Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Future Hawaii Resident with Questions
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Future Hawaii Resident with Questions
Hello there friends. My name is Stephanie, and my husband and I decided earlier this year that are finally 'final' in our decision to move to Hawaii. Knowing nothing of Hawaii, I would love to hear from ANYONE who knows where to begin. We have 2 dogs and a cat, and aren't planning to move till I am finished with college. I am in school to be a Labor & Delivery RN, with hopes of getting accepted into the DMS program. If anyone can tell me how hard it is to secure a place with our four legged family members, that is where I would like to start. I have been hardcore researching and am worried about that issue the most. My second question is what is a good savings account balance to have once we get there? I am certain from my studying that getting a job is almost impossible unless you are being sent to Hawaii for a job. I do understand that to get a job you need to be present on the island. Is there good job opportunities for an RN? Would that profession be able to support a family of two until my husband finds a job? Are there renters out there who would trust a family with three pets to move in? Any information is appreciated and I would love to hear from people who can answer these questions. Thanks & God bless!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2013, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:07 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Future Hawaii Resident with Questions
Aloha Stephanie and welcome to our forum. I don't know how hard it is to get a job as a RN in Hawaii, but we had a recent thread about this where someone else had asked the same question, see here: http://www.to-hawaii.com/forums/Thread-m...h-a-friend

Yes, it is best to look for a job when you're already in Hawaii. Same with finding an apartment. Also, it will be more difficult to find a place where pets are allowed. If you find a place that allows pets, landlords often times charge you more (one time I lived in a place where it cost an extra $50/month for each dog or cat with a maximum of two small pets allowed).

Rents in general are quite high in Hawaii, so for many people the rent is the biggest expense. A small one-bedroom apartment in Honolulu for example usually costs $1,500 and up. There is a table on this page that lists the average rent on each island: https://www.to-hawaii.com/moving-to-hawaii.php

So considering the high cost of living, you'll need at least $3,000 per month as a couple if you're lucky to find a small affordable rental. It would be a good idea to have savings that would cover at least 3 months, so plan to have at least $9,000 in your savings account before moving to Hawaii. The more the better. If you can, plan a visit before you move to see if Hawaii is really what you think it is.
12-31-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Future Hawaii Resident with Questions
eleakai,
Thanks so much for your information. I am going to look at those threads you sent me right now. I am so excited about his move, and have been since the beginning of this year. However, with the new year coming, I want to start saving more and try to start researching some of the islands more thoroughly, and see what would suit our lifestyle and our budget. We will be renting to start out, but hopefully will be able to purchase a home at some point, if the move is successful and Hawaii loves us as much as we think we love Hawaii. I have started a savings already to make the trip over at some point, although I am sure it will be a couple of years due to my school schedule. I have three more years of school left, but I think this is a decision that takes consideration and time, so I am started early. Thanks so much for you help! Many blessings! Stephanie Big Grin