Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Living on one island, working on another...possible?
01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Living on one island, working on another...possible?
Ok, so I am in the beginning stages of planning a move. The move will be at the earliest in 4 years, which is when I am sincerely planning for our family to join the islands. I have been reading about Queens Medical Center on Oahu. I am happy to start out on Oahu, but my dream is Maui. Is there a way to work on Oahu and live on Maui, and if there is, is it worth the daily commute? I am assuming a ferry...maybe...???...
I hope that no one thinks I am planning to early, but this is very serious to me. I have focused my married life around living at the beach, and Hawaii is what I have had my heart set on! It is the center of my career choice, lifestyle choice, and my decision on children and when I want to have them. I have focused my decisions around this move and I would love to hear input on what anyone would think about this option. Also, I know Maui has a hospital. Does anyone know about the career opportunity there?
Lots of love and Blessings! xoxo-Stephanie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: Living on one island, working on another...possible?
There is no ferry between Oahu and Maui. There used to be for a short time, but that's a thing of the past. So your only option would be to fly back and forth. You'd have to live somewhere near the airport on Maui and fly every day to Honolulu. Then from Honolulu airport, you'd have to commute (either via taxi or bus) to the hospital, which would take you at least a half hour. Considering that the plane flight takes about 45 minutes and the check-in/waiting process takes at least another hour (and also your commute to the Maui airport), you'd be looking at a total commute time of at least 2 hours one way (or at least 4 hours per day). This on top of a regular full-time job and you'd barely spend any time enjoying life on Maui. I would say it's not worth it.

When I was a student in Honolulu I had two teachers, one who lived on Kauai and the other on the Big Island and they came to Oahu to teach. However, they had part-time teaching jobs and only came twice a week. You'd also have to consider the cost of this. Flying between the islands is not cheap. If you're planning to find a job on Oahu, I'd say find a place to live somewhere near that hospital. Otherwise why come to Hawaii at all if you don't have any time left to enjoy the beach.
01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Living on one island, working on another...possible?
Thank you yet again eleakai! My dream is Maui, but from my research and talking with some residents I have found online, most are adamant about a new resident moving to Oahu for the job opportunities. I am looking to live a bit slower, like where I live now (Tennessee). I enjoy things that don't cost anything, such as the beach, taking a hike, and getting out with our dogs. I will continue on researching, but please know how much I appreciate your quick responses!! Blessings!