Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:26 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fire at Waikiki Beach Marriott
03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Fire at Waikiki Beach Marriott
A call went out to the Honolulu Fire Department at 1:40 pm for a fire at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. I hear firetrucks day in and day out but today was different. First firetruck,then two,four and then six or more. I saw people filling the streets and the parking lots. The security did a very good job of getting everyone out safely. The fire was declared out at 2:11pm.
The most important thing was that the Waikiki Beach Marriott has a sprinkler systems while many buildings here don't based on the year that they were built. The fire was located on the second floor in the kitchen storage room. The sprinklers in this case and almost all cases, did their job and contained the fire quickly. There is always going to be smoke and water damage but lives were saved and the fire damage is only minor.
Last month, there was a fire in a condo a few blocks away in a building that exempt from having sprinklers because it was built the year before the current laws went into effect years ago. The end result was that four condos ended up seriously damaged instead of one. The only good side of the fire was that no one died but maybe next time will be different. Maybe it won't be so lucky next time. It's like driving 180 mph without a helmet and without seat belts. You can only get lucky so many times before it kills someone. Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 08:14 PM
RE: Fire at Waikiki Beach Marriott
Wow! There is really a lot going on these days! I think it should be mandatory to have sprinklers in all buildings. So many old buildings have to do some catch up work, but I think it would be worth the investment money. One can't put a price on a human life saved, after all.

I have my own story regarding this, and luckily in my case, it's a happy ending too. A few years ago when I still lived in another building and shared my apartment with a roommate, my apartment almost burned down. I was out in the morning to do some shopping. My roommate had the stove on and was cooking some food (I think it was chicken feet). The problem was that she decided to have a nap while she left the stove on to cook her meat.

When I came home a few hours after I left, I noticed thick white smoke coming out of my windows. I opened the door and wasn't able to see anything. I stretched out my hands and tried to find the source of the smoke and noticed the red light on the stove was on. I could hardly navigate through the kitchen, let alone breathe! The smoke was so thick and nauseating. I turned the stove off right away and ran to my roommate's door, screaming. She stumbled out and we both ran outside to catch our breath.

We were both lucky that day. I guess a few minutes later and she could have died in a big apartment fire. There were no sprinklers in this apartment and not even a working fire alarm. So I definitely think that both should be mandatory in all buildings.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2011, 03:11 AM
I videotaped the press conference from the HFD Information officer and it was brought up about two roll away beds that were damaged in fire and I was joking about and asked if the bed bugs were suspects for this fire,lol?
But seriously, Pipeline Cafe was recently closed forever because the owner could not afford to update his building with sprinklers to be compliant with fire codes for businesses. It seems that these changes that the fire department has been asking for recently should have been decided long ago before it became so costly to do but regardless,it still needs to be done.
03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
WOW! Such beautiful and scary pictures....I have never been in an fire and hope I never do!

anne
03-14-2011, 01:40 AM
I hope I don't get burned up when I am in Hawaii! I know I am hot, but I should not burn up! LMAO Big Grin
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
(03-14-2011 01:40 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  I hope I don't get burned up when I am in Hawaii! I know I am hot, but I should not burn up! LMAO Big Grin

you are soooo silly! LMAO! Tongue

anne
03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
(03-14-2011 09:45 AM)Anne Wrote:  
(03-14-2011 01:40 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  I hope I don't get burned up when I am in Hawaii! I know I am hot, but I should not burn up! LMAO Big Grin

you are soooo silly! LMAO! Tongue

anne

I think both of you should stay at the same hotel. Like two peas in a pod,lol.
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
May I ask, what year was this hotel built? I'm new to the boards, and I'm aware I could Google this and get the answer, I am just wanting to get to know everyone Smile The hotel I have reservations for was built in 1970, so I'm hoping they have the sprinkler system. Mahalo ~
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Good question. I have no idea when the Waikiki Beach Marriott was built, but I googled it and the results that came up said that the Kealohilani Tower was built in 1971 and the Paoakalani Tower in 1979.
04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
The fire that started this thread was the one that had sprinklers, so after 1975 is the correct answer. The Paoakalani Tower is where the fire was. The 40 thousand dollar question is whether the Kealohilani Tower was ever retrofitted with a sprinkler system. I can tell you this much though. Most of these buildings have quarterly fire and evacuation drills. They have the elevators connected to computers that send all the elevators to the ground floor or lobby level for the firemen to go up to the fire quickly. That you are better off staying in your condo or hotel room unless you want to walk down 23 flights of stairs.
After the first bombing at the World Trade Center in NYC, they had this security consultant that was hired to come up with a evacuation plan for those buildings and boy was he hated. Most of the injuries from that bombing was from people using the elevators or breathing the smoke that came up the shafts while waiting for the next ride down.
He figured that most of those injuries could have been avoided if everyone had used the emergency stairwells instead and he was right. During the Bush Brothers and 9/11 terrorists attacks on both towers on Sept.11, 2001, thousands of lives were saved because the workers in both of those towers had trained and drilled for that day. We still lost over 3000 souls but that paled in comparison to the amount of people who worked or resided at those buildings.
There is a fascinating documenterary on the Discovery Channel that talks about the events of 9/11 and the fact that there were second and third explosions on different floors of both World Trade Center buildings after the planes had hit and brought both buildings down perfectly straight down as if it had happen in Las Vegas. Do you remember the old MGM Grand Hotel and the Landmark in Las Vegas,both were taken down with no damage to the other surrounding buildings? The charges were set to go off towards the center of the building first by milliseconds before the outer charges to bring the buildings straight down. It talks about one of the Bush brothers having an insurance policy on those building and another one being in charge of security for both. That the bomb sniffing dogs were not allowed at the police substation the two weeks prior to the attacks and that new security officers were seen bring in pallets of boxes into both buildings during those two weeks. Could that have been explosives and timers?
You should check out the Discovery Channel, it's a great educational tool for the whole family. I find myself watching that channel a lot at times because tv programming is so boring here in Hawaii. Over 200 hundred channels and nothing to watch,lol.