Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disaster's Elsewhere -Nebraska
06-15-2011, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:05 PM by eleakai.)
Disaster's Elsewhere -Nebraska
With the necessity of building Nuclear power plants near a large water source , also comes the possibility of floods.
Nebraska is not exempt. The recent flooding of the Missouri River bottoms this summer, includes a local nuclear power plant. It has been shut down until the waters recede, which might be months according to estimates.
This is a current picture.

The black ring at the base of the main building, is a water filled rubber tube to serve as a dike.
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 06:58 PM
RE: Disaster's Elsewhere -Nebraska
Thanks for posting this info. It wasn't on the news here in Hawaii, or at least I didn't see it anywhere. What is the current situation there? Has the water receded? It's scary to think that even a simple rainfall can be a threat to a nuclear power plant. There doesn't even have to be an earthquake or tsunami to cause a catastrophe.

The image you posted doesn't show up for some reason.
Find all posts by this user
06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
(06-17-2011 06:58 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  Thanks for posting this info. It wasn't on the news here in Hawaii, or at least I didn't see it anywhere. What is the current situation there? Has the water receded? It's scary to think that even a simple rainfall can be a threat to a nuclear power plant. There doesn't even have to be an earthquake or tsunami to cause a catastrophe.

The image you posted doesn't show up for some reason.

The waters are not receding but still rising after three weeks. Volunteers are filling 100,000 + sandbags a day in just one area. This is the result of heavier than normal snowfalls and resultant snowmelts, with waters being carried from moutain ranges 500-800 miles away and across flatlands through the rivers. The major dams in South Dakota can no longer hold back the massive amounts of water and are releasing them.
The Missouri river width is no longer measured in feet, but now in miles. A major north south Insterstate Highway is now closed in areas that are under water.
06-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Here's the latest news...
http://omaha.com/article/20110617/NEWS01...at-reactor
06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for posting this. There is a lot of confidence in OPPD and their careful watch. BTW, my cousin travels world wide in procurement of the fuel source for the OPPD plants.
The forecast for the coming week includes a chance of thunderstorms. A chance might include what we experienced nearly two years ago with 11 inches of rain in 4 hours. You know what that would do to the existing problems.
Speaking of which, due to high waters and sewage treatment plants along the river; some are now forced to dump live sewage into the river. Hold your nose, KC Smile Of course I should not make light of this situation as it can be a very serious one.
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
We, here in Nebraska watch the misfortune of friends from all over the world.
At the moment, we are experiencing one of our own. It the the flatwater spread of the major tributary, Missouri River. At most times, the river is a slow to moderate flowing river, sometimes rising a few feet during spring snow melts and ice jambs. This year, we are the recipient of the product from the huge snowfalls experienced in the mountains to the west and north of us, mainly the Rocky Mountain range. Most water from the eastern slope of the continental divide will find it's way to the gulf of Mexico through a very few main vessels or rivers. Snow melt must have occured at a high rate.

The huge watershed impoundments on the Missouri were full to the brim and in danger of major damage to the dams. Water was released to the Missouri river. The result has been major flooding downstream.

Here is a slideshow of pictures of that flooding. Keep in mind that in only a few of the pictures, you will detect the actual riverbed or channel. Everything else is lowland flooding.
There is a fear now that the earthen dikes will only remain solid before they become saturated and turn into mud themselves.
Here is the show. You might read the hint below the link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045925...LLaoO7rm_qp1AE

Hint: At the top left of the list of pictures, is "View as slideshow". That is a good choice. Then also,the show is set for 2 seconds each slide. You can change it. I changed to 5 seconds for me. 2 seconds just isn't very long to digest what each pic is showing or read the captions.
The very last slide or picture is one of the Omaha skyline over the top of Interstate 29. At this point, the river must be 5 miles wide or more.
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 08:01 PM by kaniamea.)
I just clicked the link but it doesn't work. Can you post it again? Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation there. I can hardly imagine a river that's now miles wide. What is the effect on the nuclear plant? It is strange that this isn't really reported in the news. I mean, it's not in our news here in Hawaii, which I could still understand, but today as I was browsing CNN I also didn't find it there. Maybe I overlooked it, but overall it doesn't seem to be getting much publicity.
06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
I am sorry, the link isn't valid now. I started to post a new one but it had 1000 pics and that might be overkill. I am sure that I will see another one. There are actually two nuclear power plants involved now. According to "authorities" there is no danger but of course there is concern by locals. I believe the they are both shut down. I don't know what effect that them being shut down will have on supplies when the weather changes to super hot. It doesn't surprise me that it didn't make it to CNN. Many people don't even know where Nebraska is , much less interested in the happenings. The "futures" market prices on corn and soybeans has doubled in price since the flooding. The river bottoms are very fertile and supply a huge amount of production. Now there will be no crops this year and who knows, maybe next year.
The impact of a flood is terrible. Fires are bad. What once was, now is gone. With floods, everything is relocated. Take all of the herbicides and pesticides that were applied to fields, now have been deposited all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
You mean that Americans don't know where Nebraska is? That would be sad if that's true. Yes, you're right about the herbicides and pesticides. I didn't even think of that but it makes sense. The river flushes all of that into the ocean, not that the Gulf of Mexico isn't already polluted. It's good that these nuclear plants have been temporarily shut down.
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Here is the original link
https://picasaweb.google.com/10459253907...7rm_qp1AE#
Hope it works for you.
The poor shrimp in the gulf. If it's not oil, it's pesticides for them deal with.
It's the truth about Nebraska. If you ask 2/3 of the kids on the eastern seaboard, they probably don't know that Nebraska is even a state. Smile They don't teach geography in school anymore. When you give directions to a young person, it's best to be in "right or left" so they can look at their feet to understand. NSE or W don't count.

I have another pic of what a field might look like after flood, if I can figure out how to post a link to it. It is in an email slideshow, so not sure how to extract it but will try.