Current time: 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exploring the Puna district
03-16-2011, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:19 PM by eleakai.)
Exploring the Puna district
Yesterday I did a tour along the Kapoho Kalapana Road 137. This road is very scenic and it is definitely worth touring it. The road is a bit narrow in most of the areas and it winds along tropical vegetation on both sides, lush forests and as you come close to Kehena you can see the ocean. At the end of the road there is a parking lot, restrooms and a cafe (Kalapana Village Cafe). From the parking area there is a trail that passes through lava rocks and leads to a black sand beach (New Kaimu Beach). It is a very scenic trail and you can see the lava shimmer in the sun. You can tell it was a recent eruption because the lava rocks look "fresh".

Kapoho-Kalapana Road 137

Kaimu Beach Eco-Path and New Kaimu Black Sand Beach

Two other interesting attractions along the Kapoho Kalapana Road are Mackenzie State Park (a large park with many trees where the main attraction is the splashing waves at the ledge) and Kehena Black Sand Beach (a steep trail leads to this nude beach). Near Kehena Beach there was a guy that was selling coconuts. I bought a large one, which was very tasty and sweet. I loved it! He also asked me where I was from and I told him I live on Oahu. He then commented that the Big Island (and especially the Puna district) is 20 years behind Oahu and that he prefers it like that. I can totally relate to that. This whole area is one huge natural playground with one unique beach and rainforest after the next.

Kehena Black Sand Beach (Nude Beach in Hawaii)

Mackenzie State Park

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 12:25 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: Exploring the Puna district
I need to move there right now! But there are so many restrictions in the way.
Love the nude beach and Mackenzie State Park.
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Yes, it's truly a beautiful area. This area on the Big Island (Puna District) is actually one of the fastest growing areas in Hawaii when it comes to population growth. The reason is because it is still relatively affordable compared to other regions in Hawaii.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 12:18 AM
(03-04-2013 11:44 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  Yes, it's truly a beautiful area. This area on the Big Island (Puna District) is actually one of the fastest growing areas in Hawaii when it comes to population growth. The reason is because it is still relatively affordable compared to other regions in Hawaii.

Yes, in searching for accommodations, I did notice that it was quite expensive in most of Hawaii but the same can be said of NYC, Miami, LA. Prices have really gone up too much in the States and much of the world.