Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manifesting a move to Waianae
06-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Manifesting a move to Waianae
This will likely be more than you need/want to know, but I appreciate the opportunity to share. I've been visiting the islands since 1998; mostly staying on Oahu at a friends condo in Makaha Valley Plantation (Waianae).

I met my father when I was 35. He lives in Washington State but he was born/raised on Maui and Oahu. It is apparent that I have both Portugese and Hawaiian in me. Now that I've been coming to the islands every other year, I cannot take returning to the Mainland. It hurts too much each time I have to leave. So.....I'm manifesting a move within the next 23 months. If all goes well, it will be a year.

My heart is rooted in Waianae. To most folks on the Mainland...they don't understand it. They're drawn to the Windward side of Oahu or Maui or the Big Island. For me.....it's too late, my heart is taken by the local charm, friendliness of those I meet (everyone is a friend because I believe it to be so), slower pace, and the feeling of being "at home".....well, I just know that's where I'll make my home. Don't know if it's forever, but I do plan on at least the next 5 years. After that, we'll see.

It looks like I'll be renting my friend's condo at MVP so that's set. I'll ship my car since it's paid off. I don't need to bring but a few simple comforts and clothes.

I will have a small retirement income from Washington State government and will likely need a part time job to make things a bit more comfortable, but I don't want to work in Honolulu (too busy for me) unless that's where my options are. I'll try to find part time work....something between Kapolei and Waianae. My background is with Washington Basic Health Plan (Hawaii came to Washington in early 1990's and adopted our program...it became Hawaii's Quest program). My other background is with the Washington State Insurance Commissioner. I believe I could easily find work in these two institutions if employment opportunities don't exist elsewhere.

Any links you can suggest for the following would be so helpful:

1. Registering my vehicle
2. Getting my driver's license (do I have to take written and driving test)
3. Registering as a resident?
4. Quest insurance program and Hawaii Insurance Commissioner's office.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Shari
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
RE: Manifesting a move to Waianae
Aloha Shari and welcome to our forum. Yes, Oahu's leeward coast is very beautiful. I love to go snorkeling there; the water is so clear. It's also good that you have a pension and only need to find a part-time job to supplement your income. Since the Kapolei/Ewa area is rapidly growing, you have a good chance of finding employment there. I'm not sure if you have to register as a resident in Hawaii.
Here is a link where you can find info on how to register a car: http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/mvehicle.htm
And here you can find info about Hawaii driver's license:
http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/dlicense.htm
Find all posts by this user
06-26-2012, 05:38 PM
RE: Manifesting a move to Waianae
Bless you. I'm getting excited and have a lot to do between now and my move. Mahalo