Current time: 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
February camping
02-23-2012, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:36 PM by eleakai.)
February camping
Last weekend I went on another camping trip to Malaekahana. It was a windy and chilly weekend, but the campground (Malaekahana State Recreation Area - Kahuku Section) was full of happy campers. I got up in the morning and had a nice long walk on the beach. Here are some sunrise and camping photos I took.

This campground is very popular, but unfortunately many of the facilities are run down and even dangerous. The common area and two of the bathrooms are in a very rusty shack (called "comfort zone") with rusty metal pieces dangling from the ceiling, ready to fall down any moment. The toilets are only checked and cleaned once a day in the morning, so usually in the afternoon they are clogged up and overflowing. I took some photos of the toilets and common areas and the way they looked in February 2012. I love this campground, but if I had to give it a rating from 1 to 5 stars, I would give it 1 star because many of the facilities are in bad shape.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 12:42 AM
RE: February camping
I didn't notice this thread earlier but our family went camping last February at that beach park across from Chinamen's Hat. Nice beach park,just went camping there again this past June.
I will say that it does get windy on this side of the island and storms will pop up without much notice sometimes. Which is what happen this past February. Stayed there Friday night, Saturday,and left Sunday. Saturday night,there was lightning and thunder up in the mountains above us but no rain for us. There was many of us that had a bon fire most of the night and just talking story. It was nice,just cool enough to wear a jacket.
I believe the name of this park is called Kualoa Regional Beach Park and we stayed at Campsite A which came with a full size outdoor kitchen. This was next to the fish ponds and right at this beautiful beach. They call this the old Hawaii and I could see why,it doesn't look like nothing has changed in this area for years.
This is not the best park that I've stayed at on this island but it is a good one though. It's just the sudden storms that blows in off the ocean that gives me any kind of negative rating for this park. I will say that this park is worth a weekend of camping but prepare for the worst weather. Last time, a sudden storm broke 8 sections of my fiberglass poles for my Coleman tent and I will never buy a Coleman tent ever again. Not because of their tents but because of their extremely poor communications when trying to replace the two main sections of poles from Coleman,which after two months,they still will not replace those two main poles even if I pay for them. It's a very long and dumb story,you'd have to experience that one yourself,lol.
As far as the pictures of the restrooms,yes,that is true for almost everywhere here in Hawaii. It's more important to build a rail to nowhere for $billions of dollars to take a few rich drunks off the road(a few dozen cars at the most) than to put that same $$ into the infrastructure where it's needed most. These politicians are to busy building monuments of themselves than to fix what's right or what is needed. It is sad to see some of this stuff for the most beautiful place on earth.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
09-14-2012, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 02:20 PM by eleakai.)
My boys and I camped at Mokuleia, a church camp across from Dillingfield actually this past March and it was way cool save for the horrid Koa nuts under us. Had I known or were it to do all over, I would have raked the ground forever and brought more things to erect the tent we bought so as not to have to come back from exploring all day and have to haul it back from a few yards away where it had blown and struggle to reset it up all over every night.

Being that it was so far from the airport, we got a room downtown for the last night so as not to miss the flight (which we did anyway for other reasons, lol).
Found a guy asking for help on the strip so I asked if he wanted afformentioned tent and sleeping bags and airplane blankets. Hopefully, I didn't break his back adding all that to his load to carry.
09-14-2012, 09:49 AM
I have always wanted to go to this campground but never had the chance yet. I like the sunset photo!
09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Sorry but that is east and therefore sunrise.
I arranged my stay over the phone and emails prior to arrival and never even met anyone there in the office to be sure I was in the right place or anything but every night I returned to our tent and stuff still there so it must have been secure.
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, that's right. The sun is rising over the mountains in the east towards Laie. But I guess the sunsets there must be nice too, especially in the summer months. I usually camp at Malaekahana Bay (the Kahuku section). There you have to sign in when you arrive and they tell you the code for gate. Otherwise you can't drive in. But I like it because it's a bit safer than just camping somewhere on a beach (mainly because of my camera equipment that I carry around to pretty much anywhere I go on the island).
09-14-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.campmokuleia.com/

This is where we were. They told me how to reach over the gate and unlock it via email. We would get in as late as 11-1 every night and it was always very quiet. Had two guys come up and offer assistance with my insane tent and resetting it on two different nights. If I didn't mention it tho, the KOA nuts are everywhere and hurt hurt under your body. My boys took to calling them satan's spawn, LOL and the 4th night, one slept in the Jeep and me and the other slept on two different picnic tables (which wasn't entirely better!).
I have since asked if they have a long term rate but they said they don't do that anymore.