Current time: 12-11-2017, 08:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
01-31-2011, 04:20 AM
RE: Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
So Dude, did you watch the Pro Bowl game? I had a Pro Bowl party here at home with a few invited guests and had lots of good food. One friend bbq'd some ribs and then it started raining and it poured for about 30 minutes just before the game started. That is why the game started an hour late here. That is also why I didn't go take pictures of the sunset too. I was so sleepy from all the good food and I did something I haven't done in a long time too and that was drink two beers. The beer makes me so tired and sleepy and that's why I never drink it,lol. It was a good game and a good party. It was fun to watch this game and a couple local fans ran onto the field during the game and was arrested by HPD and one local was tackled by AFC's wide receiver Dwayne Bowe of the Kansas City Chiefs with a crushing tackle trespasser will never forget,lol. I am really glad that I have the Pro Bowl to look forward to every year here. You should of been here Dude,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2011, 03:26 AM
I wish I was there buddy! I did watch it but it did not start until after 7pm here in Maryland so I fiqured I should not drink since I had to work the next morning. Sad I did enjoy seeing Hawaii though! Wished I was there! It was funny to see the 2 guys run onto the field. I am sure they got put in the pokie!!!!Smile
02-02-2011, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 10:32 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Yeap Dude, you missed a lot! We had cheerleaders and football players all over the place. I will be starting a new thread for that later today.
In the meantime, I was feeling better and went out to take this pictures around the Diamond Head area and the Natatorium. Enjoy the pics!

It's been 5 or 6 years since the last time I saw Diamond Head this green from all the rain we've been getting.It's a lot more beautiful when it's all green instead of brown.

Here's a shot looking back into town.

02-02-2011, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 10:33 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
(02-02-2011 03:40 PM)WonderinginWaikiki Wrote:  Yeap Dude, you missed a lot! We had cheerleaders and football players all over the place. I will be starting a new thread for that later today.
In the meantime, I was feeling better and went out to take this pictures around the Diamond Head area and the Natatorium. Enjoy the pics!

It's been 5 or 6 years since the last time I saw Diamond Head this green from all the rain we've been getting.It's a lot more beautiful when it's all green instead of brown.

Here's a shot looking back into town.

Where is the arch? It is very pretty!
02-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Great pics! Hopefully Diamond Head is that green when I get there. I have been there alot but it has never been that green.
02-03-2011, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 10:39 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Aloha Rich,
The Waikiki's WWI Veteran's Natatorium is located right behind the Waikiki Aquarium on the Diamond Head side. Apparently, the city of Honolulu spent $5.6 Mil to restore it but never finished the job. It was more costly than orginally thought and therefore only finished the facade that I have pictured.
When Mufi Hannemann was mayor here (will go down in history as one of the worst) of Honolulu, he was pushing to spend the same amount of money to tear it down. For him, it was all about giving businesses the riderick and the unions all the gravy. His thinking was to provide jobs for the unions to tear it down but many veteran's groups and locals got upset with that idea. So the Natatorium has been sitting there closed all these years. This is where Duke trained for the Olympics and it use to have a high dive platform.
Many of the local adults here can tell you stories about swimming and diving there as kids. What many will tell you is that the Natatorium should be listed as historical landmark for Federal Grants but hasn't happen yet. My understanding is that it would cost between $6-10 million to finish it and reopen it. I hope the city of Honolulu can somehow come up with the money to finish what they had promised to do since the residents of Honolulu have paid for it already.
So Rich,that is the long and short about our WWI Veteran's Natatorium. Maybe we can start a fundraising event perhaps?

Hey Dude,
If all goes as planned,we should some more storms this weekend to give us some more rain. That will make Diamond Head even more green and beautiful.
In the meantime,I took pictures of last night's sunset and it was fantastic. It didn't look it was going to amount to much since the clouds had been building all afternoon but I figured that I had a 50/50 chance for greatness. I didn't capture it but we had the most wonderful display of the elusive "green flash" last night. Now I have a better understanding of the perfect conditions for this event in the future. Unfortunately, It happens so fast that it is really hard to capture it on film but I still tried,lol.

02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Another nice Hawaii fix for me! Thanks bro!
02-04-2011, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 10:41 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Yeah, I ended up watching it from my lanai last night because I needed to stay home and help the kids with their homework. Even Charlie,whose only in gindergarden, had tons of homework. I'm just really happy that they never get homework on the weekends. Lily had to read about the sun and sunlight. They she had to do the who,what,why and when about the sun. She also had to include about the seven colors of sunlight that gets bent into the form of a rainbow like a prism when it rains here. I helped her to understand how the earth takes 24 hours to rotate and that the earth takes a whole year to rotate around the sun and the moon takes roughly one month to rotate around the earth and this effects tides and weather here on earth and our small little island,lol.
Jimmiecrickets,no one told me that I would have to start school all over again when I moved to Hawaii,lol. I thought that I was through with this stuff,lol.Huh Confused Angry Big Grin
02-10-2011, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 09:50 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
This afternoon, I walked across the street to the beach to hang out and to cast my Penn in the water. I'm really thankful that I brought my trusty camera along. It looked like it could be a nice sunset but maybe cut short by clouds. I have to say that what actually happen this evening was just spectacular. In the two years that I've lived here,I can only remember one sunset that came close to this one. It will be a lot of pictures for one sunset but I think that you will like how this one sunset came about and it even looked like it was finished at one point and I started packing everything up and started to pull my fishing pole out of the water and then BAM! Keep in mind that this is one single sunset.
Wow,then just breathtaking!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Really pretty sunset pics ! Clouds are a good addition to a setting sun. Catch any fish?