Current time: 12-12-2017, 09:49 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just another accident in Honolulu
02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Just another accident in Honolulu
Sometimes I wonder why some people drive so recklessly in Honolulu. It's a busy town with plenty of cars on the roads, so why speed? I was just walking (around 2 pm) along Kapiolani Blvd. near Papa John's Pizza when two mopeds passed me (driving toward downtown). They were driving very very fast. I would say they were literally flying. One of them was about 100 yards in front of the other and it seems like the one behind him tried to catch up with him. Anyway, a couple of seconds later I heard a loud bang. I knew immediately that at least one of them had crashed. As I got closer to the intersection (Kapiolani Blvd./Kaheka St.) I saw that this was the case. One of the mopeds was shattered on the ground and people were standing around it and calling an ambulance. The driver had crashed into the rear of a car. Pieces of debris were scattered all over the intersection.

So this is another accident that happened because of recklessness. Sometimes when people visit me here I tell them that whenever they cross streets in Honolulu as a pedestrian to never ever rely on traffic signals only. You may have a green light to cross the street, but according to me, it's not safe to blindly cross. Always look anyway as if the traffic light doesn't exist. If you see a car approaching, wait for it to stop first before you cross. If it's a road with multiple lanes and the car in the first lane stops and you cross, look if cars in the other lanes also stop. Check each lane as you cross the street.

I have seen countless of drivers here who didn't see a red light. So that's my best advice for pedestrians in Honolulu: Always keep your eyes open and don't assume it's safe to cross a street just because you have a green light!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
RE: Just another accident in Honolulu
I tend to agree with the above statement. I have seen this before but mostly by taxi drivers and TheBus drivers. They are the worst offenders on this island. TheBus has cameras but they are mostly for the passengers and not on the drivers. I have seen drivers from TheBus experience road rage just because cars changed lanes four car links in front of them if they would only drive the speed limit of 25 mph instead of twice that much. It's not a race to the light.
Like in your case, most people visiting are not aware of our very low speed limits here until you rent a car and drive here. What people need to understand is that the roads on these islands are not very forgiving. If you happen to make a mistake and can live to tell about, you are, in deed, very lucky.
In the meantime,I will checkout the news on Hawaii News Now starting right now...
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
02-23-2011, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 02:19 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
The accident you witnessed yesterday never made the news. Maybe there will be something on in the morning but I seriously doubt it. The reporters or news channels here are just plain lazy.There was a woman murdered up the street from me a month ago and it never made the news even though many of us locals here are aware of it. We checked the news for a week and nothing. I feel that more than half of the news in this town doesn't get reported. Maybe it's to protect all the tourism that this town brings or someone is too cheap to buy a 800Mhz police scanner to pick up the calls. I pick up more stuff on my Ham radio than the news reports here on TV.
Either way,taxpayers will most likely pick up the tab for this dummy's hospital bills and that is the sad part of the whole thing. Just the same as what we have to do on the mainland when the gangbangers shoot it out with another gang. Then when they can't feel anything from the waist down from a bullet in their backs,we also pay for their social security payments for life. Taxpayers are powerless to prevent this and not enough of us are informed or willing to stand up against this total waste of taxes that could go to programs to help the homeless,veterans,job training or even rape victims, for that matter.
One part of me is outraged by this and another part of me tells me that I'm not from here and not allowed to say anything about it. One thing that I've learned since moving here is that this is a small island when it comes to matters such as these. It reminds me of having a fight in the mess hall on an aircraft carrier and not seeing the other guy until six months later. It's like a small floating city and eventually,you'll run into the same guy again. I mean that as an example but it is true.
This guy that crashed yesterday,yeah,he got what he deserved,but it's not just taxing on him with injuries or the other vehicle he hit but also all of us residents too. The point that I'm trying to make is that we need to look at the big picture and even that looks grim. I almost forgot,wasn't it also taxing on you to be a witness for such stupidity? I can tell that you were a little upset in your post and that is normal to feel that way. We all feel that way but we'll forget about it in a few days, a few months or never. We can't fix everything,help everyone or even help ourselves,that's just the way it is. What we can do is set ourselves up as examples and live by them,that way to make these idiots stand out. You also have the right to pick and choose your own battles. By starting this thread,you've chosen to inform everyone that reads this about what happens when you speed and drive reckless,this is a form of battle,right? So,you are doing the right thing because I and other readers are agreeing with you or telling you that you right. Mission accomplished is what I say. The only way to top this would be to send him flowers and say, "we told you so!",lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, I agree. The accident I saw never made the news. I searched for it on Google and news sites, but nothing. So yes, I'm sure there are many more such things happening that just don't get reported. A friend of mine told me once that there are more than 100 suicides a year in Hawaii, but they also don't get reported. It's just too many I guess and if all the bad stuff really made the news, then tourists would no longer come here. Also, I guess it just doesn't all fit in a newspaper, space-wise.

Yes, every time I think about these brainless dummies causing needless accidents I get annoyed. And I've seen quite a few since I moved here. I can't forget any of them and since I'm from a small village originally where life was much slower than in a big city, my whole perception and the way I move around town has changed. Like I wrote in my previous post, I walk around in a state of alert at all times especially when I cross streets. And this has proven to be healthy because otherwise I would have been run over by a car on several occasions in the past. There are just too many mindless people on the roads.
Find all posts by this user