Current time: 12-11-2017, 04:27 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coqui frogs on the Big Island
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:26 PM by eleakai.)
Coqui frogs on the Big Island
Coqui frogs are an introduced species in Hawaii. The frogs arrived here by accident with plants from the Caribbean. Especially on the Big Island (on the island's eastern shore), they can be heard in the evening and night, basically from right before sunset until the early morning hours. It is difficult to spot them during the day because they are small and quiet during this time. At night they climb up on trees and do their mating song, which sounds like a tropical bird song.

While on the Big Island recently, I was actually first wondering why there are so many birds singing late at night, but then I remembered the coqui frogs, which some people, including the state of Hawaii, consider a pest. I use ear plugs at night so the frogs didn't bother me at all. And I enjoyed their singing in the evening. There have been many eradication programs in the past to get rid of the frogs, which include spraying the forests with acid and caustic lime to burn the frogs to death. Unfortunately this has also impacted other animals as well as plants. Here is a picture and a video that I took one evening where you can hear the coqui frog song.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
RE: Coqui frogs on the Big Island
I like the sound of these little guys too but I don't think I would like a 100 of them outside my window and all of them trying to sing at the same time.
From your description, by the time these guys were discovered,it was basically too late for the State of Hawaii to get rid of them. I will say that airborne spraying rarely works and comes with a lot of hidden dangers like our government's use of Agent Orange in Vietnam during the war.
I wonder if a person can eat these frogs or are they poisonous? I love frog legs but I don't think that these guys get big enough for that. I was wondering if they get into the house like Geckos?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
In the area where I stayed, there were quite a few of these frogs chirping in the evening, but it was never up to a point that I felt overwhelmed or annoyed. But I also don't live there permanently, so I don't know how that would feel like.

The frogs are not poisonous, but I don't think that you could eat them because as you said yourself, they are too small for that. Also, I would think they are hard to catch because they are silent during the day and blend in perfectly in their environment.

I don't know if they invade people's homes. So far I haven't heard of that. I only noticed plenty of large, green geckos in my Big Island vacation rental. They were basically everywhere, the kitchen, living room, bathroom and laundry room.
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
The local Hawaiians consider geckos a sign of good luck to have them in your home. Even I have one that lives on my lanai all the way up here on the 23rd floor. I just started hearing him about a week ago around the time we got our tsunamis here across the street. I've heard that they eat small bugs and roaches even though Foster Tower comes in here every three months to put a ribbon of some kind stuff under all three sinks in my condo. I never heard my other 3 neighbors complain on this floor either. Of course,I don't tell them that I have a gecko either,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user