Current time: 12-10-2017, 03:59 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Chinese New Years in Chinatown/Year of the Rabbit
01-31-2011, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2011 02:22 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Chinese New Years in Chinatown/Year of the Rabbit
Saturday was a fun day in Chinatown with the celebration of the Chinese New Years and of the Year of the Rabbit. Many of the streets were closed and vendors were set up and for people to walk around. The streets were very crowded and they had a number of stages with bands playing. One of my favorite bands there was an all girl band that I've seen before at last year's Spam Jam and the other was called "Hawaiian Soul' that played a lot of Motown music and top 40 tunes.

The food was very good and fairly cheap to purchase also.The kids enjoyed free candy that was given out during the parade and later we bought Cotton Candy and Shaved Ice. There is a mini mall in the middle of Chinatown that we found last year (see photos) that also served chinese and vietnamese food and we ate there for dinner.

Parking wasn't to bad and only costed us $5 US and was just across the street from where all the events started. What was missing according to many was the lack of firecrackers and we heard many people asking where they could buy some or whether there was going to be any fireworks by the city of Honolulu. The new fireworks ban again has gone way to far and has become a big embarrassment for our local politicians here,who has always,shown more ignorance than understanding when trying to deal with a problem. The fireworks ban was orginally suppose to go after illegal fireworks such as mortars and skyrockets capable of taking out houses,not sparklers and firecrackers. It seems that our elected officials lack the basic common sense that is really needed for their jobs. Even with this big disappointment,we still had a lot of fun. Just word of the wise,flip flops are not advisable during such a crowded event. My feet were stepped on a few times and I overheard many other people dealing with the same thing too,lol.

The official start of Chinese New Years isn't until this coming Wednesday but was celebrated on Friday and Saturday in Chinatown. Many temples will have their own events this coming Wednesday and we are looking at going to one or two of these events on Wednesday were the monks offer their words of wisedom and luck for the new year. This is also where the temple and monks offer Li see or little red envelopes with fortunes or money. Oranges for your Buddha display at home is also usually given away for good luck. We are looking forward to that the most. Enjoy the pictures.

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
RE: Chinese New Years in Chinatown/Year of the Rabbit
It is really nice to see this post and pictures! Happy New Year everyone!
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
(01-31-2011 11:35 AM)kaniamea Wrote:  It is really nice to see this post and pictures! Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you very much! Today is officially my New Years Day. I took the whole family to a local temple here last night for the midnight service but skipped today's services today because the kids were in school but held one at home last night on the lanai.

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks like a really fun day!!!!!Big Grin