Current time: 11-20-2017, 01:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hiking Diamond Head Crater
03-05-2011, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 04:05 PM by eleakai.)
Hiking Diamond Head Crater
Even though it was a cloudy day today, it made for a nice hike to Diamond Head. There were mystic rain clouds above the ocean and the view to Waikiki and Honolulu was clear. Many people enjoyed the hike, but not all! When I was almost at the top a man got sick in the tunnel with the narrow stairs. People had to call an ambulance and when the firefighters came they carried him all the way to the top viewing platform and then a helicopter picked him up from there. The helicopter had a long rope and the man was lying on a board and they hooked him onto the rope of the helicopter. Then they flew him down into the crater. This is the second time now that I see someone get sick on the Diamond Head hike and had to be rescued by a helicopter. The hike is nice but one should be sure one is fit for it.

Also there were many strange bugs at the top viewing platform. I have never seen so many bugs up there. They were not biting bugs but they tried to land on you all the time. I had to keep my mouth shut otherwise I would have literally breathed them in. You can see some bugs flying on the video that I took.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 10:03 PM
RE: Hiking Diamond Head Crater
I really like this video. I know that they have the trail open for only four days a week for repairs. Last week,they were closing the trail early at 1pm so that they could fly pallets of concrete in by helicopter to repair the trail. I watch them do that over the last two weeks. I think the sign at the entrance says something about completing the project by June 1st.
What was the condition of the trail itself today?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-06-2011, 08:50 AM
The condition of the trail was good and I wasn't able to tell in what area work is still needed. The trail looked like always (before the construction began), so I can't even tell what part of it is new. Also, I read on the news that the trail is back to normal visiting hours again, from 6 am to 6 pm, but that upgrades will continue.
03-07-2011, 02:47 AM
I have hiked up there a few times. My last trip it was closed down. I will try to hike up there again in May! One of my favorite things on Oahu.
03-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I watched the video a few times and it looks like big horse flys that were buzzing around you guys. I'm sure that all the rain that we've been having has a lot to do with that. It's nice and sunny right now but it's poured really hard twice today already. Yesterday afternoon, the sunny was shinning brightly and it was raining these big raindrops and it was so beautiful. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I was like giant glitter or sparkles. Not a heavy rain,just large drops falling through the sunlight. It was pretty nice.
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, the flies were very annoying and the strange thing was that they were only at the top viewing platform, but nowhere else on the trail. Not even on the stairs that are leading to the viewing platform. Only right at the top. Very strange. It wasn't really possible to talk, otherwise they would have flown into one's mouth, it was that bad. I opened my backpack really quick to take out my camera and right away a few of them flew into my backpack. Luckily they weren't mosquitoes, otherwise it would have been an itchy excursion. Yes, maybe it had to do something with the weather or humidity. But why they preferred that viewing platform as their gathering spot I'm not sure about.

The weather has been a bit strange these past few days. Lots of sunshine but also strong rain and many rainbows. I agree it was pretty on a few occasions, especially the light around sunset. By the way, did you see the sunset on Saturday evening? It was one of the best I've seen here. So gorgeous, with the entire sky in a golden orange. I guess it looked so beautiful because half of the sky was still covered in dark rain clouds and the other half where the sun set was blue. The sunlight reflected beautifully on all those clouds. Too bad I didn't have my camera handy at that moment. So this sunset only exists in my memory.
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Not so,you're in luck. I will upload Saturday's sunset in "Sunsets of Oahu" shortly. Sorry that I've been busy lately,studying and obtaining my first Hawaii Driver's License and separating Scott Caan's pictures he took with my camera for his Vol.II book. That is one fun dude to hangout with,lol. A lot of people don't know that he loves taking photos as much as I do. If I get permission,I will post some of those on this forum soon. In the meantime,I have some crazy projects coming up and some local events also.Cool