Current time: 10-16-2017, 12:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm new here :)
01-13-2014, 03:02 AM
I'm new here :)
Aloha everyone,

My name is Saskia, 29 years old, and I'm from the Netherlands, on the other side of the world Wink

I'd like to share my story about how Hawai'i is very important to me and I also have a few questions for you!

My grandparents and my father were born in Indonesia when it was still a colony of The Netherlands (The Dutch East Indies) Some of you might know that in the '50's Indonesia declared its independence and everyone who was Dutch had to leave the country. My grandparents are Indo-Dutch, so they had a choice, to stay or go. In 1958 they travelled by boat all the way from Indonesia to the Netherlands.

Hawaiian music has always been a part of the Indo-Dutch culture, especially after the repatriation.

So I grew up with Hawaiian music, because my grandfather was the (contra)bassist-player in a band called The South Sea Hawaiians.

In 2008 I decided to go to Hawai'i for the first time. I was there for 6 weeks and visited Maui, Kauai and Oahu.
It's been the most beautiful experience in my life and I think about it almost every day and I wish I could come back someday. (a ticket is só expensive, I can't afford it right now).

In honor of my granddad, I started a band. We play true hawaiian songs like Ulupalakua or Hano Hano, and hapa haole songs Smile I play the ukulele and I sing.

I'm trying to come up with a band name, but I'd love your opinions and ideas! We already had one, but I'd love a more serious name. The first was The 'Ohiki Hawaiians (for 'ohiki is a crab? and crabs are the symbol of the town we live in).

The only thing that I'm missing in the Netherlands is someone who could teach me to hula. I've been trying to learn the steps (kaholo, ami, uwehe), but does anyone know a really good teacher/kumu online?

Thanks for letting me share my story!

Aloha,
Saskia

.jpeg  forum.jpeg (Size: 35.92 KB / Downloads: 53)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2014, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:42 AM by eleakai.)
RE: I'm new here :)
Aloha Saskia and welcome to our forum. Thanks for sharing your fascinating story and background. That sounds great you started this band. I also can't think of a name for it off the top of my head right now. Maybe you can browse Hawaiian dictionaries to get ideas. We also have a small one on our website: http://www.to-hawaii.com/hawaiian-dictionary.php

On this site it lists hula schools worldwide: http://www.mele.com/resources/hula.html There are also a few listed in the Netherlands.

Hopefully you'll be able to visit Hawaii again soon!
01-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Hawaii. I hope if you go your grandpa country
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Thank you for your replies Smile

Mahalo!
06-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Aloha Saskia,
First of all let me welcome you into the Indo-Dutch Hawaiian scene. It surely is refreshing to see that finally some 'younger people' are interested in the traditional Hawaiian Music as we know it from way back when... I, too, grew up in the 50's with this beautiful music. My Dad played in the Hawaiian Little Boys and after that in the Hawaiian Big Boys in Indonesia. Being forced to come over to Holland, lots of Indos (as we were called) played an instrument or sang in a Hawaiian Band. My Mom sang the old standards with the Hawaiian Band my Dad had... Later I did the same (also with my Dad) with our family-band.. For the past 13 to 15 years I also have a Hawaiian group called the Kameha Strings. Good for you to have been able to start a new group. It surely is quite needed here in Holland. I think that up till recently there were only about 4 or 5 Hawaiian bands as no one was interested in playing that beautiful instrument - the Hawaiian guitar - which I think is an absolute 'must' in such a band. Anyway, I know your Ohiki Hawaiians will play at the Hawaiian Sunday in August and I will certainly do my utmost to come to Vlaardingen. I'm really looking forward to seeing and listening to the Ohiki Hawaiians. As for a hula teacher I will ask a couple of Huladancers who may be of help to you... kind regards, Inakika48 (Inge).
08-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Hello friends, I am new here.
Want to interact with good people.
Hope i am in right place.
11-18-2015, 01:55 AM
Hello, yes you are. i am new too, but i think you can have some good interactions here.