Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:27 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hawaii's Sausage Trees in Ala Moana Park
02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Hawaii's Sausage Trees in Ala Moana Park
Often times when I was walking in Ala Moana Park, I have seen these trees with the long, sausage-like fruits dangling down. I have always wondered what this type of tree is called. Because I didn't know its name, I made up my own and called it sausage tree. A couple of days ago I borrowed a book from the library about trees in Hawaii. I saw a picture of this tree and read the caption. Guess what? This tree is really called sausage tree! I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this and had to LOL!

These sausage-shaped fruits (they are not edible though) fall down from time to time, so watch out when you walk under a sausage tree. Often times I wonder how people can just calmly walk or even picnic under such a tree without being scared of being knocked out by a heavy sausage falling onto their heads.

One time a few years ago I took a sausage home and I tried to cut it open with a knife to see what's inside. I couldn't even cut it because it is so dense and basically like a piece of wood.

The tree in the picture below stands right next to the busy Ala Moana Blvd. and there are quite some big sausages dangling down from this one, ready to fall any moment. And when they do, they will fall right onto the road. Kind of scary to think what a heavy sausage could do to a car's windshield.

So when in Hawaii, besides watching out for palms laden with ripe coconuts that may fall down any minute, keep your eyes open for these even heavier sausages as well.

Here are some more sausage tree pictures.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
RE: Hawaii's Sausage Trees in Ala Moana Park
I thought that I had seen every thing until now ! Really look like a susage don't they.
In November we were in a muncipal garden on Maui. Just like an old maintenance man, when seeing a breadfruit on the sidewalk, I picked it up laided it in the grass. About that time a groundskeeper drove up in a cart and asked me if I needed to clean my sticky hands . Smile Guess she knew more than I did.
02-12-2011, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 04:22 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I have driven pass these trees a few dozen times and really never looked at them. It really looks like Cat Tails on a tree to me,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-17-2015, 08:14 AM
I remember sitting under one of those trees. I picked up one of the "sausages" from the ground, felt how heavy it was, and immediately got out from under that tree!
Find all posts by this user