Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet speed at Hawaii and places to be for fastest internet
01-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Internet speed at Hawaii and places to be for fastest internet
Hi! I am looking for a paradise to stay for a month or 8 for work. For research purposes I need an internetconnection. Can you tell me something about the speed and quality of internet at Hawaii?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 08:36 AM
RE: Internet speed at Hawaii and places to be for fastest internet
As long as you have access to high-speed Internet here in Hawaii, the connection should be fine, no matter on which island you are. I never had any problems myself and I use the Internet every day. Also, if you want to be flexible regarding your location, I recommend using the CLEAR internet mobile device. It works fine.
Find all posts by this user
01-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Where do I arraigne high speed internet? I am from Europe and must be prepared very well up forehand so I don't get any problems during my stay.
01-15-2011, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2011 04:29 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Hello and welcome to our ohana forum. Surprising enough, the fastest internet connection that I've seen on this island so far is absolutely free. It's a free WiFi right on the sands of Waikiki Beach. It is put out there by the city of Honolulu and a very fast connection. I know this because I'm right over the beach and I have about 25 connections to choose from, ideal for your Blackberry and Iphones. There is also free internet at all the McDonald's and Starbutt's. You can also get it free at Safeway's and the Food Pantry on Kuhio. There is also a lot of unsecured hotspots here you can get free if your laptop has wireless internet. Many people here don't bother securing their rooters because that would involve thinking or reading or they just showing some aloha. Now if you want to pay for it,you can go to Huku's on Kuhio at Nohonani Street near Seaside Ave. It will cost about $30 a month for month to month service and cancel at anytime. If you will be staying here in Waikiki among all of these buildings,then I do not recommand Clear Wire at all. The higher the floor,the fewer bars you will get with Clear. My condo is pretty high up and Clear didn't work out at all for my neighbors. Clear has a booth at the Ala Moana Mall if you still want to go with them. It's between $45 to $65 a month depending on added features but it's also by contract too. I would honestly wait until you get here and see how good and dependable all the free connections are before going out and buying it. All you really need to worry about at this time is a good price on your airline ticket and your Visa to enter the USA and worry about all the little things after you get here,lol.
Good luck and have a safe flight. Thank you for coming to our ohana forum. Feel free to ask more questions before it's time for you to fly over and we will be happy to answer them.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow! I am getting more excited each second :-)

Sorry for delivering many questions but I have two extra questions:
- I saw a lot of accomodations for rent but find it a bit expensive. Where can I find for normal prices 2+ room appartments?
- In Holland I got a working place in a shared office building with even shared working office rooms. Is there something similar to this available at Hawaii en if so, where?
01-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Ok, let's see if I can approach your questions correctly and answer them for you. The first question is an easy one and the second one is a bit harder. I always like to handle the harder problems first in life and I'm not about to change that anytime soon,so let's try it this way.
You can find business office space and shared room also but you would need to find a good and honest broker and I don't know of any here.The problem is the lazy landowners that refuse to pay their own property taxes and will pass that onto you. It is called a VAT Tax here. I don't know how in the world it could be legal but it is here in Hawaii. Many developers of new office buildings have moved away from this idea to keep their buildings occupied but unfortunately those are few and far between and you'd be wasting valuable time looking anything that good here. My opinion is that I will never,ever pay for someone else property taxes for a rental property if I don't own the building,period!
Now for your first question and the easy one. Since you are overseas and only have the internet,let try this. I would do like everyone else here and rent a two bedroom condo or house and turn the second room into your office and no one would be the wiser. You can go through Vacation Rentals By Owners or http://www.vrbo.com on the internet. There you can shop around for the living space that you need and for the price that you feel comfortable with. You can email the owner directly at this site and look at pictures. The most important questions to ask from owners is how many square feet of living space and what kind of view does it have. Now I didn't say any of these options are going to be cheap though but if you do your homework,you can find everything that you are looking for. Most people wait until they get here and then look around like crazy.
Don't be surprised if you have to work out of a hotel room for the first month,many do until they find exactly what they are looking for. In that case,you can use http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com and ask for Hector or Grace if you call by phone and they might be able to help you also.
I hope this helps you some and give you an idea of what you are up against here. In fact,I would not say anything about opening a business in their rentals,it's none of their business to know what you do and how you are going to do it. Just smile,say it's lovely and that you'll take it and that's it.
Good luck with your quest and have a wonderful "vacation" ,lol!
01-15-2011, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:45 PM by eleakai.)
The average 2 bedroom apartment in Waikiki or Ala Moana starts at around $1500/month. But that's on the low end. You're lucky if you can find a good place for that price. Some of the more provincial areas on Oahu may have cheaper accommodation, but not much. The cheapest area on Oahu is the leeward coast and the center of the island, but if you have a business where you need to be centrally located, then I wouldn't recommend these areas. When it comes to office buildings that rent 2-room offices, there are shared options in Waikiki and Ala Moana. But then you would first have to find someone who you would like to partner with. Maybe you can search on craigslist.org for business rentals. But be aware because there is also a lot of fraud on craigslist (see another post regarding that on our forum): https://www.to-hawaii.com/forums/Thread-...for-Hawaii

By the way, may I ask if you have a work visa? Here in the USA, you need a valid work visa, such as H1B or and investor visa to be able to work or set up an own business.
01-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks a lot for all your input! Do I need a visa if I don't 'work' but write? I have a virtual office and can work wherever I want and with todays technology (Skype etc) I can login with my Dutch number wherever I want as long as I have a solid internetconnection. So the company and work will stay in Europe, only I am somewhere else :-)

Working from your own home can be nice but in a new country you of course want to meet new people. I did a search for Regus office space but can't find it in Hawaii, does anyone know of such a shared office building?
01-21-2011, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 07:41 AM by kaniamea.)
As soon as you work in the U.S. (writing is work too) and the company pays you in the U.S., you need a work permit. If you don't get paid here, but in Holland, then it should be ok (but you should check this with the USCIS to make sure). However, keep in mind that you will be on a tourist visa, which means that you can only stay for 3 months. It will be a bit more challenging to find an affordable accommodation and rent it for just 3 months. Many landlords here require 6 or 12 months leases. Plus as a foreigner you don't have a credit history in the U.S., (that's something very important here) which can make things more complicated when it comes to getting a rental (except in a hotel or vacation rental).

Since you can only stay 3 months, you'll basically have to look into renting a hotel room (they also have monthly rates), but they are usually still a bit more expensive than a regular apartment. If you have family in Hawaii who are U.S. citizens, they may be able to sponsor you for a 6-month visitor visa. But in all other cases, the visitor visa is just 3 months.
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 03:22 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I apologize that I haven't followed this thread for about six days now. The above post sounds like good sound advice but please keep in mind that we are not attorneys and couldn't provide legal advice even if we were. All we can offer is what life is like here in Hawaii and maybe how most things are done here.
It sounds like you want to do what we call,"telecommute your work", which is still working and you would need to do your homework on this subject extensively pretty much on your own. There are just some things we can not help you with for legal reasons because the Patriot Act has some very gray areas and fine lines these days. Not that you fit into that catagory,but as ordinary people,we just don't have those kind of answers to offer. All we can offer is what our ohana's experiences are to Hawaii and places to visit while you are here. There's no harm and no foul yet but I worry that some barracks lawyer could jump into this and feed you misleading information and possibly offer you some really bad and damaging services and put our ohana forum into the fray of things and that certainly isn't our goal with our ohana.
Things just like,for example,that someone on here tells you that you can legally drive over here with only your passport and visa and that would be terribly wrong and I'm sure that has happen at some point in history here in Hawaii before.
You are more than welcome to post questions and love to still have you here with our ohana,we just want to steer clear of deep legal issues. Maybe later we can have a thread to links for Q & A for our Gov't websites but for now,we clearly don't have every answer that you might be looking for. Thank you for posing your questions to us first,we are very honored. I am certain that you will get this worked out regardless because Hawaii will do this to people,I am one of them,lol.
Good luck and we'll pray for your success...