Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi!! Question about finding a job in Hawaii for foreign citizens
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 09:49 PM by kaniamea.)
Hi!! Question about finding a job in Hawaii for foreign citizens
hi!! im look for any opportunity jobs in hawaii... im 23 years old and ive been working in clothes shops and cafes.. i didnt finish collage or anything.. what do i have to do to find a job in hawaii and live there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: hi!!
It's best to come to Hawaii and look for a job in person. In other words, it will be hard to find a job if you're not already in Hawaii. You could check craigslist.org or the local newspaper and then just go and talk to the manager, fill out an application, etc. It's always easier to get a job if you have connections, but if you don't, then the standard route is the way to go. Good luck!
04-23-2013, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 10:24 AM by mariachris.)
Sad RE: hi!!
im not in hawaii yet how can i apply for a visa there?? is there any site that i can visit online and apply?? or should i go to the immigration of hawaii to apply a visa?? in in cyprus btw.. i thing its gonna be hard Confused

thank you for the replySmile
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: hi!!
Yes, if you're not a U.S. citizen or green card holder then you need to get a visa first. Hawaii is part of the United States, so you're looking at getting a U.S. work permit. This won't be easy. You will have to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for what's called an H1B visa. To be eligible you have to have at least a Bachelor's degree and work in a specialty field. You can see the official U.S. website for more info: http://www.uscis.gov

One of the main problems is that this H1B visa is only available once a year. Applications are accepted every year on April 1. A total of 65,000 visas are available but usually they are all taken within a week or so. So you would have to find a company willing to sponsor you, then this company has to do the paperwork, either alone or with the help of a lawyer. Then they would have to send the paperwork to the government so that it arrives on exactly April 1, 2014. If your visa is approved (and that's a big if), then the earliest date when you would be allowed to start working would be on October 1, 2014. That's the rule of this visa and there's no way around it. So you would have to find a company who really wants you and is willing to sponsor you in April and then wait until you can legally start working in October. Also, before the paperwork has to be filed on April 1, there is one more step that needs to be done before that. It's called a Labor Certification. All together it takes about 2 months to do the H1B paperwork, so the company would have to start the process around the beginning of February. There are costs involved too. The employer has to pay the visa fee. It's around $2,000 without a lawyer and if the company hires a lawyer, then it's another $2,000 to $3,000. So as you can see, the employer really has to want to hire a foreigner with special skills, otherwise why would the company spend money for a visa.

It's easier to get an H1B if you first graduate from a U.S. university (either with a Bachelor's or Master's degree). After you graduate, you get an automatic 1-year work permit called OPT (Optional Practical Training). Then you can find an employer who can right away hire you without any costs involved. Then in this year the employer can get to know you and vice versa and then sponsor you for an H1B. But I think it's very difficult to get an H1B from abroad without connections and without knowing an employer.

There are other visas too, for example investor visas, such as E2. But for that you have to have enough money for buying or investing in a business. There may be upcoming changes to U.S. immigration because they are right now debating immigration reform.
05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
RE: Hi!! Question about finding a job in Hawaii for foreign citizens
Hello every body,
please help me to know about foreigner' jobs problem and having a residency problem also.Can anyone help me? My friend is also their I also want to go there but my friend has a problem of residence.
05-16-2013, 02:59 AM
I don't understand your question. What problem of residence? Do you mean your friend is a foreign citizen and his/her visa is about to expire?
12-25-2013, 02:57 AM
hi,

I am facing the exact same challenge. Kaniamea said it perfectly. That is the only way.

I think last year twice as many ppl applied for a visa than provided. So if you are lucky enough to fiind an employer who will jump thru all these hoops for you there is a fifty percent chance it will all fail.

greetings,
ll
05-27-2014, 01:20 AM
I have the same problem as everyone else. After completing a diploma in information technology and an advanced diploma in accounting I still was not able to find solid work or even part time work for that matter. A large number of IT jobs wanted 2 years worth of experience. How in the heck was I supposed to get that amount?