Current time: 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Happy Aloha Friday
03-25-2011, 01:25 AM
RE: Happy Aloha Friday
Happy Aloha Friday to you and everyone else! I will be going to the PCC when I get to Hawaii soon. That is one of my favorite things on Oahu. My Hawaii addiction is in full gear. I will get my fix in about 2 months.Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Wish I was there ..flying kites...and enjoying the sunshine....

all I have is very cold weather with spitting snow!

anne
Find all posts by this user
05-20-2011, 02:31 AM
It is Aloha Friday! We should all be in Hawaii right now!!!!!Big Grin
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Aloha Friday again, and this time it's Kamehameha Day! Here's to the great Hawaiian monarch for uniting the islands.
06-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Aloha and welcome to our ohana forum. It is wonderful to see local membership as well as long distance membership as well. It can be a fine balance between both here but I think we try to point out more things at a local perspective and how it can impact tourism in a positive or negative way.
Since I am a long time vacationer to the islands and now been a resident for two years now, I can clearly see both points of view of a subject and can give input from both perspectives.
I may post an opinion here based on a observation to spark a pro and con conversation from both points of view. I do know how it feels to come to Hawaii as a tourist and still do remember what Waikiki was like before I moved here.
For example, I remember Waikiki before homelessness became an issue but I also remember what Waikiki was like when every drinking fountain along the beach worked also. I remember seeing many runners that were here for the Honolulu Marathon trying to use the drinking fountains and couldn't. Since our new mayor has been in office,these still have not been repaired nor cleaned and I was hoping that basic things such as this would have been dealt with by now.
Another example is the once beautiful fountain,The Wave,located at the entrance of Kapiolani Beach Park. It use to be full of these brown lava rocks but was full of debris and what looked like pine needles. Recently,I was happy to see them cleaning the base of this fountain and thought that they were going to get this beautiful fountain up and running again but I was so wrong.
They instead,removed those lava rocks and then poured wet concrete into it and walked away. The end result is that it was vandalized by many people while the concrete was still wet and is now a major eye sore. This concrete now needs to be jack-hammered out and repaired again. Again, a waste of time and taxpayers limited resources. It would have been better to have left this fountain alone and wait for a proper repair than to create a new eye sore.It is really sad because this use to be the best fountain in Waikiki.
If anyone has a picture of this fountain from it's glory years,please post it here. It is a picture of a surfer riding a wave and is located next to the big Banyan Tree at the entrance to the park while walking towards the Honolulu Aquarium.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
06-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Is this the fountain you are talking about?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  p82569-Honolulu-Kapiolani_Park.jpg (Size: 47.52 KB / Downloads: 52)
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
This is the shot I have, how about a current picture...

.jpg  The Wave.jpg (Size: 174.98 KB / Downloads: 52)
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
(06-13-2011 11:01 AM)Bobby Wrote:  This is the shot I have, how about a current picture...

Great Pic! It will suffice for me personally as I don't remember ever seeing the fountain. Thanks for posting it.
08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Happy Aloha Friday everyone. I hope everyone had a great week and that everyone has a great weekend.
Getting back to the subject of this fountain and I have to laugh. I had told everyone how they removed all of the lava rocks and poured wet concrete into it just to let everyone graffiti the heck out of it.
Well, I finally got a new camera and went to take pictures of this fountain in detail and you are going to laugh at this. That concrete had to be jack-hammered out or chipped out as some of the locals said, only to have the lava rock put back in. I will say this though, it looks nice in a way. They cemented the lava rock back into place and then used what looks like black paint to covers the cemented areas between the rocks,lol.
It seems that everything is done two or three times,if not more before it is finished.A good example is our streets,water mains and torches along Kalakaua, which they still haven't finished yet.
The newspapers are although reporting that everything that is broken here will be fixed before the APEC Meeting that is suppose to happen this coming November. There is suppose to be 28 world leaders from the Pacific Rims nations plus one worthless one from the US.
One word of warning if you are planning a trip to Oahu this November, the word on the street is everyone that lives here should stock up on food and fuel before the APEC meeting begins because travel in Waikiki will be severely limited and that during the meeting, certain gas stations will be for members and staff for APEC and not open for public use. That they will close Ala Wai Blvd,McCully, Kapiolani to Kapahulu and many more. Lewers Street was also mentioned to be closed to the public due to many of the leaders and their staff staying at the Hilton and Sheraton hotels. Don't know how true some of this stuff is from the rumor mills here but I'm guessing that there might be some truth to some of this though.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Bobby or John, you might join us on facebook and "Being Conservative" blog. I like your attitude in this matter. Personally I think it is time for a change. Mostly in the entire Washington mess. I really like to stay away from political arguements because nobody ever wins, but most get their feelings hurt. Our elected president was given too much clout with too little experience in my opinion and is going to hurt a whole bunch of people. But let's face it, he could not do it alone or without support. That is why opinions make a difference on election day and that is really where we need to voice them. My concern is that we , without adequate research and honest presentations, might hire someone new just for the sake of it and be having this conversation in another 4 years.
I can tell by reading the above mentioned blog that so many folks make comments by the thousands without giving it much thought but rather just a form of documenting their "like" vote. Again my fear is that they will react the same way at the poles. I think that it is clear that with a person so openly ridiculed even before his inaguration, that it is possible that he won't be re-elected. I think though, that we need to dispense that same energy to support a new contender and give the basic reason's why that person should be a choice.
Right now Todd, I am pretty PO'd with our illustrious leaders too, or maybe I should say Jeanne's heirs should be for tossing 40% percent of their inheritence out of the window this week. Perhaps we should toss theirs out of the window also to let them see the frustration we find in their actions. End of my comments. I hope that they are received in the light that I send them and take nothing personal from them.