Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:46 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello!
03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Rainbow Hello!
My name is Amy. I'm from Pennsylvania and had a few questions...My husband and I are thinking about moving to Hawaii...We have a place picked out and he is trying to find a job out there...The place that we are interested in is in a town called Princeville..Can anyone tell me if it would be easier for us to take a flight to Lihue Airport from Pittsburgh or to Honolulu from Pittsburgh then find a flight from Honolulu to Lihue AIrport...also are there many jobs for machinist out there my hubby has been doing that for 15 years now. Thank you for the infor

Amy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
RE: Hello!
Actually, I am not aware of any direct (non-stop) flights to Lihue. They exchange through Honolulu. Machinist Jobs on Kauai? Smile
03-14-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't think there are ant direct flights to Kauai. I will be going there in June! Yippeeeeee
03-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Aloha Amy and welcome to our ohana forum. I really can't tell you much about Princeville,Kauai,Hawaii because I've never been there myself. I can say with much certainty that those kinds of jobs are located on Oahu than Kauai. Your best bet is to do your homework and research beforehand before jumping to maybe the wrong island.
It's better to get your feet wet here and then branch out to other islands. Here is something to think about. Honolulu is the 12th largest city in the United States. So it is naturally the location for most of the jobs in Hawaii. Out of those jobs, close to 80% of the higher paying jobs are union jobs. With your husband's line of work,it should be possible for him to find a job here and maybe find those around or near the airports here in Hawaii.
You can try craigslist for all of the islands but most likely,you will find them here on Oahu. Another thing you have to consider is that you need to have money set aside to live up to a year without a job if needed.
Also,whatever $$ amount you come up with to move here,take that same amount and multiple by 3 and you're in the ballpark. There is so many hidden expenses when moving here that you just don't count on. Even Matson has raised their prices twice this year alone. I would say that it would cost around $1500 to move one vehicle from the Port of Los Angeles to Honolulu right now. Then you have to get Hawaii plates within 30 days and that is based on weight instead of Blue Book Values now and they are in the process of doubling those fees and taxes. That is just one example of hidden costs. So do your research and homework before jumping onto a plane or giving up everything to move here. Look at every possible angle and opportunity. I will say this though,you can buy good vehicles here for a decent price and low miles on them.
I really do hope this does work out for you. This is a great place to live even though we do get some great storms and bad tsunamis. For the most part,we have great weather all year round. Schools are good and a great place to raise the kids and a very low crime rate and the best police departments around.
Good luck with the research and move. We wish you the best and feel free to come back with more questions. We will do our best to answer them. Thanks and Mahalo!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-25-2011, 01:29 AM
I get to be in Kauai in about 2 months!!!!Big Grin
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
(03-25-2011 01:29 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  I get to be in Kauai in about 2 months!!!!Big Grin

Dude-
Are you able to fly direct or have to change flights in HNL?
Envious of your upcoming trip.
It doesn't look like a trip to the islands is in our plans for this year.
03-26-2011, 01:37 AM
I will be on Oahu first buddy! Then off to Kauai to chill out!Looking like a week on each island, my 2 favorite Hawaiian islands! I will take lots of pics to show you. I tried to win you and your wife some tickets to Hawaii by playing the lottery last night but I did not win!Confused I will keep trying to win you some tickets though! Some person won the lottery in New York. I think it was 300 million!
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow,300 million? That's a lot of money for me to give away. I wouldn't want to own that much dough. Nice car,nice house,maybe some rental properties, college for the kiddies and good health is all that is needed. I think it would be fun to create ways to give it all away,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
It was 314 million! I know I bought a ticket or 2! found out today that 39 other states play it , so does DC and the Virgin Isles...never had a chance!

anne
Find all posts by this user
03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
We didn't buy a ticket but we talked about it.
But we talked about it............
We decided that after we moved to Maui and gave each of our relatives their piece, paid the half in taxes, the only one that would make out like a bandit would be the gov't so decided to not buy a ticket Smile