Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Malaekahana Bay campground permit
11-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Malaekahana Bay campground permit
i would like to know if camping permits are needed to stay at Malaekahana Bay and if so the price of getting a permit along with other requirements there are. I am looking forward to hearing back from you.
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2009, 01:50 PM
RE: Malaekahana Bay campground permit
Yes, you need a permit to go to Malaekahana Campground. Please note, this is a very busy campground and you should call to get a permit in advance. Their phone number is (808)293-1736.
Find all posts by this user
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I didn't realize they had a campground. The island looks so tiny.
04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
(04-20-2011 09:50 AM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  I didn't realize they had a campground. The island looks so tiny.

Looks are very deceiving here on this island. I've been on this island for two years now and countless vacations and I still haven't seen the whole island yet. I wanted to take my time learning this island, plus I love discovering new things and then spending quality time at each place.
I wonder if this is the campground that offers a tent,then a big top tent and a cottage. No tv's, phones or electric? If so,I've heard of this place and it's suppose to be the killer spot too. Let me know if this is the place.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Yes, that sounds like the campground where I have camped many times in the past. You can either bring your own tent, or rent a yurt, grass shack or cottage. The yurts and cottages have electricity. Here are photos: http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/camping/ma...ground.php
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 02:34 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Yes,this is the place. The fishing is suppose to awesome and the view is just killer. Many locals here talk about fond memories of this place when they were kids. That this is the primo spot to bring the kids to get away from it all.
Learn that life is more that just TV and video games. living under the stars and learning basic survival skills.
Thanks for posting the link to the main website page. I don't know when but someday soon, I will try to book here for maybe a weekend or teach a survival class here. I think I will call and check prices later today. Thanks for info!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-22-2011, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2011 07:47 PM by kaniamea.)
Ask for kamaaina rates when you call. You can save a lot of money. Also, the grass shacks and large cottages don't have real beds. They basically only provide a space where you can put a mattress. Only the round yurts have beds. Also, they will charge a cleaning fee and deposit when you book. Often times they won't tell you that you have to call 2 weeks after your check-out to get your deposit back. This is also not mentioned in your confirmation or anywhere else. They don't keep credit cards on file. So if people don't call to ask for a refund of their deposit, they'll never get it. This is one thing I don't like about this campground because I'm sure many people just forget, including myself the first time. I just forgot to call back because I was busy. I remembered a few months later, but then it was too late. But yes, otherwise the views are nice there.

They recently built many more grass shacks and yurts and it's a bit crowded now. The first time I camped there, that was 8 years ago, the campground had a much different energy. It wasn't that commercialized yet and you didn't even need a reservation. You could just arrive and get a place (it was a walk-in campground). But nowadays, you have to book weeks in advance, especially if you plan to go there in the weekend or on holidays. That's the disadvantage of having only one such a type of campground on this island. No competition. Their rates are quite pricey, even for kamaaina. A grass shack is around $35, a yurt between $50-$100, and a cottage around $110. A tent space is around $7.