Current time: 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
RE: Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
Every sunset is different here and bad weather can make for some very wonderful sunsets. In these pictures below,it looks like lava flowing in the sky and the first time I had witnessed anything like this. I have seen many beautiful sunsets but bad weather seems to bring out the best here in the islands.
While I was photographing these pictures,Maui and Molokai was just getting pounded with severe thunderstorms and lightning. The main road into Lahaina experienced a major landslide and all the major roads in Kihei were flooded. It's severe storms like these is where you hear about tourists not listening to the warnings and rental cars being washed off the road on the way and back from Hana. Weather can change very quickly here in the winter time,thinking ahead and being prepared is the key to survival here. There are signs along the roads here that tells you what is possible like, "Rock Slide Area" or "Road Prone to Flooding" and that is because it has happen before and most likely the sign is there because someone has lost their lives there. Sometimes,it's not all fun in paradise,observe the warning signs and think accordingly. Always carry extra food and drinks,rain ponchos,a flashlight w/ extra batteries and warm clothes if needed. I rather park far off the road to wait it out than to put myself and family in danger. On a personal note,I don't like to drive at night here and especially in bad weather. The streets around this island isn't lit up at night like it is on the mainland and the roads here contains lots of sharp curves and it's a long way down in some areas. If this message saves even one life,then I will know that I've kept the reader informed. Angel

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Yikes!!!! That weather does not sound like fun! I never go to Hawaii this time of year. Sounds like that is a good thing. I will be there in May though!!!!Smile Today we are supposed to get about 5 inches of snow here in Maryland. Not a fun day here either. Oh well......soon I will be in Hawaii having fun in the sun!!!!!
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Love those sunset pictures!
01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Dude and Enid, I work hard for those everyday and I think it shows. I hope you guys like these from tonight. Big Grin

01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
After a wonderful night of thunderstorms and a fantastic show of lightning, I knew that my chances of a great sunset were about 50/50 and the clouds did kind of killed tonight's sunset but I snapped away anyway. You let me know how you like them. Tonight would have been perfectly done in black and white and then put on Agfa paper like I did in the old days. See if you would agree....

01-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Yes, looks like there were many clouds. But the pictures still look nice, calm and kind of mystic.
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2011, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 01:05 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I know that I haven't posted pictures on here for many days even though I shot sunsets from yesterday and Monday or Tuesday but I've been pretty busy lately and I can onl;y promise to do the best that I can under the circumstances. I will add those in the thread,"Sunets of Oahu" of mine and you can view them there. I can see that I've got a following on this thread,so I truely know that there are many people like me out there that just loves Hawaii,whether for a vacation or to move here,people are coming back to this thread daily now. No pressure, I can handle it.

So I went out today thinking that I've shot this same kind of sunset many times before. Hardly no clouds and I was thinking on how could I shoot this differently than I have in the past. I have shot some of my sunsets with background subjects in mind and today,I wanted to experiment with adding something in the foreground and I found this lifeguard tower nearby and said,yeah,I think this is going to work. Well,anyway,you tell me how I did?

I didn't like this light standard being so close to the camera on this shot.

01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
What a beautiful day it was yesterday! The air was crisp and the sky very clear!
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
(01-21-2011 04:31 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  What a beautiful day it was yesterday! The air was crisp and the sky very clear!

Yes,it sure was but the clouds blocked us from having a good sunset tonight although it was a very hot day and just beautiful this morning. There's always tomorrow,lol.

01-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Any day in Hawaii is a great day!!!!!!!Smile