Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hawaii's nature is beautiful but not without dangers
05-31-2011, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2011 07:46 PM by kaniamea.)
Hawaii's nature is beautiful but not without dangers
I just read in the newspaper that today an 8-year-old girl was killed by a rockslide at Oheo Gulch (also known as Seven Sacred Pools). This place is located near Hana on Maui's east shore. There are many small waterfalls cascading down the mountain and into small pools. It's a popular visitor attraction and many tour buses stop here as well. But unfortunately, this place is quite dangerous especially after a recent rainfall.

Flash floods have happened here in the past and swept people away all the way into the ocean. Today it wasn't a flash flood that killed this young girl, but a rockslide. Rockslides are also common in Hawaii. Every few months I read a story that a rockfall happened somewhere. Scientists are not sure yet why today's rockslide happened. There were no earthquakes in this area in the past week. Rockslides can also be triggered by heavy rainfall.

When I did a Road to Hana tour a few years ago, there was a minor rockslide on the highway. The bad thing is that just like flash floods they happen very quickly and without warning. So quickly that you can't get out of the way most of the time. On Mother's Day 1999, a rockslide occurred at the popular Oahu waterfall called Sacred Falls killing 8 people and injuring 50 others. The trail to the waterfall was closed permanently after this tragedy. I wonder if they will permanently close this popular Maui visitor attraction as well after today's accident. After all, this young girl's death wasn't the first one that has happened here and unfortunately won't be the last.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
RE: Hawaii's nature is beautiful but not without dangers
So sad. In 17 visits to the islands, I have never been in the pools. (Done the Toilet Bowl a few times though on Oahu) I have ankles that are very weak so rock climbing is not an option for me.
Quote this message in a reply