing. And we parked our car and went to like 4 different bars and clubs. While walking around we came upon a homeless woman. She was very over weight and in a wheel chair. She asked us for money and said she was so hungry so I gave her $10. My friend and I went on with our evening, and hours later we were walking back to our car, and the homeless woman came upon us again asking for money, and said she was starving, I was like, Hello don't you remember me? I gave you money a couple of hours ago. She was like oh right thank you. And went on her way. I don't know I felt cheated. I guess that's how they make a living, mooching off people. And reading about your experience is sad, and I know not all of them take advantage. But the ones that do are frustrating...To say the least.
04-19-2011, 04:43 AM
Actually, we adopted a homeless guy after we first moved here. He was getting by each day weaving baskets,hats and fish but he had staph infections on both legs. I gave him money for meds and medical supplies but in the end,he still lost a leg from the knee down. Another friend of mine hooked him up on the Big Island and he is doing very good now. He now does the same work but for a big hotel. As I'm typing this, I just realized that I haven't called him since the big tsunami that hit there last month. We lost three major hotels in the Kona area from those tsunamis. I never asked him what hotel he works at.
I have another one that we've been helping out for the last several months. He's a surfing instructor and was planning to start a business in Sendai, Japan where his wife and kids live. He was living in his van and sending money to his wife and then the tsunamis wipe that city off of the map. Since last month, he has sold his van and hooked up with an NGO to do relief work in the area where his wife and kids are. We know that they are alive and still living in the shell of their old home. Most of the damage to their home was caused by the earthquake and not the tsunami. Everyone has been helping him to raise money and equipment to go into those areas so badly hit. Then the Japanese government wouldn't let anymore Americans come there and that had him a little upset. Last week they started allowing everyone to go there again but it's hard to get any flights close enough due to the nuclear power plants and it changes everyday. One day the airport is open and the next it's not. Food and water is in short supply but yet we have warehouses after warehouses here in Honolulu of food and bottle water just sitting here waiting for authorization by the Japanese government and we are getting a little pissed off about that here.
So yes,you need to be very selective on who you help here. You also need to remember that some of these people have been homeless since they were kids and living at the beach is a way of life for them like that obese lady in the wheelchair. I have seen a lady here that fits that to a tee here. I have no idea what she or any of the others do with their money. I pray that they have brokerage accounts and socking that money away.Even panhandling is a way of life sometimes too.
You can worry yourself to death over this stuff and feel powerless to fix it. It's a problem the local governments here need to address properly instead of trying to sweep the problem under the rug. Our former mayor was an expert at abusing the homeless here and it's unclear on how our new mayor is going to handle this situation. I hope he doesn't start where Mufi left off. Many residents here are happy to see him out of the picture now.
So yes,we can talk all night about all the things we don't like here but it's really petty compared to what you see on the mainland today. I like to think about all the good things about Hawaii. The weather,the people and the ocean is this states biggest assets. Tourism is actually not on my mind these days. Waikiki will survive either way it seems. It's all about good food and meeting new friends it seems. I have met some of the coolest people while living here. Yeah,some are a little strange but we all find common ground here in Hawaii. Everyone just loves this tiny little speck on a map for it's beauty and it's people and not just Hawaiians either. Everyone!
10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Sensual Memories
I know it sounds weird, but the two most sensual things I miss when I'm back from Hawaii are mynah birds and the fragrance of plumeria. All the rest -- the spirit of aloha, the sunsets, the rainbows, the charm of Hawaii's rural communities, the tropical forests, the beaches, the waterfalls -- those I almost take for granted, and the yearning for them is always there.
But on my first morning in Hawaii, in 1988, I was welcomed by the cheerful, "kew-kew-kew" of mynah birds, which awakened a long-forgotten and deeply sentimental childhood memory from Mexico, and I was in tears.
And you can never go anywhere in the islands without the intoxicating fragrance of plumeria permeating everything you experience. It's magical--if you doubt me, try this simple test:
Next time you're in a mainland airport, go to the arrivals section after an inbound flight from Hawaii. The passengers who come down the corridor to the waiting area are positively REEKING of plumeria, and not just those wearing leis. Many of them are still entranced as from a spiritual experience. Everything, even the luggage on the baggage carousels, is saturated with this essence, this bewitching, heavenly scent which can only mean they've been to paradise. There is no other world departure point I can think of which provides this uncanny identifier and this lingering farewell to its visitors!
--Bob

(04-10-2010 11:35 AM)Arielle Wrote:  I vacationed on Maui and Lanai in 2009. I miss the green landscapes of Maui and the tranquility of the island of Lanai. It is true there is not much going on Lanai, but it is truly a unique island. I loved the Koele Resort the most and the large grassy areas and pine trees surrounding it. The air is cool and crisp all day long because it is situated at a higher elevation. On the other hand, 20 minutes down the road is the tropical Manele Resort where you can have the typical Hawaiian tropical atmosphere with palm trees and azure ocean views.