Current time: 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maui Whale Day
02-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Maui Whale Day
This Saturday, 19th February, marks the 31st anniversary of one of the most celebrated days in the Hawaiian calendar, particularly on the island of Maui. Saturday sees the signature event of the annual celebration of one of Maui’s most loved winter residents, the humpback whale! Spread across the whole day the festival will see a veritable feast of entertainment from live shows, delicious food served at stalls run by many top Hawaiian restaurants, artisans fair, children’s activities, silent auction and expanded environmental displays.

One of the most popular events is Hawaii’s own take on the traditional rubber ducky race. The twist being that rather than a duck, contestants sponsor a miniature whale around the race course. Running form 10 am until 5 pm the race offers winners the prize of return air fares between the U.S. mainland and Maui (beginning from wherever suits the winner)! Those wishing to get involved in the Wild and Wonderful Whale Regatta can sponsor a whale on the day, or sign up via the Maui Whale Festival or Pacific Whale Foundation websites. Either way the event is sure to make a splash and be hotly contested by many miniature whales.

Newly expanded during this year’s festival is the Eco-Alley section. This area will include displays and products from local nonprofits, businesses, and government agencies working to preserve Maui's unique environment. Visitors will be able to learn about ways to minimize their environmental impact in Hawaii through education and ‘green living.’

The vendor’s fair is also expected to be bigger and better this year. Around 100 local artisans will showcase goods and wears produced in Hawaii. For those more interested in picking up souvenirs or gifts for themselves or loved ones, the fair is sure to provide a great variety of high quality and intriguing local delights.

With local delights in mind, the Maui Whale Festival is also a great place to sample the culinary delights of many of Maui’s top restaurants. Stalls will offer an array of dishes to get the taste buds tingling, from crab sliders to pulled pork sandwiches. Arrive hungry and eat until you’re fill to bursting is the local advice!

Of course no festival is complete without entertainment for the kids. This year this comes in the form of The Keiki Carnival. This will include hands-on science and conservation activities, as well as bouncy castles and carnival games! The festival aims to allow children to have a whale of a time whilst learning about the environment around them.

In addition to all these delights, whale day will contain a silent auction and a series of exhibits paying homage to the humpback whale and educating visitors about their lives, and about the Pacific Whale Societies work researching these magnificent beasts! Of course the true aim of the day though is celebration. As such there will be an array of top class musical entertainment from such Hawaiian legends as Cecilio & Kapono, John Cruz and Marty Dread amongst others. These performances will take place throughout the day, giving the festivities a wonderful Hawaiian soundtrack.
The 2011 Maui Whale Day is set to be the biggest and best yet. Crowds are expected all in the name of the education, preservation and celebration of these most majestic of creatures. So head on down with family and friends to join in the party!

Important Information
The 2011 Whale Day Celebration will take place Saturday, February 19, 2011 from 10 am to 6 pm at Kalama Park in Kihei.
Admission is free!

Parking
Free Whale Day parking with free shuttle bus service is available from 7:00 am until 6:30 pm at two locations:
1. Hope Chapel, on the corner of the Piilani Highway and Welakahao Street.
2. Azeka Place Mauka Shopping Center (on South Kihei Road, just north of Lipoa Street) by the First Hawaiian Bank.
Handicapped parking only (no public parking) is located in the lot fronting Kalama Park.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2011, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2011 06:26 PM by kaniamea.)
RE: Maui Whale Day
Wow, what an event. In all of my trips to Maui in the winter, I have never attended it. Two years ago today we went to a Luau for V day. Will have to experience this even sometime. I like the QuackOff event Smile
02-18-2011, 02:36 AM
I wish I was in Hawaii right now at a luau!!!!Big Grin
09-30-2012, 12:32 PM
When is Maui Whale day in 2013? If I visit Maui in March, will I see some whales? Any recommended boat or sail boat tours from Maui would be appreciated.

Also: Where is the best place to snorkel?
10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi Debbie, the PM isn't working for me tonight so will post a reply to your question here. Must have a gremlin running around in my computer tonight so will type a few suggestions off line and post the here soon. There are still quite a few whales left in March. They don't start their trek back until a month or so later. The Would whale day is Febraury 13, during the whale festival.