Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Living single
06-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Living single
I'm considering moving to Honolulu to work in nursing, but I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on what it's like to be a single 30-something in Hawaii? After 10 glorious years in NYC, where singles absolutely thrive, I tried out the midwest and found it to be a terrible experience for a single woman. Is Honolulu a good place for a happy single, who wants to remain that way but loves her friends, to settle? Or is it more like the rest of the US and designed for marrieds with kids?
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2013, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 09:06 PM by kaniamea.)
RE: Living single
I would say that Honolulu is fine for singles. It's a very international city with people from all walks of life so to say. It's a much smaller place than NYC though. Waikiki caters mainly to visitors who come and go, but there are also enough places on the island where you could make permanent friends and be happy as a single.
Find all posts by this user
07-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Can you suggest neighborhoods of Honolulu that are more appropriate for adults rather than students or tourists - quieter, for those of us who are not really moving there for the nightlife? Are there areas that are less expensive, or contain more full-time employed people? I know in cities it can be hard to find quieter areas that aren't too expensive.

Thanks again for your help!
07-09-2013, 03:44 AM
It's not easy to name neighborhoods in Honolulu that are both decent but also not expensive. Quieter neighborhoods where families or working professionals live include Manoa, Kaimuki, Makiki, Nuuanu, Tantalus, Kahala, St Louis Heights and further east, the Aina Haina/Hawaii Kai area. Tourists mainly stick to Waikiki. Many UH students live around the UH Manoa campus, but there is no neighborhood that's exclusively student-only. Many students also like the neighborhoods of McCully or Moiliili and parts of Ala Moana either because they are centrally located and within shopping/entertainment or more affordable.
Find all posts by this user