Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Life in Hilo
10-31-2012, 04:01 AM
Life in Hilo
My partner and I are going to be moving to Hilo in Dec 2013-Jan 2014. We both have lived in the Virgin Islands and puerto Rico so we KNOW about living on islands. We are interested to find out what rents are like, how easy it is to find a car and how easy it is to get around. We are both retired and just want to spend retirement in a warm climate. We chose Hilo because it is the closest to Old Hawaii left. So any info and advice any of you can throw our way would be greatly appreciated. We both have appreciated the pictures in this thread and all the general advice we have found thus far!
Mahalo
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 05:49 AM
RE: Life in Hilo
It is relatively easy to find a car. You can check craigslist.org or go to a local dealer. No need to ship your car from the mainland. It is also easy to get around. Driving on the Big Island is much more relaxing than on busy Oahu. You can also check craigslist for rentals and what rents are like. Generally speaking, rents are cheaper on the Big Island. But be aware of spam going around on craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true be cautious. Hilo is a nice town and very green. It actually gets more rain than Seattle, but since it's warm it's much more pleasant.
Find all posts by this user
11-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Mahalo for the quick reply! You have really answered quite a bit for us. Actually we are paying about the same as some of the rentals in Hilo now....the rain is a nonissue since my partner really wants to garden (its his passion) My next question is how are gays treated in Hawaii. We have been together almost 30 years and are not bar people. We tend to stay to ourselves and get involved in community activities. Both of us are interested in Hawaiian culture (I lived in Japan as a kid and have a love for all things Japanese). Thanks for the craigslist warning....we have been looking there some. As far as the car....an island cruiser is perfect for us but haven't seen many of those advertised!
11-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Regarding how gays are being treated in Hawaii I would say it depends on the area. Some areas are more open than others. On the Big Island quite a few gays live in the Puna district (but also around Hilo). Hawaii is much more open compared to many other states in the U.S. that are very religious or have banned same-sex marriage. But (like in most places) there are people in Hawaii as well who don't like gays. But then again, the area where you would like to live is nice and for sure you won't be alone there. There is a beautiful Japanese garden in Hilo, see here: http://www.to-hawaii.com/big-island/gard...ardens.php
It's best to look for a place once you are already on the Big Island. It makes it easier to avoid scams.
11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Aloha kaniamea! I really appreciate that you answered this question. I figured, like everywhere else, there would be a few that don't like gays. I've seen alot change in my lifetime I never thought I would! As I said I'm looking for a place to enjoy my retirement....that second half of my life where if I want to head down to a beach and swim I can or get up early and watch a spectatcular sunrise in Hilo! I took a look at the link you provided in your last post andman did it put a smile on my face. It also told me that just the Big Island alone will be an adventure to explore and Hilo has the ONE THING I miss from my days in the Caribbean.....a real farmers market and a place to get REALLY fresh fish! In your opinion what would be the next island I'd want to visit when I wanted to take a break from the Big Island? I'm not so sure about Oahu after seeing the new and improved Hawaii five O.....way too many automatic weapons...HAHAHAHAHAHA/ just kidding. What is airfare like doing some island hopping? Living in the USVI you flew alot because the nearest "land of the shopping mall" was San Juan, PR. Living in St Thomas if you wanted to hit Wendy's...the only one was in St John so you hopped the ferry. My work kept me island hopping alot and i know in retirement I'm gonna have to see the rest of the islands! Again thanks for allowing me to pick your brain. This message board rerally does allow someone like me to see the reality of life there both good and bad. Like the Virgin Islands...you get the dreamy eyed folks who dream of island life and once there dealing with locals, the local utilities etc and they skip out....so the utility companies charge deposits on everything to make sure their tails are covered.I'm sure even the locals are wary of newcomers until they see they can hack the life on the island. Even in Key West, FL you didn't even get to know their last names until they lived there 5 years and lasted through a hurricane!
11-23-2012, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:25 PM by eleakai.)
Well, that's a tough question to answer what island you could visit next after getting "tired" of the Big Island Smile I love them all and for me they are all amazing and very unique. If for some reason the Big Island feels too quiet for you, then definitely visit Oahu next. Here you'll find it all, from large malls, restaurants and entertainment to quiet neighborhoods and some of the best beaches in Hawaii. Even though Oahu is the most developed island, I think it is still very beautiful. Many of my favorite beaches are on Oahu. You may also want to visit either Kauai or Maui. Both islands have great white-sand beaches, something the Hilo side of the Big Island is lacking. But then the Big Island has so many nice natural ponds, some of which are naturally heated (like for example Ahalanui: https://www.to-hawaii.com/big-island/bea...uipark.php ).
Regarding your question what airfare is like, a one-way ticket is currently about $60-70.
01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
John, did you make it to the Big Island. I hope you and your partner got settled in. If you did make tit here, message me, my husband and I love to meet new people. We have lived on the Big Island on and off for 3 1/2 year and permanently for 6 months. We love, love, love this island..