Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:06 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hawaii on Social Security
03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Thumbs Down Hawaii on Social Security
Hi, if this has already been discussed here elsewhere I'll apologize for my oversight but I couldn't find it, so here goes...

My mom is old, on social security, & without serious major health concerns at the moment is still closer to passing away than we'd like to admit. She's always wanted to live in Hawaii (no particular island preference) but due to work & other responsibilities has never had the opportunity to do so. I'm thinking it would be wonderful if I could help her make this so in her last years but obviously there are financial concerns. I'd be coming with her & am also on SSI (ie disabled but able to shop, etc & help take care of her as well as needed). Neither of us are interested in fancy housing, night life, or any other luxuries beyond adequate food, shelter, clothing & other basic necessities. We're quite used to 'making ends meet' within our modest means.

My question is this... what are the chances of 2 people on Social Security moving to & just simply living on any of the Hawaiian Islands under these financial restrictions? (I'm not asking to address any of the SS/Gov/Medicare, etc guidelines... only asking for opinions regarding the potentials of the cheapest of lifestyles without being completely homeless, etc)

Thank you all very much for any comments... Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
RE: Hawaii on Social Security
Aloha Gjinja and welcome to our forum. As you probably already know, the cost of living (including rent) is quite high in Hawaii. Since I don't know what your income is, it's difficult to estimate if it would be enough. The most affordable island I would say is the Big Island (area around Hilo, Puna and Ka'u District). But if you live there, you definitely need a car. There are obviously people in Hawaii who make it on their SSI, but I'm not sure if they are renters. They might also share a rental with other family members so split the rent or they may own the place. Again, not knowing your circumstances makes it difficult to make recommendations. If you're looking to rent a small studio on Oahu for example, you're looking at about $900 and up per month. Kauai and Maui are the same. On the Big Island you might be able to find a studio for $600 if you're lucky. Why don't you take a look at craigslist.org to get a general idea of what rents are like? When it comes to food, you would have to shop at farmer's markets. Food stores are generally also expensive. Last time I was on the Big Island I found that prices were higher than on Oahu.
01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
RE: Hawaii on Social Security
Not sure if you have made the move yet, but I live on the Big Island and if you have any questions, I would love to help you.
03-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Rainbow RE: Hawaii on Social Security
(01-10-2014 06:37 AM)Hilo Girl Wrote:  Not sure if you have made the move yet, but I live on the Big Island and if you have any questions, I would love to help you.

Aloha Hilo Girl. My husband and I are in the same boat as the other pister about being in Social Security and wanting to live in the islands. We make about $3200 a month together and are concerned about whether Big Island would have the Dr's my husband would need. We have hanai ohana in Kona and on the Hilo side so at least we would have ohana around. Our biggest concerns are, as I said, the right Dr's (pain management & cardiologist) and the amount of rent. We would only need a 1 bedroom, downstairs, and it would be nice to have washer/dryer hookups. We are familiar with the traditions, culture, customs & the olelo of Hawai'i, so I know we would be a good fit. But after rent, utilities, food, car ins, I wonder if we can do it on what we make. Mahalo nui for your time sis. Aloha

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 44.96 KB / Downloads: 21)